Hide my avatar from others

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'll point this out to you as well as the previous posters who have stated much the same thing. This would or at least should be incorrect as hopefully LL is well aware that it is already possible for a griefer to not show themselves as visible to others in the area. I've certainly been griefed by some in past who were not visible to me simply through the use of a whole body alpha. I have also noticed in clubs where some who showed on the radar, did not show as visible or wore a tiny avatar where one had to zoom right in to see them, being they were smaller than a typical toe. So the justification that it is a griefers wet dream just doesn't wash. It is already a thing.

I don't fully agree with that Arielle, for the simple fact that they can not hide themselves from radar and unless you yourself hide nametags, they are not able to hide it themselves. 

I'll grant you the full body alpha theory, but there is no way around the radar.

Just now, CaithLynnSayes said:

I don't fully agree with that Arielle, for the simple fact that they can not hide themselves from radar and unless you yourself hide nametags, they are not able to hide it themselves. 

I'll grant you the full body alpha theory, but there is no way around the radar.

No, but then the OP has not stated that they also wished to be invisible to others on the radar too. The nametag can be made very small for those only showing the display name.  

Coding the feature in properly would probably be a lot more difficult though so like others, I can't see LL ever doing it.

8 hours ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

So interesting that so many people do not see any validity in my point....wonder what kind of people they are that they do not want people to be able to hide from them, whether it is possible or not

It's not that I don't see the validity of your point, is that I outright reject the validity of your point.  Unless someone has done something actionable to require LL's intervention, you have no right place a demand on another person's Second Life experience.  That includes demanding that you be de-rendered to them if you choose to block them.  As others, myself too, have stated: once you have blocked them a person effectively ceases to exist in your Second Life Experience. To ask for that extra step is, IMO, an unreasonable demand.  Everything else in the conversation has really just distraction to this one salient point: you have no right to arbitrarily expect or demand the ability to alter another person's experience when all they have done is be annoying to yourself.

To be clear, I'm talking on the level of being rude, crass, or boorish, but nothing actionable in the harassing level category.  This was the basis of your original post.  You want to block "idiots" (your words) and you also want alter their Second Life experience as well. That's just a step too far simply because you're annoyed. IMO.

• Like 7

On 12/3/2022 at 9:53 AM, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

If I mute & derender (as I do sometimes) idiots on sl I cannot see or hear them but I do not wish them to see me or be part of my sl, is there anything I can do to stop them seeing my avi?

Somebody prob already maybe said this but there is a land setting where nobody can see you on your parcel. I think you need the ban lines up and the check box then poof.... every avatar on your land is invisible to everyone outside your land. 

Image1.png

• Like 1

I made an animation that makes me disappear. I don't actually disappear but the animation sends me like 20 feet underground. I can also walk underground if I don't have an AO on. My camera stays on the surface for some reason though. People would have to cam under the world to find or see me. 

Wearing a full body alpha and nothing else makes you invisible as people have posted. I myself always have name tags off so if somebody is a full body alpha I have no idea they are there. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 1:13 PM, PermaRuthed said:

Modern problems require modern solutions.

This is a very very easy fix. Buy a private estate, turn off access to everyone, and never leave your island. They can't see you and you can't see them. No need to maintain long block & derender lists.  Easy peasy.

Youi could also rent land for as little as 238 Lindens a week and don't check the box that lets people see people on your parcel. That;s like $3.92 a month for total privacy. Granted for 238 a week you only get 300 prims and size of lot is 1000 meters.

• Thanks 1

In all of the replies to the op i see people who have with time become detached , impervious and therefore dismissive .

In my case blocking people who had until that point been a large part of my sl is/was what caused the death of my sl .

Followed from sim to sim by insulting alts until i was forced to assume everyone is an alt of people i was learning to hate , i got so hostile that they would not talk to me directly but instead slag me off in private to any in my vicinity .

Out of stubbornness because i knew the ultimate goal was to make me quit, i instead quit talking and moving .

Took a while but i think they eventually worked out that they had pushed too far , and so the same scum using alts then tried to befriend me .

My point is - ultimately i should never have tried to keep the peace and move on .

To block is futile .

I should have stayed put and convinced them to block me . Either that or quit sl .

I do believe they have given up on Cuno now , as have i and everyone else . But it took so long to get here that it would be pointless to reinvent myself with a new name in an attempt to restart because i am still me and i don't know how to be anyone else .

• Haha 2

M'kay...

Now time to grow up, for more than one person here it seems.

You've blocked and muted - they're not part of your Second Life anymore. They cannot message you and cannot talk to you in local chat. You can no longer see them.

That is all that should be needed.

If they persist and try to circumvent that, you do not respond and simply block and mute any alternate accounts they use as attempted circumvention. Maybe send in a brief, factual Abuse Report.

The majority eventually take the hint and move on. The few that do not may get a helping hand via Administrative action on their account(s) unless they're careful as Hades.

With that, not going to respond post wise any further. You've had this explained to you several times in several different ways by several different people now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cunomar said:

My point is - ultimately i should never have tried to keep the peace and move on .

