12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Is staring slack-jawed in disbelief a reaction?

Yes.

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

/me looks for something heavy I can throw

That's a reaction!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Books are too valuable!

Peeve - But bonus:  Certain types are AFRAID of books!

(Even when they are not on fire!)

Sorry if that SOUNDED political, but really - it was about different points of view. 

I mean, seriously - who could POSSIBLY be afraid of books? 

LOL!!!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve - But bonus:  Certain types are AFRAID of books!

(Even when they are not on fire!)

Sorry if that SOUNDED political, but really - it was about different points of view. 

I mean, seriously - who could POSSIBLY be afraid of books? 

LOL!!!

Too much danger of getting political here, but in practice, historically and present day -- a great many people.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I hear this guy named "Warren Peace" writes BIG books, they probably hurt when thrown.

In the late 17th century, one of the most popular writers of prose fiction was the French author Madeleine de Scudéry, who wrote huge stories (not quite "novels" in the modern sense, but close) that filled anywhere from 6 to 10 thick bound volumes: her Artamène supposedly is over 2 million words long. She was much translated into English.

She was particularly popular among women -- these were sort of pseudo-historical romance novels, set in exotic, far-off lands. Not quite bodice-rippers, but with lots of heavy breathing implied.

I've actually always fancied that her popularity among women readers was owing at least in part to the convenience they must have offered as projectiles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Grab anything written by John Norman.

Most if not all I have seen by him were soft cover. Usually dog eared though begging the question whether from relooking up pages or from being thrown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

/me looks for something heavy I can throw

His ego? Judging by the size it must weigh a ton.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

A library full of heavy books and you have to look for something???

Books are valuable, things to be treasured and loved, unlike male egos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Seems to come through much more distinctly with brit humour doesn't it?

Books are valuable, things to be treasured and loved, unlike male egos.

I like my books digitized nowadays, makes them easier to carry, read and store. And yes ego's from whatever gender are rather intolerable aren't they?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:
3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Seems to come through much more distinctly with brit humour doesn't it?

Good point! Wouldn't that be "tonne"?

Peeve: pretend-bibliophiles whose passion for books comes off akin to the 'tea lovers' who briefly dangle an artificially dingleberry-flavoured Lipton bag in a gallon mug mostly filled with milk and sugar.

Things don't magically become valuable because someone bothered to put it to print. A twenty-umptieth edition of Dickens is likely to be worth less than its weight in toilet paper on the market. 

I've got several dozens of shelf-metres of very chuckable literature around me. And a short stretch of stuff I'd give first-hand demonstration of how an anthropodermic binding is made to anyone touching uninvited.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Things don't magically become valuable because someone bothered to put it to print. A twenty-umptieth edition of Dickens is likely to be worth less than its weight in toilet paper on the market. 

There's different kinds of "Valuable" with books.

Some are old and rare, and valuable as investments.

Some are beautiful, regardless of how many editions they have printed.

Some are valuable because they contain useful information, or great entertainment.

And some are valuable because they are very thick, printed on very thin paper, and can be acquired for free from bedside tables in hotel rooms, and will, if hung on a nail in the outhouse, last ALL winter!

• Like 1

Peeve: Seeing cute dresses/skirts in a Seraphim post vendor ad and rushing over to try a demo only to discover that most or all of the butt is hanging out.  Designers: when you're creating vendor ads, show BOTH SIDES of the item.  The rear view is important if you're going to let it all hang out. 

Edited by Lysistrata Szapira
grammar
  • Like 8