Hide my avatar from others

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bottom line is, Linden lab has said for almost 2 decades now, that one person in SL may not do anything that EFFECTS another person's use of SL. If the TPVs can't do it, you can't either. 

https://secondlife.com/corporate/third-party-viewers#priv2

k. You must not provide any feature that alters the shared experience of the virtual world in any way not provided by or accessible to users of the latest released Linden Lab viewer.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

In rl there would be court orders preventing proximity

In RL quite often these court orders are because someone is a physical threat to someone else, the potential victom has to go to work or school or someplace else that they cannot avoid, and allowing the potential attacker to be in those places as well creates a dangerous situation for the individual. Second Life does not cause any of this. One an individual cannot be physically harmed, and two no one has to go anywhere, If someone you dont like hangs out at a particular place then go someplace else. If you want just dont log in, its impossible to not log in to real life to avoid a person who might physically harm you, but there is no problem at all with not logging into SL to avoid someone who might say something to hurt your feelings.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It would immediately become a tool for griefers, harassers, and stalkers. It would create far worse problems than it might solve.

... No it wouldn't.

I would very much like this feature. I can think of nothing nefarious at all that I could get away with- I mean, be able to do, if I had this feature. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

I find it interesting that there are so many people on here supporting the idea that rude and abusive people should still be allowed to see any avi that they want despite having been rude or abusive to that avi.
In rl there would be court orders preventing proximity so what is the harm in the easy option of stopping their avi seeing another avi
Derender should mean that I am derendered in their life too

There is no point, they would only switch to an alt and continue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

The Abuse Report system is adequate for what it is designed to do, @Scylla Rhiadra.  It is meant as a way to report suspected violations of the TOS.  It is not intended as a way to turn in people who are being rude, insensitive, or boorish.  Unless someone crosses the line and harasses you -- a fuzzy line, to be sure -- your AR is treated, quite correctly, as a dispute between residents.  The Governance team will tell you what our mothers told us ages ago, "If you have a problem, talk it out. Don't come whining to me."  With that backdrop, it is indeed proper to suggest that if someone is rude to you, you shouldn't expect LL to swoop in and make it better.  That's your job, or you can simply find a better class of people to hang out with.

You are entirely correct; see also my (admittedly hasty) response to @Rowan Amore above.

This is totally my fault for not reading carefully enough: I had assumed there was a bit more to this story than there appears to be. I did not, for instance, see this:

9 hours ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

why in a fantasy world should I not be able to control who sees me?
I dance in Sl & do not want rude people seeing my avi if I have blocked them, they can look at everyone else

Although the OP does mention "abuse" in one or two places, this sounds rather entitled, and seems to treat other residents as though they were customizable props. No, "rudeness" should not be grounds for an AR. Obviously.

In my own defense (sort of), I'll note that have seen the kinds of responses I've described to some who have described harassment and abuse in-world -- but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

So, I cheerfully withdraw my objections, and genuinely apologize to everyone (except of course Alwin, just 'cuz 🙂) who I may have seemed to have singled out for criticism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I think what she is saying is she dances in a club as a job and doesn't want people to see her if they are rude and abusive.  (just from looking at her profile and that she said she dances in SL). If that is the case then the management should be notified of the incidents.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

If I mute & derender (as I do sometimes) idiots on sl I cannot see or hear them but I do not wish them to see me or be part of my sl, is there anything I can do to stop them seeing my avi?

Simple solution is to simply wear a whole body alpha and no one will be able to see you. It's not rocket science.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

she dances in a club as a job and doesn't want people to see her if they are rude and abusive. 

It seems to me that one of the necessary skills of club staff is the ability to handle annoying people. Perhaps the OP should study the Art of the Snappy Comeback.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I would imagine saying "hi" to you might mean someone is being rude and abusive. But what you are wanting can't be done so continuing to argue about how you should have the right to do so is a mute point.

why would you imagine that?
And the word that you do not know is "moot", mute is what I do to rude & abusive people when they have clearly been rude & abusive

The only way to keep disgusting users, mean people, the rude, and the abusive from seeing you is to find that one sim that everyone ends up on when they go looking for people to chat with, the empty one that nobody ever visits.

It's a sad fact, but it's true. The worst people in the world are the only ones who get to enjoy it. It almost makes me want to be a horrible person, just so I can enjoy life, too.

