@CaerolleClaudel im not sure whether to put a like or a sad face on that.  Forums are especially nice for introverts.  We don't have to speak in real time and can gracefully step away when needed.  No one sees our eye rolls.  I made most of my inworld friends here.

I firmly believe that most introverts need to be adopted by an extrovert or we will never leave the house.  I lost my extrovert a couple years ago when they moved away.  Definitely a homebody now.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Goodness, Caer, of course I didn't take it that way!

I'd totally say the Decameron is "real" literature. And Pope definitely has some good dirty bits too, especially in The Rape of the Lock!

One of the things that I occasionally teach is libertine literature, especially Aphra Behn (who was the first professional woman writer in English). It's absolutely scabrous, a lot of it, but really fascinating and clever, especially if you are interested (as oddly enough I am) in the evolution of cultural perceptions of women's sexuality.

And now I'd better shut up for a while. 🙂

Which book by Aphra Behn is best to start with? I see a lot of (banned word???) listed on Amazon..

Thanks! 😋

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
Somehow in one sentence asking for which book my post got sent to hidden. This is why I left the Forums before.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Goodness, Caer, of course I didn't take it that way!

I'd totally say the Decameron is "real" literature. And Pope definitely has some good dirty bits too, especially in The Rape of the Lock!

One of the things that I occasionally teach is libertine literature, especially Aphra Behn (who was the first professional woman writer in English). It's absolutely scabrous, a lot of it, but really fascinating and clever, especially if you are interested (as oddly enough I am) in the evolution of cultural perceptions of women's sexuality.

And now I'd better shut up for a while. 🙂

Wow, tried to ask which book to start with, and no matter what I do it goes to hidden. My biggest PET PEEVE, the same reason I left the Forums in the past, is that kind of stuff. Ridiculous.

I guess I will see if this gets through. Perhaps I am banned…

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

@CaerolleClaudel im not sure whether to put a like or a sad face on that.  Forums are especially nice for introverts.  We don't have to speak in real time and can gracefully step away when needed.  No one sees our eye rolls.  I made most of my inworld friends here.

I firmly believe that most introverts need to be adopted by an extrovert or we will never leave the house.  I lost my extrovert a couple years ago when they moved away.  Definitely a homebody now.

Apparently all my posts are blocked…was just trying to ask for specific book from Scylla’s rec and no matter what I did it would not go through, kept going to hidden. As far as I know there were no bad words or nothing vulgar in it…

PET PEEVE: This nonsense is why I left the Forums the last time.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I've been struggling to express why I am not as disturbed about the new forum rules as some people are. I think it's because I'm basically not a chatty person. It's why I avoid social media too. Unless I'm in a rare silly mood, I don't feel like small talk. I do enjoy deep, thoughtful conversation, so I will jump into some threads where Scylla or others have posed a provocative question (often after lurking for a bit). At the other extreme,  I walk away quickly when a thread turns into a cat fight. All in all, I guess that marks me as a non-GD forum person and explains why most of my post count over the years has been in other corners of the forums. 

That says two things to me. First,  that I and the many people I have come to know outside of the GD forum will probably shrug and continue as usual,  regardless of what happens here. Our SL forums will not die. Second, however, it says that I have been horribly callous about how much the GD forum means to many other people. For that,  I apologize. We each need our own comfortable corner to relax in, and this is home for many. Please don't give up on it. And don't fight it either. Reshape it in your own imaginative way. It will survive if you let it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Sorry for hijacking your other post, I wondered if I was banned and was testing that. Probably getting to the end of this time back on the Forums, lol.

I dunno, I do have a lot of places I liked to go in the past, even with introvert friends or even by myself. I just got used to going to see movies by myself (not a fan of Hollywood movies, prefer indie/small/art films) and out to eat at non-Midwestern restaurants (I find ‘ethnic’ to be a bad term, but have never found a better one…). My mental health has just gotten far worse over the last couple years and I have no motivation for much of anything except reading and the internet. 

Some of the reason I am posting here now is to get a little social interaction, but honestly I far prefer interacting in human space. I can be really extroverted one-on-one. More than two other people is far too much though. I guess I like online discussions because I can have 1:1 with individual people even on a site that has a lot of people (such as here or Discord). However, the biggest reason is that I am finding some sub-threads here quite interesting, and am enjoying the absence of personal attacks. One outcome of whatever LL is doing with the forum now, I suppose, lol.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I wish there was a Discord server for people from here to meet up and have discussions that while moderated, was more moderated to quash personal attacks and discussions that got too heated and were obviously not going to resolve, just get worse. My understanding is that a separate forum outside LL used to exist, but degenerated and died.

On this ....

