Theory: In the Olden Days, threads just ran their courses and died natural deaths. Sometimes after many pages, and much derailing, but We Moved On. (Yes, I'm channeling Milne, as I do.) There were notable exceptions of course :gives @Scylla Rhiadra the side eye in knowledge of One Particularly Spectacular Food Fight... ahhh the memories: We could start topics on just about anything and we did, so while derails were popular, and many of us vied for Derail Royalty De Jour, we could quickly move on to the next juicy topic posted. Now? There are so many constraints upon topics, that given a topic that actually makes The Grade AND allows for some wiggle room to discuss, wrangle, ponder, hiss while making it harder to point and gasp, "DERAILED!" that given such a rarity many of us flock to such a posting event, and while we are loathe to admit that we have jumped into the WTF Are We Even Talking About? fray, we do. Because it is the only place and way we can have this kind of discussion any more.

Just a Theory.

Peeve: (le sigh that one has to type that Or Else) That there is no good way to test the theory and probably no good way to discuss the theory. So said Brilliant Theory and Observation will die a quick and unnoticed Death. 😭 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok, I can't resist.

Plausible theory of belief origin ("non-scamp" version): 

1) All women can "hold their farts", therefore..

2) All women have "reserve farts" and therefore can "fart on demand"!

Isn't there a scholarly article on female fruit fly farting that you could have cited? Asking for a friend...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

Isn't there a scholarly article on female fruit fly farting that you could have cited? Asking for a friend...

Excellent question!

Peeve: (Not you, Seicher) When fruit fly biology is conflated with human sexuality, making the person providing the information - without comment as if they agree - appear to be a non-ally of the first order!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Just a Theory.

Peeve: (le sigh that one has to type that Or Else) That there is no good way to test the theory and probably no good way to discuss the theory. So said Brilliant Theory and Observation will die a quick and unnoticed Death. 😭 

Peeve:

Secondary and tertiary theories of "women can fart on demand":

1. Gaslighting 

2. "She who smelt it dealt it"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve:

Secondary and tertiary theories of "women can fart on demand"

Peeve: I was in the shower so I missed my chance to display the vastness of my trivia knowledge.

Back in the days, there were professional flatulists. Roland the Farter, for example, was a famous courtier of Henry II! For his service as a jester he was provisioned with 30 acres of land, and was obliged to perform 'a jump, a whistle, and a fart' before the royal court every Christmas.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's 2023...do we NEED these facelights on all the time?  Not one but 3 different lighting add ons...I used Phototools No Light EEP

616bcd1cc49707e3026bcab0968c235d.thumb.jpg.e881bf951c307272550559942f75d93a.jpg

LoL.
Great capture. 
I love it [irony] when an avatar arrives on the sim and the whole place lights up and it isn't due to their sparkling personality. :)

So, first answer: No.
Second answer: OMG, I'm so sorry! I did it again! I was taking photos and using attached lights, and then forgot I had them on and was TPing all over the grid like that...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

LoL.
Great capture. 
I love it [irony] when an avatar arrives on the sim and the whole place lights up and it isn't due to their sparkling personality. :)

So, first answer: No.
Second answer: OMG, I'm so sorry! I did it again! I was taking photos and using attached lights, and then forgot I had them on and was TPing all over the grid like that...

I'll use the facelight from Lelutka for pictures now and then and have forgotten to take it off before wandering around.  I see a lot of people wearing those actually.  This person?  Yeah, a full body one and 2 sets of other lights.  Funny thing is, she was wearing a hijab so you would only see her eyes anyway so what was the point?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

Peeve: I was in the shower so I missed my chance to display the vastness of my trivia knowledge.

Back in the days, there were professional flatulists. Roland the Farter, for example, was a famous courtier of Henry II! For his service as a jester he was provisioned with 30 acres of land, and was obliged to perform 'a jump, a whistle, and a fart' before the royal court every Christmas.

Peeve: Not everyone knows important fart trivia!

- Joseph Pujol (June 1, 1857 – August 8, 1945), better known by his stage name Le Pétomane (/ləˈpɛtəmeɪn/,[1] French pronunciation: [ləpetɔman]), was a French flatulist (professional farter) and entertainer. He was famous for his remarkable control of the abdominal muscles, which enabled him to seemingly fart at will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Pétomane

- Benjamin Franklin was famously somewhat obsessed with farts. "Fart Proudly" (also called "A Letter to a Royal Academy about farting", and "To the Royal Academy of Farting") is the popular name of an essay about flatulence written by Benjamin Franklin c. 1781 while he was living abroad as United States Ambassador to France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fart_Proudly

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's 2023...do we NEED these facelights on all the time?  Not one but 3 different lighting add ons...I used Phototools No Light EEP

This shouldn't be surprising for a platform with a known aging population and its attendant vision problems:

Less light reaches the retina in an aging eye than it does in a younger eye. First, pupil size reduces with age so less light enters the eye. Second, the lens, which is normally clear in a young person, yellows and thickens with age, also impeding the transmission of light. The result is that a 60-year-old receives only about 40% of the same amount of available light as a 20-year-old. An older person, therefore, may see poorly under dim conditions, and lose both acuity and contrast sensitivity.

https://www.seriousreaders.com/blog/why-lighting-is-important-for-the-aging-eye

Though I don't wear facelights very often, I do increasingly see the need of them as I get older.

