PEEVE!

When did SL start preventing you from organizing your outfits in the "Outfits" folder using subfolders?

I know you used to be able to add subfolders to the root "Outfits" folder, because I have about 25 there I use to organize my outfits. And each of those has scores of sub-subfolders in them.

But I'm no longer able to add a new folder.

Isn't this really stupid? I thought LL didn't want "flat" folders? And isn't it a LOT more difficult to organize outfits without folders that group them by theme or type? WHY would they remove this ability? (And why do my subfolders still exist if they did?)

Outfit-Folders-Blank.png.45d67fa1b868653386a7379d598591d3.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

PEEVE!

When did SL start preventing you from organizing your outfits in the "Outfits" folder using subfolders?

I know you used to be able to add subfolders to the root "Outfits" folder, because I have about 25 there I use to organize my outfits. And each of those has scores of sub-subfolders in them.

Isn't this really stupid? I thought LL didn't want "flat" folders? And isn't it a LOT more difficult to organize outfits without folders that group them by theme or type? WHY would they remove this ability? (And why do my subfolders still exist if they did?)

Yeah I don't know when it changed *but* I found the workaround...

Make the subfolder elsewhere and then paste it into Outfits. Don't know why they did that but that does work :)

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Yeah I don't know when it changed *but* I found the workaround...

Make the subfolder elsewhere and then paste it into Outfits. Don't know why they did that but that does work :)

Ah! I'll try that, thank you! I've tried drag-and-drop, and it won't let you do that.

Fortunately, I have a few sort of unnecessary folders in there that I can repurpose anyway. AND I can still make subfolders within those folders.

But, really . . . isn't this pretty dumb?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Science or witchcraft?!?

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C.Clarke

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Definitely, though it can be a major event if they want to fuss about it.  We only tried it once at home -- disaster.  Instead we always took advantage of the experienced staff at our boarding place and had the dogs washed & dried on the last day, so they'd be all pretty for a while.  

That's very wise, since the huskies probably don't feel the need to train the staff at the boarding place.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

That's very wise, since the huskies probably don't feel the need to train the staff at the boarding place.

I never had problems with huskies under 100lb! Or my first dog (a lab mix), who was about 100lb. I think the kennel / boarding place just has their limit. Unlike the vet, they don't imply it's behavior related (Turbo just doesn't want to go inside the vet), just size.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ah! I'll try that, thank you! I've tried drag-and-drop, and it won't let you do that.

Fortunately, I have a few sort of unnecessary folders in there that I can repurpose anyway. AND I can still make subfolders within those folders.

The original ability to have sub-folders was considered an unintended feature by LL and they fixed it a several versions ago despite lots of people telling them this is exactly what we need.

Does it make sense? Nope, not to us any way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It is indeed dumb. I don't have many subfolders but I do stick old outfits that I'll probably never use but can't bear to delete, mostly ones using older bodies or heads in subfolders and I was a little confused recently when trying to make a new one and discovered I didn't have the ability to any more which is when I discovered my workaround.

Not sure what the intention is, I assume it isn't a bug but I couldn't say when it changed... possibly some time in the last year though.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

PEEVE!

I wonder if it has anything to do with this old bug: [BUG-8604] When renaming an outfit, either in the appearance panel or in inventory, the outfit list in appearance panel often remains stuck on the old name - Second Life Bug Tracker

FS has made no changes to the ability to create folders in Outfits that I can see so try a relog and maybe try relogging to a different region and try again.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

I've been looking for things that peeve me off, so I can contribute more to this thread but unfortunately I don't often find myself peeved. I'm peeved that I'm not peeved enough, I'm just kind of stuck in perpetual neutrality about most things.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I've been looking for things that peeve me off, so I can contribute more to this thread but unfortunately I don't often find myself peeved. I'm peeved that I'm not peeved enough, I'm just kind of stuck in perpetual neutrality about most things.

giphy.gif

Stick around, that's sure to change 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

PEEVE!

I had not even noticed.  Now I'm PEEVED.

And I tried making a folder elsewhere and pasting it into Outfits --- no can do.  I get a message box saying:
One or more items can't be used inside "Outfits".

While I can still create new folders inside of my existing folders -- not an Outfit folder, but one of my 'grouped' folders -- I cannot move that new folder to directly under Outfits.  Thus no new top-level group folder under Outfits.  Only the ones that I already have.

@Linden Lab -- Horrid mistake on changing that.  Even LL says "Organization and lots of sub-folder depth is crucial to good inventory usage and performance".

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

There's a lot of other conversation in this topic too though.  So that skews the peeve-to-post (PTP) ratio quite a bit I'd imagine.

Agreed. IMHO: Basically, "peeves" are an on-topic "opening line" that give us some leeway for (relatively short) discussions that are only allowed in grandfathered threads like this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1