LL should buy the Cinnamon and Chai bodies from Slink

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

If the actual mesh product, shirt, pants, etc had parts that go invisible, it could be done with one texture, couldn't it?  However, it still doesn't mean all items will match even if parts of shirts or pants disappear in stages.  

It couldn't, although mesh with different faces could selectively hide by face, but typically a pant leg will have just one face.  There is also a limit to how many faces each mesh can have.  And yes, you're right, it still wouldn't fix all clipping.  I guess it's all part of the fun of shopping in world!  Of course, if you buy a complete outfit in world it absolutely should all work together in all combinations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackRaybold said:

Not an uncommon attitude, sadly. It comes from an inability or unwillingness to recognise that revenue or anything else is directly proportional to effort.

Now I've got an Alanis Morrisette song stuck in my head.

Well, I do. Sorry.

You have an excellent point, Jack. However, all of the standardization that would make life easier for new people would create massive time-eating bottlenecks and reduce flexibility and creativity. And it would do nothing for everything that's already out there.

There have been fairly successful user-developed standards:  "Standard sizing" made the mesh clothing industry possible. Omega appliers worked fairly well. But Second Life in general moves so fast that things pop up faster than standards can be developed, except for de facto standards like the new LeLutka head UV map. And anything involving Linden Lab will be even slower.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackRaybold said:

Not an uncommon attitude, sadly. It comes from an inability or unwillingness to recognise that revenue is directly proportional to effort.

LL are "god-mode" to SL.  SL is a world solely created by it's residents.  It's kinda like the Lindens give us free will to make it work here together and they also don't want to stifle creativity.  SL is user-created content, even though some content may be imported from elsewhere now.  When SLINK came out with her feet we were all pretty happy, doos feets on the Classic avatars are ugly.  Funny, how we might have all been starring down at our new beautiful Slink feet and shoes all those years ago.  SLINK brand revolutionized SL.  My first reaction at hearing they were leaving was a tear.  

2 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

LL are "god-mode" to SL.  SL is a world solely created by it's residents.  It's kinda like the Lindens give us free will to make it work here together and they also don't want to stifle creativity.  SL is user-created content, even though some content may be imported from elsewhere now.  When SLINK came out with her feet we were all pretty happy, doos feets on the Classic avatars are ugly.  Funny, how we might have all been starring down at our new beautiful Slink feet and shoes all those years ago.  SLINK brand revolutionized SL.  My first reaction at hearing they were leaving was a tear.  

hehehe remember when you bought a pair of shoes that had the feet in them?  hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

It absolutely isn't. Those of us who find a slender body preferable found it to be. . .dumpy. 

It is really neither curvy nor slender, imo, but rather I think she was attempting to be more realistic with skeletal bones, joints and some muscles.  I really do not like the neck from the picture I will add below.  Although when I became an oil painter a long time ago and was studying the human body, I found the neck to be one of the most unattractive parts of the human body.   I never liked necks but this neck in this picture below is too pronounced and I love jewelry and hair far more than necks.  I like how Cinnamon Chai is a bit realistic for an average women in the photo below but I couldn't say it is something I would buy.

I honestly feel that she didn't sell many of these during this recession, sale or no, and it may have hurt her feelings.  But, she needs to realize, other creators are hurting too.  Black Friday was deserted just about everywhere I went.    

Screenshot (1590).png

Just now, Blaise Glendevon said:

That's weird. Black Friday and the holiday sales were booming when I tried to get in. 

I went for clothing so there was no one there at the places I went.  But, I found the complete opposite of what you found.  I also went to one clothing store for a fatpack and there was NO Black Friday sale at all period.  So, I don't know what you encountered.   

Anyhow, I hope we can get back on topic because we had two completely different experiences, you and I.  And it adds nothing to the topic.

I brought it up because it does hurt when someone doesn't like your item but it is also a recession.  RL spending is way down in rl.  If creators aren't selling enough or may be going negative, it may be time for them to close.  Expecting infinite support for an item seems unrealistic to me as a creator.  

15 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

It is really neither curvy nor slender, imo, but rather I think she was attempting to be more realistic with skeletal bones, joints and some muscles.  I really do not like the neck from the picture I will add below.  Although when I became an oil painter a long time ago and was studying the human body, I found the neck to be one of the most unattractive parts of the human body.   I never liked necks but this neck in this picture below is too pronounced and I love jewelry and hair far more than necks.  I like how Cinnamon Chai is a bit realistic for an average women in the photo below but I couldn't say it is something I would buy.

