Hide my avatar from others

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

I don't know momma.. used to rate my love's from the best to the worst (and most annoying ever)

Had a 5 star rating system, for example:

"Sandy  was a crazy *****." - ★☆☆☆☆

"Marilen was a perfect 10!" - ★★★★★

I got in a dispute years ago with someone that we had  some investment together in a project and  they decided to hang me in the public square using their profile..

They crossed some of the lines in the community standards and got AR'd and went missing for a little bit, plus their profile toned down..

ETA: You just have to be careful how you go about it or you can get bit..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I got in a dispute years ago with someone that we had  some investment together in a project and  they decided to hang me in the public square using their profile..

They crossed some of the lines in the community standards and got AR'd and went missing for a little bit, plus their profile toned down..

What investment?

Just now, Nick0678 said:

What investment?

I don't want to wake up any ghosts going into too much details, but it had to do with a sim build that actually was getting good attention.. after it was rolling  they wanted one direction for it and I wanted to stick to the plan. so there was a lot of friction..  hehehe

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't want to wake up any ghosts going into too much details, but it had to do with a sim build that actually was getting good attention.. after it was rolling  they wanted one direction for it and I wanted to stick to the plan. so there was a lot of friction..  hehehe

That motha****. Anyway it's hard to find a good business partner in SL.

31 minutes ago, cunomar said:

The worst of worst know all the rules and use them to their advantage , hence they don't like it when their target has nothing to lose in breaking the rules .

The worst of the worst don't care about the rules or think they are above them..

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 1:53 AM, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

If I mute & derender (as I do sometimes) idiots on sl I cannot see or hear them but I do not wish them to see me or be part of my sl, is there anything I can do to stop them seeing my avi?

just make a barrier/ borderline in your social interaction.

once your avatar is marked they can back with the alt and continue harras.

simple way avoid making enemy, stay down to earth youll be fine

The reasons why this won't ever happen, and the available solutions (go to a different SL location, make an alt, don't log in at all) have already been addressed.

But there's one more thing I'd like to add. I am very much getting the impression that the OP is young and doesn't yet have a great deal of life experience. Or maybe older but still having a somehow sheltered background.  

As you get older and more experienced, you will learn that, unless you are an actual celebrity, other people's opinions of you generally don't matter. If someone is rude to you, so what? It says more about them than it does about you. Once you have muted them, you can't be harmed by them any further, and demanding a "reverse mute" comes across as being immature and entitled. 

By far the best solution to this dilemma is learn to accept what other people think, let it roll off you and get on with your life as normal. If you're unable to achieve this by yourself, there are self-help books and videos that may help. But don't expect an instant change; it can take months, even years, to change your thinking.

Oh, and quit working at that club. If they're more interested in footfall than protecting their staff from griefers, they're not worth your time.

• Like 7

It really is horrible, that is why I keep "Show Friends Only" enabled all the time and thankfully i don't have to witness all these crimes committed towards fresh SL citizens and other virtual minorities. Very traumatic indeed.

21 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

ETA: You just have to be careful how you go about it or you can get bit..

When they got bit, I bet they..Yelped!

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think at this point, we can all mute the OP inworld as I'm sure she's done the same to us.  Therefore, she will get her wish.  She can't see us, we can't see her.  Merry Christmas!

hahahaha you are so funny, best solution yes.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:53 AM, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

If I mute & derender (as I do sometimes) idiots on sl I cannot see or hear them but I do not wish them to see me or be part of my sl, is there anything I can do to stop them seeing my avi?

The bolded and underlined  part (by me for emphasis) is the core semantics of the issue that, in my (admittedly quick) scan of replies, has only been only briefly touched but maybe not in this specific way: You have muted and blocked them and so they are no longer part of YOUR sl.  You can't see or hear them. They have ceased to exist for YOUR sl. The fact that they can see you and probably* hear you is not a part of YOUR sl experience. You might be still part of THEIR sl however, and you are asking for a tool to affect THEIR sl experience. Much like theoretical ghosts, we can't see them, we can't hear them, but they can (probably**) see and hear us and sometimes maybe even affect our environment, but they are not part of our day to day lives.  So treat those whom choose to block as ghosts.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:29 PM, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

nope, you are still not providing a reason why I can't banish them from my online existence
Arranging so an avi can be blocked from seeing another avi should be a simple thing for LL, only seen one valid reason why it should not happen so far

Simple things rarely are simple.  But again, it comes down your wording.  'banish them from my online existence'.  They have been banished from YOUR online existence. Any other action is affecting THEIR SL, and their experience, and you have no valid say over that if they are simply being rude and boorish. If they have done something properly actionable, file an AR against them, but for simple annoyances you have no valid claim on THEIR experience to modify it. It is as simple as that.

