2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Threads being locked before reasonable questions get answers. I still want to know why I keep seeing people in the FS support group asking/being told how to enable Advanced and Develop menus if they are enabled as default settings. If they are enabled, it's a fairly recent change as they used to not be. You had to enable Advanced before you could get to the Developer menu to enable it, even on the official viewer. I save my preferences between versions, so I don't have to go through and change everything again every time I update. Most more seasoned residents do the same.

So, I guess I'll never know what the big stink was about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you're talking about the newly-closed LookAt thread -- you were unlikely to get a coherent response there anyway. Why not start a new thread? Possibly in the Technology section?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Exactly that thread was going nowhere useful from what I can see 

To the contrary there was a lot of good information coming out in that thread even if not all of it was directly on topic.

As iron sharpens iron,    so one person sharpens another.

This new norm of locking every thread wherein there is some controversy is not beneficial in the long run as it does not push others to think.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

To the contrary there was a lot of good information coming out in that thread even if not all of it was directly on topic.

This new norm of locking every thread wherein there is some controversy is not beneficial in the long run as it does not push others to think.

Maybe then as Scylla suggested, the good bits of that thread should be moved to a new tech thread to be discussed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

That wasn't "controversy." Controversy implies reasoned disagreements and discussions.

That was a few gems of real information submerged in a boiling, putrescent stew of asininity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Maybe then as Scylla suggested, the good bits of that thread should be moved to a new tech thread to be discussed.

Quartz tried to "clean" the thread to do more or less that . . . I think it was impossible to because the garbage was too woven into the useful and insightful stuff. What might work is a new thread or two.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Threads being locked before reasonable questions get answers. I still want to know why I keep seeing people in the FS support group asking/being told how to enable Advanced and Develop menus if they are enabled as default settings. If they are enabled, it's a fairly recent change as they used to not be. You had to enable Advanced before you could get to the Developer menu to enable it, even on the official viewer. I save my preferences between versions, so I don't have to go through and change everything again every time I update. Most more seasoned residents do the same.

So, I guess I'll never know what the big stink was about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The advanced and developers menu DO need to be enabled in Firestorm.  What doesn't need to be enabled in Firestorm is Look At.  If I remember correctly, it is ON by default.  It's also in Firestorm.preferences so you don't need to debug settings AFAiK to turn it off.  

Advanced.  This menu is toggled via the World menu > Show More, or from Preferences  Advanced

Developer.  This menu is toggled via the Ctrl-Alt-Q key sequence, or from Preferences  Advanced

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That wasn't "controversy." Controversy implies reasoned disagreements and discussions.

That was a few gems of real information submerged in a boiling, putrescent stew of asininity.

That depends on the individual I suppose as for me those parts which are not useful I automatically discard  although even having said that, its often been the case that a tidbit which someone mentioned at some point which I glossed over, became an important bit in a later discussion. If one chooses to see the norm of forums as a "boiling, putrescent stew of asininity" than that is what you get, and you will not benefit from what could have been learned from the thread, whereas those who just see it as a normal consequence of messy human beings interacting and that even within that there are things to be learned, it is all good.

All this thread locking does is stop people from contributing and eventually from even coming because there is nothing to be learned when every thread winds up with a lock. 

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The advanced and developers menu DO need to be enabled in Firestorm.  What doesn't need to be enabled in Firestorm is Look At.  If I remember correctly, it is ON by default.  It's also in Firestorm.preferences so you don't need to debug settings AFAiK to turn it off.  

Advanced.  This menu is toggled via the World menu > Show More, or from Preferences  Advanced

Developer.  This menu is toggled via the Ctrl-Alt-Q key sequence, or from Preferences  Advanced

I'm pretty sure Look At is off by default as I did not have it turned on in the laptop I installed a new FS on a few months back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

That depends on the individual I suppose as for me those parts which are not useful I automatically discard  although even having said that, its often been the case that a tidbit which someone mentioned at some point which I glossed over, became an important bit in a later discussion. If one chooses to see the norm of forums as a "boiling, putrescent stew of asininity" than that is what you get, and you will not benefit from what could have been learned from the thread, whereas those who just see it as a normal consequence of messy human beings interacting and that even within that there are things to be learned, it is all good.