I honestly feel that she didn't sell many of these during this recession, sale or no, and it may have hurt her feelings.  But, she needs to realize, other creators are hurting too.  Black Friday was deserted just about everywhere I went.    

Screenshot (1590).png

Every time I see that picture, all I can think is "man hands".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Between Nov. 1 and Dec. 24, U.S. retail sales increased by 7.6% compared to the same period in 2021, according to the latest Mastercard Spending Pulse report. 

That's credit card and I haven't heard the December numbers but November, consumer spending was down.

--Retail sales for November declined 0.6%, even worse than the Dow Jones estimate for a 0.3% drop.--

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/15/retail-sales-november-2022-sales-fall-0point6percent-as-consumers-feel-pressure-from-inflation.html

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Every time I see that picture, all I can think is "man hands".

I noticed the hands as well but to me I thought the hands are too big and you are right though in that they don't appear, well... pretty. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

That's weird. Black Friday and the holiday sales were booming when I tried to get in. 

You know I went in the morning for clothes and it was deserted.  I was the only one there but that was European time.  I did then go again in the evening which was Friday night and Nutmeg was fairly crowded.  I quickly picked up a few things and left because Nutmeg was a bit laggy.  But, that Friday night of Black Friday would have been more American time.  There may be a worse recession in Europe than in America.  I have never sold so little in my whole entire life as a creator in SL as it stands now.   I have never experienced anything like this.  I've always sold and had money to spend in SL.  I've only cashed out once in my entire SL.  I love lindens because I love SL content and concerts and parties where I tip.  But, I've thought of closing as well.  Fortunately, my rent is very low but I thought I made the cutest shoes I've ever made and I can't sell any unless I put them on special sales and these are new items I'm talking about.

52 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

That's credit card and I haven't heard the December numbers but November, consumer spending was down.

--Retail sales for November declined 0.6%, even worse than the Dow Jones estimate for a 0.3% drop.--

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/15/retail-sales-november-2022-sales-fall-0point6percent-as-consumers-feel-pressure-from-inflation.html

They actually track cash and debit card sales as well...

Holiday sales rose this year as American spending remained resilient during the critical shopping season despite surging prices on everything from food to rent, according to one measure.

Holiday sales rose 7.6% — a slower pace than the 8.5% increase from a year earlier when shoppers began spending the money they had saved during the early part of the pandemic, according to Mastercard SpendingPulse, which tracks all kinds of payments including cash and debit cards.

2 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Screenshot (1590).png

True, the unappealing ad didn’t help. I think shape’s hands are too big, and it made the hands look masculine. The neck doesn’t look attractive either, but it could just be the picture. Also, it seem like no one was making anything for this body. I’ve seen more things for sale for Prima than for C&C.  Maybe the creators kit was too hard to get or too difficult to use. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

They actually track cash and debit card sales as well...

Mastercard debit cards were probably bought on credit for gift cards, which is debt, and creating debt for Christmas is bad.  I don't want to keep going 'round and 'round with you though.  We are in the worst inflation I've ever seen.  My nearby store wanted 6 dollars for a loaf of bread.  I don't put stuff on credit and create debt.  If I can't pay cash, I don't buy period.

--------As day-to-day expenses continue to rise, Americans are taking on more debt.

Overall, credit card balances jumped 15% in the third quarter of 2022, notching the largest year-over-year increase in more than 20 years.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/16/credit-card-balances-jump-15percent-as-americans-fall-deeper-in-debt.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Mastercard debit cards were probably bought on credit for gift cards, which is debt, and creating debt for Christmas is bad.  I don't want to keep going 'round and 'round with you though.  We are in the worst inflation I've ever seen.  My nearby store wanted 6 dollars for a loaf of bread.  I don't put stuff on credit and create debt.  If I can't pay cash, I don't buy period.

--------As day-to-day expenses continue to rise, Americans are taking on more debt.

Overall, credit card balances jumped 15% in the third quarter of 2022, notching the largest year-over-year increase in more than 20 years.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/16/credit-card-balances-jump-15percent-as-americans-fall-deeper-in-debt.html

Well my point being in regards to the Slink CC body is that it didn't sell well not because people weren't spending (which they obviously were) but that people did not like the body...at all.  Why would LL pay a creator for a body no one wants?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I have never sold so little in my whole entire life as a creator in SL as it stands now.   I have never experienced anything like this.  I've always sold and had money to spend in SL.  I've only cashed out once in my entire SL.  I love lindens because I love SL content and concerts and parties where I tip.  But, I've thought of closing as well.  Fortunately, my rent is very low but I thought I made the cutest shoes I've ever made and I can't sell any unless I put them on special sales and these are new items I'm talking about.

