Hide my avatar from others

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

there should be, if I dont want someone in my world I should be able to totally block them

But you should not have control over their world and what they see.

If you cannot see them or hear them or see their chat, etc...  why would it matter if they can still see you?

• Like 10

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

But you should not have control over their world and what they see.

If you cannot see them or hear them or see their chat, etc...  why would it matter if they can still see you?

why in a fantasy world should I not be able to control who sees me?
I dance in Sl & do not want rude people seeing my avi if I have blocked them, they can look at everyone else

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

You can't hide yourself. That would be a massive exploit for griefers. Imagine if I wanted to harass a sim, all I'd have to do is block everyone I see on it and I'd become invisible. I could then wander around interacting with all the objects while everyone else scratches their heads and wonders what the hell has gone wrong.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

there should be, if I dont want someone in my world I should be able to totally block them

People have been asking this since when i first registered in 2009, it won't happen. Block them and move on.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You can't hide yourself. That would be a massive exploit for griefers. Imagine if I wanted to harass a sim, all I'd have to do is block everyone I see on it and I'd become invisible. I could then wander around interacting with all the objects while everyone else scratches their heads and wonders what the hell has gone wrong.

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

valid

21 minutes ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

I'm curious why you think that blocking and de-rendering them isn't enough? Besides, as someone already stated , you can only control what YOU see or hear in SL.

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's a feature in any world or MMO I've been in. Muting/blocking usually just removes your ability to see their chat/IMs. We're fortunate in SL to be able to derender others entirely. But preventing others from seeing your avatar/character - never seen that anywhere.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

why in a fantasy world should I not be able to control who sees me?
I dance in Sl & do not want rude people seeing my avi if I have blocked them, they can look at everyone else

And again, I ask:  If you cannot see them or hear them or see their chat, etc...  why would it matter if they can still see you?  They cannot actually interact with you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And again, I ask:  If you cannot see them or hear them or see their chat, etc...  why would it matter if they can still see you?  They cannot actually interact with you.

Because it is what I want, I want them gone from my fantasy life.
I want many things - the why is not the point, the point is that I would like to do it & do not see why I cannot (excepting MM's reasoning above)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

"My purpose in SL is to share my gorgeousness with the other AVIs in our second world, I do this through just by being here and by emoting" 

Apparently only those you choose?

2 minutes ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

I have no problem with that at all, they can want but why should they have if I dont want it as well

Because your rights end when they would infringe on someone else's rights.  Them seeing YOU effects you in no way.  If you got your way, what YOU wanted would effect THEIR SL.  Not cool at all.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

"My purpose in SL is to share my gorgeousness with the other AVIs in our second world, I do this through just by being here and by emoting" 

Apparently only those you choose?

Because your rights end when they would infringe on someone else's rights.  Them seeing YOU effects you in no way.  If you got your way, what YOU wanted would effect THEIR SL.  Not cool at all.

of course there are those who do not possess the sense of humour to see a tongue-in-cheek profile....
Yes I believe in everyone's absolute right in sl to hide their avi from anyone who has been rude or abusive towards them, why wouldn't you?
It's my avi so they can see anyone they please except me - like blocking abusers from my rl phone & email or from getting within a mile of me.
I do not understand why anyone would have an issue with that, I am not interfering with their life just with their ability to interact with me
What would really not be cool is if you had personal concerns about people blocking you.

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

We can debate rationales as much as you like, of course. In the end, the simple answer to the initial question is "No, you can't do that."  No amount of wishing will change that. 

perhaps that should change then, it is a fantasy world & we each have our own life there so cutting others out of it would be a good thing?

23 minutes ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

Because it is what I want, I want them gone from my fantasy life.

I want to win a huge lottery and retire right now, but that sure doesn't mean I'm going to get it.

If you cannot see them and they cannot actually interact with you, then it should be very easy for you to fantasize that they do not exist at all and therefore cannot see you.

Maybe you need to work on your fantasizing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I want to win a huge lottery and retire right now, but that sure doesn't mean I'm going to get it.

If you cannot see them and they cannot actually interact with you, then it should be very easy for you to fantasize that they do not exist at all and therefore cannot see you.

Maybe you need to work on your fantasizing.

nope, you are still not providing a reason why I can't banish them from my online existence
Arranging so an avi can be blocked from seeing another avi should be a simple thing for LL, only seen one valid reason why it should not happen so far

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

perhaps that should change then, it is a fantasy world & we each have our own life there so cutting others out of it would be a good thing?

Perhaps. For now, the best way to solve the problem is to take Mr. Myagi's advice: "The best defense ... Not be there".  Just don't hang out in places where you don't like the people. That works for me in RL and SL.

happy-mr-miyagi.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.