One - Second Citizen and its revival - Second Citizen MK. II is indeed gone. The other - Second Life Universe - was rebranded/relaunched as VirtualVerse One.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

On this ....

One - Second Citizen and its revival - Second Citizen MK. II is indeed gone. The other - Second Life Universe - was rebranded/relaunched as VirtualVerse One.

PET PEEVE: I do not know what that is like and am too lazy to go look.

Would you might just a short summary of what it is like?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

VirtualVerse One is just an SL forum NOT run by LL.

What's the name of that one that has the super drama that people were talking about like a month or so ago?

It was virtual something, but can't remember..  I almost mistook that one for the updated SLU..  I'm so out of the loop on these things anymore.. hehehe

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

VirtualVerse One is populated by those that can't abide by the SL rules. It can get pretty rough.

Right ... if you think that is rough, you weren't paying attention to SC/SC Mk. II.

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

What's the name of that one that has the super drama that people were talking about like a month or so ago?

It was virtual something, but can't remember..  I almost mistook that one for the updated SLU..  I'm so out of the loop on these things anymore.. hehehe

Virtual Secrets or some such. What you're thinking of is not a Forum.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Solar Legion said:

Right ... if you think that is rough, you're dreaming.

Virtual Secrets or some such. What you're thinking of is not a Forum.

Thank you.. It took me a moment to realize it wasn't the same place, but also didn't want to totally forget the name of the other place so I don't end up in there by some strange chance..  I looked there one time and couldn't figure it out too well anyways.. still, it's a place i don't want to figure out from what I gather.

• Like 2

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

Thank you.. It took me a moment to realize it wasn't the same place, but also didn't want to totally forget the name of the other place so I don't end up in there by some strange chance..  I looked there one time and couldn't figure it out too well anyways.. still, it's a place i don't want to figure out from what I gather.

Gossip Rags/Tabloids and such simply aren't worth much time. RL or SL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

PET PEEVE: I do not know what that is like and am too lazy to go look.

Would you might just a short summary of what it is like?

In past at least it was affectionally known by its critics as the Hive. That would be about the shortest but most accurate summary I can think of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I wish there was a Discord server for people from here to meet up and have discussions that while moderated, was more moderated to quash personal attacks and discussions that got too heated and were obviously not going to resolve, just get worse. My understanding is that a separate forum outside LL used to exist, but degenerated and died.

I would just like to have more adult conversations, and not the ‘talk like you are talking to your Grandma’ restrictions. Some of the word and topics that used to be autobanned were just ridiculous to me. 

FWIW.

Oh, and please, someone call me out if I am at all saying things that might get this thread locked. I would feel horrible about that, and would rather stop posting than risk destroying this place people love. I have a lot of personal experience on the receiving end of that, and do not want to visit it on others.

Funny, I suggested such a thing and it was squashed pretty fast by most of the forum regulars as not a viable option. Anyone can make a discord channel though an invite others to join it.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Gossip Rags/Tabloids and such simply aren't worth much time. RL or SL.

I know this may be controversial, but when it comes to all that. I simply don't care about celebrities' personal lives. I mean they are human and should be afforded the same privacy as us. But anyways, celebrities mean jack poop to me. I only like them for what they do. Whether it act, sing, make music, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Funny, I suggested such a thing and it was squashed pretty fast by most of the forum regulars as not a viable option. Anyone can make a discord channel though an invite others to join it.

Yes, the problem is that the person would probably have to be one of the Forum icons, not some nobody like me with no friends lol. PET PEEVE: I have spent a fair amount of time trying to find Discord servers of interest to me with absolutely zero success. The one server on which I am active belongs to an author I follow. I love it a lot, but out of the billions of servers it is the only one I frequent.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I know this may be controversial, but when it comes to all that. I simply don't care about celebrities' personal lives. I mean they are human and should be afforded the same privacy as us. But anyways, celebrities mean jack poop to me. I only like them for what they do. Whether it act, sing, make music, etc. 

I have found that usually I do not want to know much about famous people I admire. Literary and visual artists are mostly horrible people, IME and IMO….

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I really couldn't agree more.. They really should stick to what they know best and stop trying to act like they know best about what they don't know much about.. it usually shortens their careers..

The ones shrouded in mystery are the ones I tolerate most.. hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Lol

Well, at least me and my man Dick get a shout out there.

Not sure how the mods are likely to feel about the resurrection of an 11 year old thread! That's more like Great Great Great Grandfathering!

If it worked, though, there would be a nearly endless supply of material!

Usually on most boards resurrected threads get locked.  The board software does have a function to auto-close a thread after a certain period.

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Should be new rule that 4 cups of coffee is required for posting!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1