It has been tough this year for any area with mostly small independent creators (in general, not just talking Second Life). When money is tight, it's not that people don't spend, but they're going to buy everything else first. The little arty things are last on the list. The main way around this is not to put everything into one business angle. I made enough money with art outside of Second Life, which covers any drop in Second Life sales. But I'm also working on a few things that aren't mushrooms (the horror) to spread my Second Life sales around a bit.

For someone in bodies and other wearables, the obvious thing is to try stuff that isn't so dictated by fashion. Decor items don't age half as fast and don't need to be constantly updated as body fashions change. Also, the usual advice to put your shop in your signature, your profile, and anywhere else where you can shout it from the rooftops. You want to be sure that people know you exist.

9 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well my point being in regards to the Slink CC body is that it didn't sell well not because people weren't spending (which they obviously were) but that people did not like the body...at all.  Why would LL pay a creator for a body no one wants?

It was both for me. I really like some parts of the body, like the hips.

But did it really have a new UV too? I had forgotten that. To get a new UV to win over, you need to absolutely flood the market, so creators are "forced" to use it. Unless they miss out so many sales.

Slink really did C & C a disservice there. It is not enough to have a big name and a long, great reputation. People simply do not use a new UV because of that. I never thought the Lelutka Evo X would be so popular. But all us previous customers got updated heads that could use both UVs for free. If we had to pay 5000 L for them, the new UV would have died soon.

• Like 4

On 1/2/2023 at 12:57 PM, AzureWaves said:

I wear Maitreya now, but if Maitreya disappeared, I would just go around as a floating head because all the other bodies look like blown up ballon animals with huge butts. The popular mesh list doesn’t say much in regards to good taste.

If Maitreya closed down today, you would still be able to continue wearing it, and all the clothes that will still be made for it. The only difference would be no updates. So it would be business-as-usual, until Linden Lab introduces some new feature that newer bodies would be able to take advantage of. 

Look at Belleza for example; their bodies were dead in the water for years until they finally got an update (last year?) and people still wore them, and still do.

Anyone who currently owns and wears a Slink body will be able to continue doing so. The only difference I expect to see is creators dropping Hourglass from the list of bodies they support.

It's Legacy users who will have a problem if they go out of business.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

You know I went in the morning for clothes and it was deserted.  I was the only one there but that was European time.  I did then go again in the evening which was Friday night and Nutmeg was fairly crowded.  I quickly picked up a few things and left because Nutmeg was a bit laggy.  But, that Friday night of Black Friday would have been more American time.  There may be a worse recession in Europe than in America.  I have never sold so little in my whole entire life as a creator in SL as it stands now.   I have never experienced anything like this.  I've always sold and had money to spend in SL.  I've only cashed out once in my entire SL.  I love lindens because I love SL content and concerts and parties where I tip.  But, I've thought of closing as well.  Fortunately, my rent is very low but I thought I made the cutest shoes I've ever made and I can't sell any unless I put them on special sales and these are new items I'm talking about.

Is your store in world only or also marketplace?

2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

It's Legacy users who will have a problem if they go out of business.

Guessing this is about that ridiculous "[EDIT]" HUD with the "Style" tab that uses media-on-a-prim driven from an external site.  Presumably when Meshbody goes belly-up, those HUDs will be bricked, at least for the Styles interface.

I vaguely recall somebody mention in the group or Discord or somewhere that there's some alternative control available that will still work without the external site, but presumably one must have gotten that while they're still in business.

(Rationally they should just give it away full perm; it's not as if it's of any value for any other purpose than to support the body they're selling for a princely sum. But some merchants always err on the side of IP paranoia, locking down as many perms as they possibly can while still delivering a minimally functional product as long as nothing ever goes wrong.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Guessing this is about that ridiculous "[EDIT]" HUD with the "Style" tab that uses media-on-a-prim driven from an external site.  Presumably when Meshbody goes belly-up, those HUDs will be bricked, at least for the Styles interface.

With the new 1.5.1 update even the small risk of possible problems in such case is gone. Before you only needed the web portion of the HUD to activate the BoM and chainge nails colors, the rest of the HUD never needed their servers in the first place. Now there are chat commands to activate BoM, clean layers etc. And the nails now support 3rd party appliers too (kit is available to everyone).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.