5 hours ago, Orwar said:

My grandfather used to tell me dirty jokes from a very young age. And I mean, absolutely filthy ones.

Dirty jokes never go out of fashion!

Final Peeve 099: Comedians in SL --- we need MORE!

Used to go to one club that had some comedians  that told some good jokes including dirty ones.

That's my last peeve as I'll be stepping away from this mboard. Was fun --- time to move on.

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Senile.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:
1 hour ago, Orwar said:

in the US, around 75% of the 'honey' sold has never seen a bee! 

What!?

A quick web search pulled up quite a few articles that all say roughly the same thing:

"Honey is the third-most-faked food in the world, behind milk and olive oil"

Apparently, much of our store honey is actually a "blend", meaning other stuff has been added, or is not pure for other reasons.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

What!?

18 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's seen a bee but technically it can't be called honey since the pollen has been removed in 75% of store bought honey.  

That's a part of it, but I was watching some documentary a while back (can't remember which one it was, otherwise I'd provide the exact source - sorry!), where they spoke about how a lot of honey in the US is produced by mixing fructose and corn syrup with artificial flavourings to mimic honey, and how the US laws didn't prohibit such products to say 'honey' on them. I think they had to provide information on the box of the contents and stuff, but it was fine-print sort of things your average consumer wouldn't know how to decipher anyway. But yes, three quarters of the 'actual' honey sold also doesn't technically meet the requirements to be called honey either. At least not by European standards. Also the pollen is kind of what would make honey 'healthy', take that out and you're basically just left with fructose (38%) and glucose (31%) anyway.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

What!?

That surprised me so much that I went and did some web crawling. This "statistic" appears to come from a 2012 article that is just chock full of falsehoods and sensationalism. The debunking site "Rectofossal Ambiguity" had this to say about it:

"The central claim [of the 2012 article] is that “the vast majority of so-called honey products sold at grocery stores, big box stores, drug stores, and restaurants do not contain any pollen, which means they are not real honey”. So, products “found to contain not a trace of pollen” are not honey?

"This is Utter, Utter Bollocks (µ²B) as has been confirmed in the US Courts pollen is not a defining ingredient in honey. The lawsuit in question cited the California Food and Agricultural Code which stipulates that honey may not be processed such that “its essential composition is changed or its quality is impaired” – but that pollen may be removed provided that is part of the process of removing other stuff..."

The honey you buy in the U.S. is filtered and pasteurized (unless it is "raw honey"), but thank goodness, it does come from bees.

I bet Snopes has something to say, too.  Checked: Nope, but Google showed me an article that said "Israeli scientists create honey without bees" lol.

Thanks @Lindal Kidd, that smelled like bee stuffs. *ETA* And I don't mean clover!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

Dug around a bit, can't find the thing I watched before - and I wouldn't stake my life on the exact numbers being as I recall them. But yeah. Adulteration of honey is big stuff. Found this from Australia on the topic for those curious:

Like Love though, I get my honey from friends who keep bees themselves - but then I'm not allowed honey on my diet, and I stopped sweetening my tea ages ago so I never used much. But I do go through a fair bit of beeswax! .. Well, I don't eat it .. I put it on my sewing thread when I make books, and occasionally on decorated edges. ^_^

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I'd think it's also good for sewing the skins of those who done you wrong!

Well yeah, sewing through skin is tough work on the thread. Gotta protect it from fraying! 

• Thanks 1

I think the biggest problem with most store honey is more about the various sugars added to it, though there really was some 'fake' honey from China at some point.

Here is a 2020 article that talks about some of the issues:
https://www.insider.com/fake-honey-problems-how-it-works-2020-9

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I think the biggest problem with most store honey is more about the various sugars added to it, though there really was some 'fake' honey from China at some point.

Here is a 2020 article that talks about some of the issues:
https://www.insider.com/fake-honey-problems-how-it-works-2020-9

I knew there was a China story!

57 minutes ago, Dream Starchild said:

Yes - in the US you gotta read the labels carefully. I buy local raw honey. Also: maple syrup. If it doesn't say 100% pure maple syrup on the bottle, it's high fructose corn syrup with flavoring and food coloring.

Peeve of the day: having ideas and inspiration, but no energy. Ugh.