All this thread locking does is stop people from contributing and eventually from even coming because there is nothing to be learned when every thread winds up with a lock. 

On the whole, I actually agree that threads are sometimes locked too quickly here. And I also think that the tendency to remove "off topic" posts is over-applied.

That particular thread, though, was more like trying to interact with "messy" 8 year olds than adults. I'd prefer my "messy" not be applied with crayons.

Yes, there will always be a certain degree of incivility and even trolling, but it IS possible to have intelligent conversations, and disagreements, without actually inundating the thread with puerility.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That particular thread, though, was more like trying to interact with "messy" 8 year olds than adults. I'd prefer my "messy" not be applied with crayons.

Yes, there will always be a certain degree of incivility and even trolling, but it IS possible to have intelligent conversations, and disagreements, without actually inundating the thread with puerility.

In a forum wherein the age ranges of the members can be anywhere from 18 or less and up, is it really reasonable to expect that everyone is going to post with your level of maturity? Even the level of intelligence and education is likely going to affect how you see the various postings. I'm sorry but I don't agree that we all need to grow up to the level some seem to want to set the standard at.

• Like 1

When a thread is locked and immediately people start posting in the pet peeve thread to further discuss the thread that was locked because they didn't get their post in fast enough.

Seriously, why lock the thread in the first place when people will just post off topic posts in another thread.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm pretty sure Look At is off by default as I did not have it turned on in the laptop I installed a new FS on a few months back.

I would infer from this firestorm.wiki that it is ON by default...

To see where other avatars have positioned their camera:

• Develop (Ctrl-Alt-Q if the menu is not shown) → Avatar → Show Look At

Please note that others can disable their Look At beacons (see below), so enabling this doesn't guarantee that you will see everyone's camera position.

33 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

What doesn't need to be enabled in Firestorm is Look At.  If I remember correctly, it is ON by default.

Ah. So, they've gone back and forth on lookat being enabled or disabled by default over the years. Explains why periodically people freak out over not knowing what it is or how to turn it off.

I do believe I will continue to save my settings, so I don't have to keep monkeying around with them. 😊

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Ah. So, they've gone back and forth on lookat being enabled or disabled by default over the years. Explains why periodically people freak out over not knowing what it is or how to turn it off.

I do believe I will continue to save my settings, so I don't have to keep monkeying around with them. 😊

It's one of the first things I mention to newer people who switch to.firestorm.  Where and how to.shut of their crosshairs to avoid the drama that may ensue.  They don't see them as SEEING them must be enabled.  It should be disabled by default both ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Seriously, why lock the thread in the first place when people will just post off topic posts in another thread.

I ignored that whole thread myself because it looked like a free for all from the start.  If I understand the note at the end, it was locked because it finally went totally nuts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

In a forum wherein the age ranges of the members can be anywhere from 18 or less and up, is it really reasonable to expect that everyone is going to post with your level of maturity? Even the level of intelligence and education is likely going to affect how you see the various postings. I'm sorry but I don't agree that we all need to grow up to the level some seem to want to set the standard at.

So, no moderation at all?

Where is the "line" that one draws? Or is a free-for-all the logical end of an approach that acknowledges that people have different levels and kinds of discourse?

BTW -- and this is not in response to anything you've said, Arielle, but as much for the record as anything else. I expressed surprise that the thread had not been locked, but I did not say that I wanted it closed down. And I didn't AR it or anyone in it. On the whole, I think that was a not merely pointless but actually destructive thread, but, like you perhaps, I lean towards the belief that too much moderation can be as harmful as too little.

That said, we haven't lost a great deal by seeing that thread gone.

• Like 2

Peeve:

People who call the electrical charge stored in their electronic devices as "battery".

"Oh no, I'm out of battery!", they cry when their electrical device has depleted its power.

Did their device's battery physically fall out of the device and is now somehow absent? No! Most phones don't even have removable batteries any longer!

You are merely out of electricity, electrical charge, or power. Not out of battery.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Earworms.  I've had this tune going through my head for a few days, and have only just realised what it was.  Listen at your own risk. :) 

That's just super. I've had Kylie Minogue's I should be so lucky as my earworm for five days! 

Now I have BOTH going through my bonce! 

I am going to try and dilute it with this. 

• Like 1