20 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Next: "Water" become a bad word! 

Kind of like on some platforms (TikTok, etc.) where they have to say "unalive"..whereas, in actual really reality, we will all be unalive one day. Sorry.

I hate "unalive" as a euphemism. What if one wants to say "dead-end"? All these "bad word" algorithms are worse than the Crime-speak laws in 1984 (the book, not the year).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I hate "unalive" as a euphemism. What if one wants to say "dead-end"? All these "bad word" algorithms are worse than the Crime-speak laws in 1984 (the book, not the year).

To be honest, I was being a little disingenuous - the actual word being used seems to be "unalived" as a replacement for "killed". 

So, it is a "real" form a "double-speak"!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

To be honest, I was being a little disingenuous - the actual word being used seems to be "unalived" as a replacement for "killed". 

So, it is a "real" form a "double-speak"!

I'm pretty sure it started with the so-called gossip sites as a sub for the word suicide. As in "unalive yourself". I see it all the time on certain sites that lean right. You already know the group of people it targets.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't even have darts.  :)

Getting old is just a bad invention of nature.
Being an introverted person doesn't help either I guess.

When I was younger, I always thought, when I no longer have to work, I start traveling the world.
And here I am, I have no longer to work (I even can't), enough money to travel the world, no kids, no parents, brothers, sisters or grandchildren to look after...... and totally no drive to pack a suitcase and start traveling.
Life plays tricks with me.

Ah well, just an old fart grumbling.... carry on folks.
I'll step away from the keyboard for the rest of the evening. Tomorrow is another day.

Even easier than darts (and better for your walls), write down ideas on pieces of paper. Fold them and put them in a paper bag. Shake it, then pull out one. If you don't want to do that thing, pull out another idea.

Anyway, at least you have SL. Have you been to the Welcome Hub?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You already know the group of people it targets.

I am not sure you understand, based on what you posted above. That's OK.

The word "unalived" is being used on certain sites (like TikTok) because "filters" on the sites are actually preventing it - otherwise the poster's videos are demonetized. 

Not because the posters are leaning left or right.

Not because the website is leaning left or right.

Peeve: Google reveals the sites require use of "unalived" both as a replacement for "klling" AND for "suicide".  (No matter "how it started".)

ETA: I do not watch "right" videos on TikTok, etc.  So, these are "left" videos. So far as I know, TikTok is NOT "left" or "right".  Your Mileage May Vary.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 4

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Google reveals the sites require use of "unalived" both as a replacement for "klling" AND for "suicide".  (No matter "how it started".)

Yup. Like you point out, it's often used when people want to get around strict moderation bots and filters when harassing people on social media.

There's another phrase - "in game" that streamers will often use to get around Twitch's strict moderation, as well. Pretty sure you can get banned or lose sponsors if you start throwing "kill" around when referring to other people or yourself, but they seem to think adding "in game, in game!" makes it better - even when they aren't actually playing a game at the time.

It seems to work, though, because I've not yet seen anyone get banned after their angry rants while using that technique.

Peeve: People are silly and not always in a good way.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am not sure you understand, based on what you posted above. That's OK.

The word "unalived" is being used on certain sites (like TikTok) because "filters" on the sites are actually preventing it - otherwise the poster's videos are demonetized. 

Not because the posters are leaning left or right.

Not because the website is leaning left or right.

ETA: I do not watch "right" videos on TikTok, etc.  So, these are "left" videos. So far as I know, TikTok is NOT "left" or "right".  Your Mileage May Vary.

Ever heard of a forum called Kiwi Farms or Lolcow? 

I do know what I am talking about.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Ever heard of a forum called Kiwi Farms or Lolcow? 

I do know what I am talking about.

Considering you are way off topic from my original post, I bet you are not surprised that I have no clue what you are talking about.

Peeve: Not what I meant for several posts now. I was ONLY referring to certain sites; you are discussing this with yourself.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Considering you are way off topic from my original post, I bet you are not surprised that I have no clue what you are talking about.

Peeve: Not what I meant for several posts now. I was ONLY referring to certain sites; you are discussing this with yourself.

However, I am not off topic for the thread.

Well then excuse the hell out of me for trying to join the discussion. I'll go back to scrolling.

Peeved.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Sad 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:08 PM, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Peeve: Those who think a person somehow ages out of headbanging.  I plan to be listening to screaming rock well into my years in a nursing home.  

I only "discovered" Rammstein when I was 57, and still have a lot of their back catalogue to explore, and Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet is currently being played on a loop at mine because I have the flu and it's soothing my soul.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Istelathis said:

/me pokes forum 

Where did everyone go?  SL without forum activity is like Oreos without milk 😢

There are a lot of "more of the same" threads at the moment, where people are mainly discussing in circles.
That doesn't really help to jump in and be active.
The waiting is for a few new and shiny topics to arrive.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Istelathis said:

/me pokes forum 

Where did everyone go?  SL without forum activity is like Oreos without milk 😢

Sleeping at the time of your posting. 😜

More seriously, I bounce in and out, but mostly spending time these days in places with more discussion variety and activity (not SL-related).

I can only talk/read about SL so much - especially these days as I'm spending less time in there. This has been a great year for game releases (especially indie). That's almost a peeve. It feels like a new game on my wishlist releases every week at this point.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I only "discovered" Rammstein when I was 57, and still have a lot of their back catalogue to explore, and Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet is currently being played on a loop at mine because I have the flu and it's soothing my soul.

Get well soon, Mari. :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Being too nice and polite and it being construed as flirting. Then I've planted myself firmly into a situation with someone that I don't know how to resolve elegantly.

So I did it inelegantly, and logged out.

I just want to be able to be nice and chat, guys. That's it. Please don't TP me to A-rated sims after you've immediately added me. You've literally chosen the worst person possible to pull that on.

• Like 6

Peeved. Went grocery shopping with my brother and he wanted to take a trip through the candy aisle which I otherwise hardly ever pass through - and the amount of loose weight candy tagged as 'gelatine free' and/or 'vegan'. 

Give me fruity flavoured carcass extraction, dang it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Peeved. Went grocery shopping with my brother and he wanted to take a trip through the candy aisle which I otherwise hardly ever pass through - and the amount of loose weight candy tagged as 'gelatine free' and/or 'vegan'. 

Give me fruity flavoured carcass extraction, dang it! 

Peeved mine got lost in the move.

orange-squeezer-antique-green-glass-oran

• Sad 1