When I lived in the USA I had maples on my land. Depending on how good the previous summer had been, each spring it was 60-80 gallons of sap to boil down for each gallon of maple syrup.  Maples are also kind enough to drop plenty of hot-and-clean burning firewood each year too so they took care of cooking it down as well :)

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

When I lived in the USA I had maples on my land. Depending on how good the previous summer had been, each spring it was 60-80 gallons of sap to boil down for each gallon of maple syrup.  Maples are also kind enough to drop plenty of hot-and-clean burning firewood each year too so they took care of cooking it down as well :)

I think it is @Madelaine McMasterswho talks about the sap occasionally. And no, I don't mean "the ladies" (you know which ones).

11 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think it was the Science Fiction author Spider Robinson who wrote that in every civilization - every planet, galaxy, etc. is a drink with the name "Whiskey and Sour" - with different spellings but the same gist: "Oisghian Saur", "Weeskyan Soir", etc.

Doug Adams said that About gin & tonics in one of Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy books. 

Edited by kali Wylder
Word skipped
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peeve: Internet scams are getting pretty tricksty. Like everyone else I've gotten the fake invoices, and all of that, and I think I'm reasonably savvy, but holy cow! I just got one from service@PayPal.com (and that's the actual email addy, it doesn't say Larr4295@gmail),  that looks VERY legit, with a bitcoin invoice, a button to click through, a dispute number to call. I did none of that! I went to PayPal's own site, contacted a CSR (still waiting for a reply), and did my own research. This particular scam is making the rounds, and the horrid thing is they are gaming PayPal's own site so the invoice CAN show up IN your account! (So far one is not in mine, but it could be a matter of time.) Of course everyone panics, worrying that the money will be paid out of the account with the invoice sitting there, but you have to actively pay the invoice. It doesn't happen automatically. PayPal can't really do much with "pending" transactions! The other part of this is that the scammers want you to call the dispute line and give them information.

Like I said, I'm pretty aware (and did the right things today) but wow... This one was too good. I still get the Nigerian prince ones, too, btw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

25 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Peeve: Internet scams are getting pretty tricksty. Like everyone else I've gotten the fake invoices, and all of that, and I think I'm reasonably savvy, but holy cow! I just got one from service@PayPal.com (and that's the actual email addy, it doesn't say Larr4295@gmail),  that looks VERY legit, with a bitcoin invoice, a button to click through, a dispute number to call. I did none of that! I went to PayPal's own site, contacted a CSR (still waiting for a reply), and did my own research. This particular scam is making the rounds, and the horrid thing is they are gaming PayPal's own site so the invoice CAN show up IN your account! (So far one is not in mine, but it could be a matter of time.) Of course everyone panics, worrying that the money will be paid out of the account with the invoice sitting there, but you have to actively pay the invoice. It doesn't happen automatically. PayPal can't really do much with "pending" transactions! The other part of this is that the scammers want you to call the dispute line and give them information.

Like I said, I'm pretty aware (and did the right things today) but wow... This one was too good. I still get the Nigerian prince ones, too, btw.

I ran into a special one the other day:

Google search showed me stuff I wanted to buy, on a "new-to-me" website.

Bought stuff on the site: Got a Paypal error, resubmitted it, got Paypal confirmation. 

Got an email from the site "Waiting for you to complete your transaction".

Emailed the website's addy, response from my email provider: "Invalid email". 

No other website contact issue except a phone number.

Called the number, recording said in a computer voice: "One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Boom Boom"

Called PayPal, they said "You have to wait a week".  Luckily the purchase was only $57.

What did I learn?  

First warning sign: The price was a little lower than some other sites - lower enough.. (They probably somehow mined the thing I was looking for from other web searches and other sites.)

Second warning sign: The initial Paypal error, which Paypal says was my credit card provider.

Everything after that was giant red flags.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
20 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I think it is @Madelaine McMasterswho talks about the sap occasionally. And no, I don't mean "the ladies" (you know which ones).

For many years, I'd go maple sugaring with friends. Their sugar shack could process up to a thousand gallons of syrup in a season, from 40,000 gallons of sap. After collecting sap into a tank-sleigh pulled through the snowy forest stand by mules, we'd get all toasty around the wood fired evaporator while eating potluck.

It's a fun way to spend a crisp late winter day, even if you are prone to sugarfooting*.

*Accidentally spilling sap into the top of your boot, because you're too proud to admit you're not strong enough to carry two full buckets to the sleigh, like the boys.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

aB8n47z_460s.jpg

• Haha 7