5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Some states, such as California, require eggs to be from cage free chickens.  

They have done that here...which is why one of the two grocery stores in town have had NO EGGS AT ALL for a couple of weeks now, as well as (I have heard anyway) made it illegal to sell or give away eggs from your own chickens.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Fun fact, chickens lay eggs from their single orifice, the cloaca!  Clean the poop off your eggs!

Makes note : Don't eat the outside part :ph34r:

kidding, I wash mine because even though they are ok coming out, they can step in who knows what and get that on the eggs. Ours are free range, they get up go outside where ever they want and come back at night..

What's really wild is the dogs and the cats won't mess with them in the yard.. We have a mean  rooster with long talons. He'll tear a cat or a dog up if he gets hold of them..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Makes note : Don't eat the outside part :ph34r:

kidding, I wash mine because even though they are ok coming out, they can step in who knows what and get that on the eggs. Ours are free range, they get up go outside where ever they want and come back at night..

What's really wild is the dogs and the cats won't mess with them in the yard.. We have a mean  rooster with long talons. He'll tear a cat or a dog up if he gets hold of them..

Best not wash eggs before the moment you are going to boil or fry them.
The inside of an egg is perfectly shielded by mother nature. By washing them, the protection becomes much less.
Unwashed you can keep them much longer fresh and store them outside a refrigerator, as long as they are not exposed to direct sun light.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The inside of an egg is perfectly shielded by mother nature. By washing them, the protection becomes much less.
Unwashed you can keep them much longer fresh and store them outside a refrigerator, as long as they are not exposed to direct sun light.

I like how many other cultures (besides mine in the US) don't refrigerate their eggs.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I like how many other cultures (besides mine in the US) don't refrigerate their eggs.

The issue is salmonella.  Fresh unwashed eggs can harbor this bacteria.  In the US, commercially sold eggs are washed and sterilized to kill this and then need to be refrigerated.  Milk is pasteurized for similar reasons.  Rules, ya know.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Here it's kind of half and half, a lot of people I know have their eggs in the fridge, I don't. 

Some of them even put tomatoes and apples in the fridge like maniacs. And lemons!

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

The issue is salmonella.  Fresh unwashed eggs can harbor this bacteria.

Salmonella is caused by bad sanitary conditions and need to come from the outside, usually through rats or mice directly (chickens will eat small rodents if they get their bills on 'em) or because they've done the plop in the chicken feed or water supply. If the chickens are infected, so is the inside of the eggs; so washing them doesn't make it go away (although if bird A lays and egg and bird B, which has salmonella, sits on it, you may not want to lick the egg).

The moment salmonella is discovered here, they have recall all their products and nuke the birds. Just the other week an egg producer down south had to neck 165,000 birds (most of which were healthy, but still end up in the incinerator) and sanitise their entire farm after salmonella was discovered. 

• Like 3

Salmonella is a problem on this side of the pond too, but washing the eggs before storage doesn't help.
The egg shell protects the inside perfectly.
Just trow away any egg with the slightest crack, because that will get infected when stored with all kinds of swirling around stuff. Don't store them inside or outside of the fridge.
And if you are a protective person, wash the egg just before you fry or boil it, but you only need to do so when you plan to use the egg unheated like in making mayonnaise.

Almost all salmonella infections happen due to not thoroughly enough heated chicken meat, reusing knifes and other kitchen supplies after using it on raw chicken meat without thoroughly cleaning them first, or using raw eggs (without washing them before you break the shell).

And like Orwar just explained, when a case is discovered the chickens on the farm of origin have an even shorter life than expected. Just like the products from that source it all ends up on the dump for waist incineration.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Mine are used  up pretty quick since they are always coming in.. Plus have some regulars that come by at the end of the week or when they need more. I doubt any of them make it to two weeks.. hehehe

ETA: Just to add, I'm not scrubbing them off or anything.. just dunk them and getting the  poop and chicken dust off them..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Here it's kind of half and half, a lot of people I know have their eggs in the fridge, I don't. 

Some of them even put tomatoes and apples in the fridge like maniacs. And lemons!

Salmonella is caused by bad sanitary conditions and need to come from the outside, usually through rats or mice directly (chickens will eat small rodents if they get their bills on 'em) or because they've done the plop in the chicken feed or water supply. If the chickens are infected, so is the inside of the eggs; so washing them doesn't make it go away (although if bird A lays and egg and bird B, which has salmonella, sits on it, you may not want to lick the egg).

The moment salmonella is discovered here, they have recall all their products and nuke the birds. Just the other week an egg producer down south had to neck 165,000 birds (most of which were healthy, but still end up in the incinerator) and sanitise their entire farm after salmonella was discovered. 

The FDA here instituted the rules ages ago.  The fact is very few chickens carry salmonella anymore.  Better safe than sorry keeps a lot of outdated rules in place, I suppose.  E coli seems to be the issue more often now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ours are free range, they get up go outside where ever they want and come back at night..

My sis had chickens for awhile.  She lived in a semi-rural part of town at that time but later went back to "city life".  It was weird visiting her with these chickens walking all over the place in the front yard.  She finally got rid of them because she said it cost more in feed than the cost for eggs in the stores.  Even if it costs a little more, the taste and quality is usually better.  They sold some eggs too but still to feed them she couldn't even break even, she said.  Now my niece is grown and wants her own chickens which it's gonna cost her.  I prefer my front yard without chickens walking around, personally.  lol  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Ya, feeders attract all kinds of critters, the only thing we keep around is grit and water dispensers.. We grind our own feed  every day up at the barn from the corn we grow, then throw it down right on the ground..