10 hours ago, blissfulbreeze said:

If someone is repeatedly rude or harassing to me, then I'll just ask them all kinds of weird questions. I'll talk nonsense and they'll get so irritated that they start avoiding me lol.

haha yes been there doen that, the result was he banned me, what was exactly what i wanted hehe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

why would you imagine that?
And the word that you do not know is "moot", mute is what I do to rude & abusive people when they have clearly been rude & abusive

Ah, what a delightful person you are! I can't imagine anyone ever being rude and abusive toward you.

Thank you for the grammar lesson but I used it in the way I intended.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Ah, what a delightful person you are! I can't imagine anyone ever being rude and abusive toward you.

Thank you for the grammar lesson but I used it in the way I intended.  

it was a vocabulary hint not a grammar lesson (vocabulary is about words and grammar is about how to use them) & whilst you may have intended to use the word that way it made no sense in the way that you used it. *smiles

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

usually a quick way to upset the management who are concerned about footfall, believe me I have thought of this

I danced for a good few years in here myself, I made amazing amounts of money doing it also which was kind of nice.. But it was a lot of fun when I stuck to the  places  that were well run..

Honestly, Just Ditch those places that care about everything else but their club and staff.. Because if they won't respect you, you can bet they'll let everyone else walk on you also..

I got moved up to HM in my main club after a couple of years.. You can bet, nobody stepped on the girls without feeling the boot then.. hehehe

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

usually a quick way to upset the management who are concerned about footfall, believe me I have thought of this

And if someone is genuinely abusing/griefing you when you're in club performing, management's role is to explain the rules, tell them to behave, and if that doesn't solve it boot them out and ban them.

If the club owners are more concerned about foot traffic and less about the well being of their employees, why are you working there? They're letting you be griefed. They're not long for SL if that's the case.

• Like 5

There is no good way of doing it so accept the game you know is over . Get banned from the place for a reason - say it like it is . Once banned say it like it is and name them in your profile and become hostile towards any who would interact with you  .

Do it now and do it quick so you can quit and start again with fresh hope of not meeting the same or same type of scum again .

I tried to just block and walk away, but over the following 2+ years all of the above came to pass anyway .

No hope now so a restart would be pointless .

4 minutes ago, cunomar said:

There is no good way of doing it so accept the game you know is over . Get banned from the place for a reason - say it like it is . Once banned say it like it is and name them in your profile and become hostile towards any who would interact with you  .

Do it now and do it quick so you can quit and start again with fresh hope of not meeting the same or same type of scum again .

I tried to just block and walk away, but over the following 2+ years all of the above came to pass anyway .

No hope now so a restart would be pointless .

You can get AR'd for naming them in your SL profile just like naming and shaming in here.. Because it's gone from personal dispute to public then, because profiles are public accessible and not private..

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You can get AR'd for naming them in your SL profile just like naming and shaming in here.. Because it's gone from personal dispute to public then, because profiles are public accessible and not private..

You can call people an a** or whatever you'd like in your profile as.long as you don't post conversation logs AFAIK.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

You can call people an a** or whatever you'd like in your profile as.long as you don't post conversation logs AFAIK.   

As long as it isn't breaking any of the community standards.. like intolerance, harassment or disclosure.

Calling someone an A hole isn't doing that..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

Actually, having watched Sam's posts for a while, I assumed that she was making a play on words when she said, "continuing to argue about how you should have the right to do so is a mute point"  -- that is, the point at which we ought to mute the conversation and walk away.  A subtle, somewhat clever pun that many people would miss, sadly, since "moot" has drifted out of common use. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

As long as it isn't breaking any of the community standards.. like intolerance, harassment or disclosure.

Calling someone an A hole isn't doing that..

I don't know momma.. used to rate my love's from the best to the worst (and most annoying ever)

Had a 5 star rating system, for example:

"Sandy  was a crazy biat**." - ★☆☆☆☆

"Marilen was a perfect 10!" - ★★★★★

Edited by Nick0678

I understand and relate to the OP's point of view entirely.

Do as I do in RL and don't go anywhere, anytime, except to "known" places
to be with trusted companions and friends. (my SL is exactly the same).

This now extends to finally quitting my day job and planning not to return next year, after financing and planning my
own E-Commerce venture for 6 years now. 
My tiny little office and workspace continues to improve in tech/functionality, size, accessibility and its soo cool
closing the door and solving business and marketing problems.
I don't have a kettle or a little fridge in there yet but expansion #3 is due. (1/3rd increase in size).

I 💖 wearing covid masks and dark sunglasses 🤩 and I do chuckle
whenever I see my reflection in shop windows. (once a week maybe?).

World/s? 🌏 Here... have a B-slap😂👍 
Yvw. 
🤭

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.