To block is futile .

I should have stayed put and convinced them to block me . Either that or quit sl .

I do believe they have given up on Cuno now , as have i and everyone else . But it took so long to get here that it would be pointless to reinvent myself with a new name in an attempt to restart because i am still me and i don't know how to be anyone else .

Bro... this is sad.

On 12/3/2022 at 8:00 PM, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

I want many things

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Feature_Contributions

We're always looking for new ideas. Please let us know what you would like to see done. The best place for your feature requests to get noticed is in JIRA Bug Tracker.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
Added quote with JIRA link.
  • Thanks 1

It is maybe mildly disturbing that suggested remedies for the OP's complaint have shifted from her focus -- remaining unseen by certain people of her choice -- to how to hide from everyone

Apart from the fact that they don't address the OP's actual issue, don't these also sort of function as a "How to" for griefers and stalkers? I'm sure that's not the intent, but it's sort of the effect.

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Apart from the fact that they don't address the OP's actual issue, don't these also sort of function as a "How to" for griefers and stalkers? I'm sure that's not the intent, but it's sort of the effect.

Possibly, but so far the suggestions have all been about things that have been common knowledge in SL for at least 15 years.  Any half-competent griefer already knows them. What the current drift in conversation tells me, rather, is that we (including the OP) have pretty much talked ourselves out.  We've been repeating the same things long enough that we've finally started looking for new topics. With any luck, the thread will die from boredom by the weekend.

• Like 8

On 12/3/2022 at 2:00 PM, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

Because it is what I want, I want them gone from my fantasy life.
I want many things - the why is not the point, the point is that I would like to do it & do not see why I cannot (excepting MM's reasoning above)

I think this is where the conversation should have basically stopped.

Otherwise like @Rolig Loonsaid, we have drifted and talked ourselves out. Go figure!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Possibly, but so far the suggestions have all been about things that have been common knowledge in SL for at least 15 years.  Any half-competent griefer already knows them. What the current drift in conversation tells me, rather, is that we (including the OP) have pretty much talked ourselves out.  We've been repeating the same things long enough that we've finally started looking for new topics. With any luck, the thread will die from boredom by the weekend.

You're right on all counts. And I don't want to seem to be overstating this: I don't think that griefers and stalkers are going to be lining up to read this thread for helpful hints.

But the fact that those who do grief and stalk in SL may already know how to do it doesn't seem to me a good argument for providing that kind of information here. It just seems to me inappropriate -- and it could be misused by malicious actors who are not serial stalkers, etc.

By way of analogy, I can pretty easily find information online about how to spoof email addresses and URLs, how to use Apple AirTags to stalk people IRL, how to build pipe bombs, etc. -- but I don't think any of us would think that is information that belongs in an easily-accessible public venue such as this.

Again, I don't want to overstate this. I'm not even suggesting that such information be removed. But I sometimes wish people would think a bit more carefully about the possible uses and implications of things we post here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It is maybe mildly disturbing that suggested remedies for the OP's complaint have shifted from her focus -- remaining unseen by certain people of her choice -- to how to hide from everyone

Well I think it is important to point out to wannabe griefers that they are still visible on the radar. There are workarounds for minimizing one's visibility but unfortunately it is not possible to do so on an individual basis. SodaGnome pointing out that it is possible to block being seen on one's parcel points out that there is somewhat of a precedent for the desire to not be visible to others and that the Lab and viewer devs have incorporated that into the viewers and land settings. How hard would it be to extend that to blocking the view of others elsewhere? I would agree with your post on page 2 where you pointed out:

On 12/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I do wish, however, people would express a bit more sympathy to those who find merely blocking others inadequate.

There are legitimate reasons why one might not want to be seen by someone. After all, blocking someone does not prevent them from insulting, harassing, or undermining you -- or even engaging in worse things, such as pushing, using suggestive dress (or undress) around you, etc. Blocking means you don't witness these things, and the social damage that they can potentially cause: it doesn't prevent them from happening.

And suggestions like "don't log in" or "buy your own private estate" aren't merely unhelpful: they are frankly a form of victim blaming. How would we respond to someone telling the victim of homophobic remarks in RL to just plug their ears, or go elsewhere?

If SL had a decent abuse reporting system, none of this might matter much, but it doesn't, and expecting those who are the targets of abuse to either shrug off the abuse, or run away from it, is just . . . crappy, frankly.

Again, I don't have a solution for this. But can we please try to show a bit more empathy for those who are tired of being targeted for in-world abuse?

and feel it overrides any potential issues that might augment a griefers ability to cause problems which as I have already pointed out, is a fallacy as they have had that option already for ages.

For the rest this thread is the typical pile on thread that happens when a newer person comes into the forum and dares to state something they find is not perfect in S/L. 