Pet peeve would be that some with 20/20 vision, don't see that.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

First, pupil size reduces with age so less light enters the eye. Second, the lens, which is normally clear in a young person, yellows and thickens with age, also impeding the transmission of light. The result is that a 60-year-old receives only about 40% of the same amount of available light as a 20-year-old. An older person, therefore, may see poorly under dim conditions, and lose both acuity and contrast sensitivity.

Has that been found to be true for all aging eyes...or do some escape the ravages of aging?

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'll use the facelight from Lelutka for pictures now and then and have forgotten to take it off before wandering around.  I see a lot of people wearing those actually.  This person?  Yeah, a full body one and 2 sets of other lights.  Funny thing is, she was wearing a hijab so you would only see her eyes anyway so what was the point?

Peeve: Not exactly "facelights" but..

I used to use "full bright" on my self-made whiskers.  Only once or twice did someone say they were annoying, years ago.  But I finally shut if off.  I think they acted kind of like a facelight and other people could see it "too much" depending on their settings.  I used to keep my settings "low" but turned them up with the new PC.

I'll take a pic sometime with the new PC on max settings to see how annoying the fullbright whiskers are in lower light..

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

This shouldn't be surprising for a platform with a known aging population and its attendant vision problems:

Less light reaches the retina in an aging eye than it does in a younger eye. First, pupil size reduces with age so less light enters the eye. Second, the lens, which is normally clear in a young person, yellows and thickens with age, also impeding the transmission of light. The result is that a 60-year-old receives only about 40% of the same amount of available light as a 20-year-old. An older person, therefore, may see poorly under dim conditions, and lose both acuity and contrast sensitivity.

https://www.seriousreaders.com/blog/why-lighting-is-important-for-the-aging-eye

Though I don't wear facelights very often, I do increasingly see the need of them as I get older.

Pet peeve would be that some with 20/20 vision, don't see that.

There are plenty of other lighting options besides facelights, though.  I normally use my own that I have applied to self.  How others see me is of no concern to me.  They might be using region settings or something else.  1000 Watt facelights is just kind of unnecessary since windlight was introduced except for pictures, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Not everyone knows important fart trivia!

This might be an interesting article to you then, and even includes the dogs you love:

https://indi.ca/the-meaning-of-life-in-a-dogs-death/

What I found interesting was considering that oxygen, an element we desire and consider so pure and clean, is actually the waste products of plants.   The interconnectedness of life truly astounds!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Now? There are so many constraints upon topics...

Ya. This isn't really the best place for discussion in general.

24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Omg. I am so guilty of completely forgetting I'm wearing attached body and/or face lights and zipping around to various stores to pick up props and things right in the middle of a photo shoot. I usually just log out of Black Dragon where I can actually see them and log into Firestorm for the shopping (Firestorm is 100% CalWL all day erra day) and never notice it until it hits me like an hour later. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Ya. This isn't really the best place for discussion in general.

Omg. I am so guilty of completely forgetting I'm wearing attached body and/or face lights and zipping around to various stores to pick up props and things right in the middle of a photo shoot. I usually just log out of Black Dragon where I can actually see them and log into Firestorm for the shopping (Firestorm is 100% CalWL all day erra day) and never notice it until it hits me like an hour later. 

giphy.gif

That gif is exactly how I feel when I forget to take mine off.  Ooopsie!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

That gif is exactly how I feel when I forget to take mine off.  Ooopsie!

Only thing worse is forgetting to take off your windy, upside down, skewed, editorial hair before rush-tping and seeing yourself rez in a crowded landing point like oh damn tho. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There are plenty of other lighting options besides facelights, though.  I normally use my own that I have applied to self.  How others see me is of no concern to me.  They might be using region settings or something else.  1000 Watt facelights is just kind of unnecessary since windlight was introduced except for pictures, IMO.

Maybe those wearing facelights are not concerned with how you see them either? The default SL view is a little better now but was terrible at first when they rolled out EEP, but if I was using that viewer generally, I could see myself being more apt to wear facelights, especially as I find the viewer hides their EEP options so it is easier to just pull out a facelight.

You mileage might vary.

• Like 2

Facelights can impact everyone else around, though.  If a region does have a really cool EEP setting, that super duper bright facelight ruins the experience for everyone else.   If it were one simple facelight such as the one provided with Lelutka heads, it's not a problem at all.  Lights that light up a large area such as the ones in the pic I posted, are just plain silly.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Has that been found to be true for all aging eyes...or do some escape the ravages of aging?

Seems common enough from what I see with more and more friends wearing eyeglasses and expressing problems with fine print. Then too quite a few won't admit it but can see them squint at signage and in lower light conditions. Only a couple friends I know who work out regularly in their retirement, seem to not have eye related problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say light generating attachments in general... a little bit too much for me. Facelights are the most common and I've never really worked out what they're for or why they're so commonly used.

I guess that's SL though, if you can't learn to tolerate what other people do with it you probably won't like it much.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2