We let ours roam because they are great for keeping down ticks and chiggers and other things..plus the hen house stays a lot cleaner.. once they go inside they are pretty much done for the day and either will perch or  nest..

Cats keep the varmints down, dogs keep just about anything else out of the yard from bear, mountain lion, fox bobcat and so on.. We haven't really even had a snake problem.. I've seen that Rooster go after snakes before.. Roosters are just bad ass at guarding the hens.. hehehe The cats don't even stalk them, just kind of quickstep passed the hens if they are around them at all..

28 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

My sis had chickens for awhile.  She lived in a semi-rural part of town at that time but later went back to "city life".  It was weird visiting her with these chickens walking all over the place in the front yard.  She finally got rid of them because she said it cost more in feed than the cost for eggs in the stores.  Even if it costs a little more, the taste and quality is usually better.  They sold some eggs too but still to feed them she couldn't even break even, she said.  Now my niece is grown and wants her own chickens which it's gonna cost her.  I prefer my front yard without chickens walking around, personally.  lol  

We grow our own feed for our horses, cows and chickens.. We had goats at one time too, but  just got tired of them getting out and  making right for my flower beds.. Also we had some of the fainting goats, but we got tired of every time someone coming over trying to scare them..  It was cute when I was younger for a little while and they were little, but I just got tired of people scaring my goats.. They rattle everything else at the same time too..

We had a horse that had the same thing.. Any loud noise and it would lock up and fall over.. I feel more for them now than when I was younger.. Someone scared my horse one time and I kicked them off the property.. They ended up apologizing, but i wasn't about to hear anymore that day..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Eggs are outrageously expensive right now 😢 From my understanding in the US, there is a massive pandemic destroying a lot of our egg laying chicken at an alarming rate and it has been ongoing for months.  I have read it could be months before we recuperate from the pandemic and start seeing the price of eggs dropping.  Due to inflation, it is unlikely we will ever see them as inexpensive as they used to be, but the prices we see now are not likely to remain this high forever.  

I've looked into raising chicken in the past out of curiosity and at the time it was more expensive, it is also something I would not really want to get involved with because it looks like a lot of work involved.  I wonder for those who do have their own chicken if the expense has levelled out for them with the cost of eggs as high as they are.

Where I live the cost of pasture raised / cage free eggs has recently been surpassed by most of the other eggs.  I wonder if the spread of the virus is less prolific in such conditions, and the expense of the eggs are reflecting that now.  

In my state it isn't the chickens being affected so much as it is the wild birds. Last I checked there had only been about 3 flocks in the whole state that showed any signs of Avian Influenza. That is nowhere near enough loss to warrant the high prices in this state.

What is happening is rather than raise prices in just those areas affected, they're raising prices across the board/country so that some of us can no longer afford to eat. They are slowly starving us to death. 

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2022/10_Oct/100522b.asp

• Sad 2

56 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

We grow our own feed for our horses, cows and chickens

Oh, says stupid city dweller.. lol    I don't know if my niece has enough land to grow the feed.  I  hope she doesn't end up disappointed that the chickens become too costly to kept fed because land and the land that the feed store has to rent is making everything way too expensive.  Land and  housing has spun out of control price-wise and that makes the feed more because it's more hobby farming around the semi-rural areas that exist around a very expensive metropolis.  Hobby farming can be expensive.   It depends.  I love growing some of my own like strawberries and tomatoes.   

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

so that some of us can no longer afford to eat. 

I hope that changes soon, hun.  I feel right crazy half the time with the food prices which is far beyond a peeve.  This is not the world I know anymore.   I hope something will be done soon for those who cannot afford, something and soon.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I hope that changes soon, hun.  I feel right crazy half the time with the food prices which is far beyond a peeve.  This is not the world I know anymore.   I hope something will be done soon for those who cannot afford, something and soon.

Thank you. I would have hope if it weren't for the fact that I know things are not going to get better. Not when I see things like this happening in one of the states that is supposed to be a leader in NOT doing things like this:

9-acre wooden roof lifted into place at PDX (msn.com)

That goes way beyond being peeved.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Thank you. I would have hope if it weren't for the fact that I know things are not going to get better. Not when I see things like this happening in one of the states that is supposed to be a leader in NOT doing things like this:

9-acre wooden roof lifted into place at PDX (msn.com)

That goes way beyond being peeved.

I have added nuts which one bag goes a long way in providing morning protein.  I have protein at lunch and dinner right now.  I still hope they do come up with something soon, vouchers for food perhaps.  I'm just plumb worn out with it all myself.  Just worn out.  

• Like 1

Wow. That was one hell of a weird thread.

It reminds me a little of some much older ones that evolved around controversies like the new parcel rating system, when trolls and shiny new accounts with axes to grind were popping up like mushrooms.

And . . . wow. LL really doesn't want us talking about this, do they? Not even an explanation this time.

Peeve: I missed it all!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It reminds me a little of some much older ones that evolved around controversies like the new parcel rating system, when trolls and shiny new accounts with axes to grind were popping up like mushrooms.

And . . . wow. LL really doesn't want us talking about this, do they? Not even an explanation this time.

This is what happens when RL takes us away from the computer.  We miss all the fun and get denied the chance of posting IBTL memes.

• Haha 3

Just now, Eddy Vortex said:

This is what happens when RL takes us away from the computer.  We miss all the fun and get denied the chance of posting IBTL memes.

I don't even get a "I posted to the Bots Thread and all I got was this crummy tee shirt" tee shirt.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not even an explanation this time.

I THINK that if topics like that stick to the OP (and logical divergences), and name/shame references from previous threads didn't pop up, we'd be able to have weird threads like that.

Peeve: when people who don't understand how the system work get threads locked!

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

They must have came back later, because there is an explanation there now..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1