16 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well I think it is important to point out to wannabe griefers that they are still visible on the radar. There are workarounds for minimizing one's visibility but unfortunately it is not possible to do so on an individual basis. SodaGnome pointing out that it is possible to block being seen on one's parcel points out that there is somewhat of a precedent for the desire to not be visible to others and that the Lab and viewer devs have incorporated that into the viewers and land settings. How hard would it be to extend that to blocking the view of others elsewhere? I would agree with your post on page 2 where you pointed out:

and feel it overrides any potential issues that might augment a griefers ability to cause problems which as I have already pointed out, is a fallacy as they have had that option already for ages.

For the rest this thread is the typical pile on thread that happens when a newer person comes into the forum and dares to state something they find is not perfect in S/L. 

While (as I've already noted) I have some sympathy for those who might want to remain unseen by stalkers, griefers, and harassers, there is a difference between that capability, and finding means to remain hidden from everyone. And that is what I was specifically referring to. I can see arguments for the former; I'd worry about the misuses of the latter, and don't understand why someone who was being harassed by a particular person or people would need to render themselves invisible to everyone.

10 hours ago, SodaGnome said:

Somebody prob already maybe said this but there is a land setting where nobody can see you on your parcel. I think you need the ban lines up and the check box then poof.... every avatar on your land is invisible to everyone outside your land. 

Image1.png

The good thing is, you don't need ban lines up for that setting.. They don't allow ban lines in the linden homes but you can still use that setting..

Ban lines will go up for things like restricting people access like, Must be 18+ and payment info on file.. Anything that unchecks the, Anyone can visit box in the access section of the land preferences..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

10 hours ago, SodaGnome said:

Youi could also rent land for as little as 238 Lindens a week and don't check the box that lets people see people on your parcel. That;s like $3.92 a month for total privacy. Granted for 238 a week you only get 300 prims and size of lot is 1000 meters.

A good option. Add in a zero-second security orb and nobody will stick around long enough to sneak a peek at her avatar.

11 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

A good option. Add in a zero-second security orb and nobody will stick around long enough to sneak a peek at her avatar.

Again. This is not what the OP is asking for. She does not want to be hidden from everyone. She's asking how to avoid being seen by certain people she's decided she doesn't want to see her, in a public place.

Whether that's a reasonable request or not depends (so far as I am concerned) on context and motivation. Whether it's feasible is less so: it currently is not.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Again. This is not what the OP is asking for. She does not want to be hidden from everyone. She's asking how to avoid being seen by certain people she's decided she doesn't want to see her, in a public places.

Whether that's a reasonable request or not depends (so far as I am concerned) on context and motivation. Whether it's feasible is less so: it currently is not.

As I said, people are tired of giving the same good answers (which are being ignored anyway), so they're wandering off into the weeds.  What we need now is a new shiny thread ....

adhd-distracted.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

What the OP is asking for is impossible at present with current SL capabilities. So why are we still talking about it? 

Presumably because the OP has argued that it shouldn't be impossible. Although, in fairness, that view was answered fairly early on as well.

And because people enjoy finding ingenious workarounds to problems, even if the problem they are responding to isn't actually relevant to the OP.

30 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As I said, people are tired of giving the same good answers (which are being ignored anyway), so they're wandering off into the weeds.  What we need now is a new shiny thread ....

adhd-distracted.gif

I will plead guilty to the charge of being extra sensitive to this kind of issue, because I've known too many people (mostly women) who have been targeted by griefers and stalkers.

That doesn't seem to be the case here, so I undoubtedly should just shut up, but it's given me a sort of visceral dislike of "solutions" that run along the lines of "So don't log in" or "So spend your SL in a fortified encampment built around your own parcel." I'd like to think we can find solutions that don't involve sending the person who is requesting some protections and/or privacy into a self-imposed exile. It's too much like telling women "don't dress like that" or "stop going out at night."

Again, I'm very far from sure that the analogy holds in this instance. But it explains, even if it doesn not justify, my own responses.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I will plead guilty to the charge of being extra sensitive to this kind of issue, because I've known too many people (mostly women) who have been targeted by griefers and stalkers.

That doesn't seem to be the case here, so I undoubtedly should just shut up, but it's given me a sort of visceral dislike of "solutions" that run along the lines of "So don't log in" or "So spend your SL in a fortified encampment built around your own parcel." I'd like to think we can find solutions that don't involve sending the person who is requesting some protections and/or privacy into a self-imposed exile. It's too much like telling women "don't dress like that" or "stop going out at night."

I understand and share your general feelings, @Scylla Rhiadra.  The OP's situation does not seem to justify your reaction, though. She is not being attacked or targeted. She just doesn't like hearing rude comments.  She's chosen to spend time as a dancer in a club where, sadly, comments like that are par for the course. Under the circumstances, it seems perfectly reasonable to say, "Look, you chose to be there and in a profession that tends to attract coarse comments from patrons. If you don't like it, change clubs or change professions." 

I spent some time dancing during my own early years in SL, so I can relate to what the OP is experiencing. The difference between us is that I remembered that I could control how I wanted to spend my time, and I didn't want to waste my time trying to control other people. I left.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.