-----

*I have little experience with blocking people.  In my nearly 13 years of SL life, I have but 15 people blocked. I don't know if when I block them if they can still "hear" me or not.

**Folklore and fiction offer conflicting views and opinions about this naturally.

• Like 4

I've never hidden my avatars (main and alts) from anyone.

I have blocked a few times for my own protection. Had to hit the block button again a few days ago when someone said they wanted to explore every part of me, while wearing one of my sexier shapes and outfits. Checked his profile and saw nothing but sexually suggestive groups... BLOCKED. This won't stop me from wearing what I want, which is usually jeans and stuffed shirts... *sigh* maybe I should have a few S&M outfits with laser guns ready to load the next time I want to be sexy. :/

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think at this point, we can all mute the OP inworld as I'm sure she's done the same to us.  Therefore, she will get her wish.  She can't see us, we can't see her.  Merry Christmas!

Perfect - go ahead and do that & I will be very happy to have you gone from my existence
Actually non of the respondents are yet on my mute/derender list as I have found their replies interesting & curious but not offensive, but you can be the first if you like.... :)

• Haha 1

OP,  I've read through these 4 pages now and by now it should be obvious to you. In case it isn't, allow me to do what your parents probably didn't do for you.

Many people here have pointed out very clearly that you can not control what other people do/see. I'm going to quote something for the Britannica Dictionary that you probably won't like, but you should not dismiss it but actually think about it. Let me first be absolutely clear to you and anyone reading, i am not calling you any names, ok? According to the Britannica Dictionary: "a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people." - The word explained here is Fascism.

I am not saying you are one, but i am pointing out that what you want, to control what other people see, is leaning towards that pretty strongly. - I find your mental gymnastics pretty amusing. You seem very keen on controlling what other people see in SL and you've tried a few gotchas by stating that nobody has given a reason why you should not be able to hide your avatar. Several people have explained it very well, and one (i forget the name, sorry) has hit the nail on the head in SL's case. Please pay attention because i will explain it once again. The number one reason why you as a user are not in control of weather another individual can or can't see "your" avatar is because the ability to hide oneself from another would be a griefer's wet dream. This is why LL would never allow this to be a functionality within SL.

The fact that you can not understand why you will never be able to hide yourself from someone else is a 100% you-problem. I would even go as far as to say a behavior-problem. I'm not saying this to belittle you. Not in the slightest. I'm saying this in the (probably, vain) hope you would understand what it is you are wanting here.

Several people have, even with pictures from elementary school, explained why you should not worry about what other people do, but worry what you yourself can control. You have stated a couple of times that you should be able to control the visibility of your avatar to others in this "fantasy" world. I personally think this is a very unhealthy way to look at things. Even if this may be a "fantasy" world, it is a dangerously wrong perception of reality. SL is a form of reality because the avatars you interact with or see here do have real people behind it. (unless you try to talk to a bot, obviously).

So i don't expect you to suddenly see the light and agree with me or with anyone here that has replies so far or will after me. But i do hold some kind of hope in my heart that eventually, with time, you will be able to reflect on this and see that what you wanted here is simply not how the world works, real or make-belief.

All the best to you. 

• Like 1

I would also like to add: You speak of "your avatar". Sorry to break it to you, but it isn't. It is not your avatar. It is LL's and LL allows you to use it for as long as they like. Additionally, the bits you've bought to put "your" avatar together are most likely other people's Intellectual property, unless you've made it yourself. So again, Not your avatar. ;) 

Just thought i'd point that out too.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I would also like to add: You speak of "your avatar". Sorry to break it to you, but it isn't. It is not your avatar. It is LL's and LL allows you to use it for as long as they like. Additionally, the bits you've bought to put "your" avatar together are most likely other people's Intellectual property, unless you've made it yourself. So again, Not your avatar. ;) 

Just thought i'd point that out too.

I take it you were talking to everyone on every forum then?  They all seem to say "my avatar"... I'll just have a little yawn now

46 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

OP,  I've read through these 4 pages now and by now it should be obvious to you. In case it isn't, allow me to do what your parents probably didn't do for you.

