Peeve: Some new TVs that require internet to work.  A niece bought a new Samsung (a brand I would steer clear of) and wanted to use it as a dumb TV. Where they live it's in a rural area and internet is none existent.

After contacting Samsung we were told there was no way around it and ended up taking the thing back to the store. She would have bought an actual dumb TV, but those are non-existent except for commercial displays. Since we own a pub ended up ordering a NEC monitor for her. It only has inputs and no tuner or smart crap.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I said...Try harder!

I HAVE BEEN!!!!

I have rather controversial hills I would die on...and all anyone cared about was that I said celebs should stick to acting!  So now I have retreated into my bubble of oblivion and am happily zorbing down my hills!!

34mMJAN.gif

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I HAVE BEEN!!!!

I have rather controversial hills I would die on...and all anyone cared about was that I said celebs should stick to acting!  So now I have retreated into my bubble of oblivion and am happily zorbing down my hills!!

34mMJAN.gif

Got a little ill just watching that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I HAVE BEEN!!!!

34mMJAN.gif

Wanna zorb drag race?

zorb-long.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Peeve: Some new TVs that require internet to work.  A niece bought a new Samsung (a brand I would steer clear of) and wanted to use it as a dumb TV. Where they live it's in a rural area and internet is none existent.

After contacting Samsung we were told there was no way around it and ended up taking the thing back to the store. She would have bought an actual dumb TV, but those are non-existent except for commercial displays. Since we own a pub ended up ordering a NEC monitor for her. It only has inputs and no tuner or smart crap.

I am rural.  I have a pretty dumb and old Samsung TV.  I bought a little indoor antenna with 250 mile range and put it in my window (no other monthly fees.)  It only has to face in the general direction of the closest large city.  I get 3 network channels and 12 weird and random ones.  I find I actually like the channel Comet because it shows old B movie flicks.  Badly dubbed Godzilla for the win!

The antenna works on my new much smarter Samsng TV as well and set itself up by itself when I plugged in the USB. 

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
Added new tv
  • Like 2

Creators that do not center their root object, making some items harder to position.  If the piece is modifiable and the root item is just an ownership prim, then I can fix the problem, but otherwise......

Typically I don't buy no-mod items, but if I receive them as a gift and like the items, I'll keep them.  Irritates me though if they are hard to position because of where the root object is.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What I hate is when the object root's axes of rotation are wonky -- for exactly this reason.

In mild defense of some creators, the axis orientation that is standard in SL is not the same as it is in the major programs that most 3D modelers use here (Maya and Blender).  In those programs, the +Y axis points forward (that is, in the direction that your avatar looks and interprets as "forward") ; in SL, the +X axis does. Creators who are not familiar with SL's convention can very easily make models that they think are rotated properly, but are 90 degrees from what you or I expect. That makes little difference for many objects, but others (like vehicles, for example) depend on having +X pointing forward, or they don't work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

In mild defense of some creators, the axis orientation that is standard in SL is not the same as it is in the major programs that most 3D modelers use here (Maya and Blender).  In those programs, the +Y axis points forward (that is, in the direction that your avatar looks and interprets as "forward") ; in SL, the +X axis does. Creators who are not familiar with SL's convention can very easily make models that they think are rotated properly, but are 90 degrees from what you or I expect. That makes little difference for many objects, but others (like vehicles, for example) depend on having +X pointing forward, or they don't work.

My interpretation of what Scylla meant -- and I may be totally off -- is when the root item (often just an ownership prim, but not always) is rotated wonky with really odd values -- say 19% or 63% - such that moving the whole item is a royal PITA.  If the item is Mod, that can sometimes be fixed, but not always.  I had a creator once that added a shadow prim, making it the root.  However, the prim was rotated differently from the main item - for who knows what reason - so you had to manipulate the X & Y axis back and forth to get the position right.  You couldn't just change the rotation of the shadow or it didn't look right.  After I learned more about tearing things apart and relinking and such, I simply made a different piece the root.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My interpretation of what Scylla meant -- and I may be totally off -- is when the root item (often just an ownership prim, but not always) is rotated wonky with really odd values -- say 19% or 63% - such that moving the whole item is a royal PITA.  If the item is Mod, that can sometimes be fixed, but not always.  I had a creator once that added a shadow prim, making it the root.  However, the prim was rotated differently from the main item - for who knows what reason - so you had to manipulate the X & Y axis back and forth to get the position right.  You couldn't just change the rotation of the shadow or it didn't look right.  After I learned more about tearing things apart and relinking and such, I simply made a different piece the root.

Yep. I can manage a simple substitution of one axis for another -- although I can see from a scripter's perspective why that might be an issue.

But when the root prim is at a really odd rotation relative to the environment, and usually the rest of the object, it can be annoying as hell.

• Like 1