Many people here have pointed out very clearly that you can not control what other people do/see. I'm going to quote something for the Britannica Dictionary that you probably won't like, but you should not dismiss it but actually think about it. Let me first be absolutely clear to you and anyone reading, i am not calling you any names, ok? According to the Britannica Dictionary: "a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people." - The word explained here is Fascism.

I am not saying you are one, but i am pointing out that what you want, to control what other people see, is leaning towards that pretty strongly. - I find your mental gymnastics pretty amusing. You seem very keen on controlling what other people see in SL and you've tried a few gotchas by stating that nobody has given a reason why you should not be able to hide your avatar. Several people have explained it very well, and one (i forget the name, sorry) has hit the nail on the head in SL's case. Please pay attention because i will explain it once again. The number one reason why you as a user are not in control of weather another individual can or can't see "your" avatar is because the ability to hide oneself from another would be a griefer's wet dream. This is why LL would never allow this to be a functionality within SL.

The fact that you can not understand why you will never be able to hide yourself from someone else is a 100% you-problem. I would even go as far as to say a behavior-problem. I'm not saying this to belittle you. Not in the slightest. I'm saying this in the (probably, vain) hope you would understand what it is you are wanting here.

Several people have, even with pictures from elementary school, explained why you should not worry about what other people do, but worry what you yourself can control. You have stated a couple of times that you should be able to control the visibility of your avatar to others in this "fantasy" world. I personally think this is a very unhealthy way to look at things. Even if this may be a "fantasy" world, it is a dangerously wrong perception of reality. SL is a form of reality because the avatars you interact with or see here do have real people behind it. (unless you try to talk to a bot, obviously).

So i don't expect you to suddenly see the light and agree with me or with anyone here that has replies so far or will after me. But i do hold some kind of hope in my heart that eventually, with time, you will be able to reflect on this and see that what you wanted here is simply not how the world works, real or make-belief.

All the best to you. 

do so love being spoken down to....
So interesting that so many people do not see any validity in my point....wonder what kind of people they are that they do not want people to be able to hide from them, whether it is possible or not

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

I take it you were talking to everyone on every forum then?  They all seem to say "my avatar"... I'll just have a little yawn now

Technically yes. But it applied here so i mentioned it (again)

2 minutes ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

do so love being spoken down to....

I didn't, i even said it wasn't my intention. You choosing to see it that way is telling.

3 minutes ago, TatianaD Grigorovich said:

So interesting that so many people do not see any validity in my point....wonder what kind of people they are that they do not want people to be able to hide from them, whether it is possible or not

If "so many people" is what you have to say here, that should be an indicator to you that it just might be that you are the only one not actually getting the point. Again, NOT trying to belittle you (or talk down to you) just trying to help you. I'll grant you i'm not known to wrap my words in bubble wrap, but i'm glad my parents also didn't.

We can debate this till the cows come home but for now there really isn't any point because you just proven to say that i talk down to you even when i explicitly said i wasn't, yet you still choose to see it that way. So there really is no point. Also because practically everyone in this thread sees it the opposite way as you do. Trust me, i know it is a really hard thing to try and understand what other people have to say about something you are absolutely convinced of. I think if we're all honest with ourselves we know we've all been in a situation like this. But please, try and see that (in this case) most people in this thread, if not all, actually, mean well with you by saying what they said. Yes, including me.

However, i must stress this next point. If you choose to block me as well, i want you to never see "my" avatar as well. There is a topic here on the forums called "How does your SL look today". I post pictures of my avatar on it every now and again. If you decide to block me, then by your definition you cannot ever click that thread. I will go as far as to set you up with someone RL you will live with and i will bribe them to look over your shoulder constantly to see if you ever see my avatar! I can't bribe a Linden, its in the Terms of Service. It would make life easier though.

(I do hope you get the sarcasm!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

The number one reason why you as a user are not in control of weather another individual can or can't see "your" avatar is because the ability to hide oneself from another would be a griefer's wet dream. This is why LL would never allow this to be a functionality within SL.

I'll point this out to you as well as the previous posters who have stated much the same thing. This would or at least should be incorrect as hopefully LL is well aware that it is already possible for a griefer to not show themselves as visible to others in the area. I've certainly been griefed by some in past who were not visible to me simply through the use of a whole body alpha. I have also noticed in clubs where some who showed on the radar, did not show as visible or wore a tiny avatar where one had to zoom right in to see them, being they were smaller than a typical toe. So the justification that it is a griefers wet dream just doesn't wash. It is already a thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.