in memory of the queen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Butch Daddy said:

Master was used for young males. 

Have you never watched The Toy with Richard Pryor?

Yes, 30 some-odd years ago.

I have much more clear memories of Richie Rich comics, where Cadbury always addressed Richie as "Master".

Edited by Love Zhaoying
1 movie vs. 20 years of RR comics is why

I'm not sure LL would make names available to honor the queen because it's an American company. If it were a British company I'm sure it would be so. Also, since names are paid for with a premium account and additional cash they might be accused of profiting off her death. Maybe they can add some of the names suggested in the next round of last names.

Still a bit sad to hear the news. Presidents and prime ministers come and go but she was always there.

• Like 1

As a monarchist, an English national and as a British subject of the United Kingdom, I do not want Linden Labs to commercially exploit my country's proud 1000+ year history and traditions for tasteless tacky money-making gimmicks, such as selling royal names or imaginary royal title names to undeserving people in Second Life for short-term trends or attention-seeking bandwagoning purposes.

Linden Labs already strictly forbids the Linden name being used by Residents in SL,  so they should not even consider allowing British royal names or titles to be used in SL, especially at this most difficult time in our country's recent history.

For LL to do otherwise would be in the worst possible taste. So please do not do this.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

undeserving people

/me facepalms

4 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

For LL do otherwise would be in the worst possible taste and would be beneath contempt and which will undoubtably fuel outrage and a strong backlash from British and Commonwealth Nations residents.

Hi. Commonwealth Nations resident here. What on earth are you talking about?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

And here's the problem with this thread, and why we can't have nice things anymore.

I have nothing in principle against adding names associated with someone who seems, on the balance, to have mostly been a reasonably nice old lady. I have no particular animus against Elizabeth Windsor, late Queen of Great Britain.

But whether we want to acknowledge it or not, this "ask" is political because of what she represents. And what she represents is precisely the point of "memorializing" her this way: no one I've seen has ever suggested that other more anonymous nice old ladies be commemorated with names here.

I'm not personally going to lose a lot of sleep if LL decides to use "Windsor" as a last name; it really doesn't much matter to me.

But come on. Let's not pretend that there isn't a political underpinning to this, or that "politics" are being brought into this by "undeserving people": the monarchy as an institution, and even to some degree Elizabeth as a person, are literally "political," in every possible sense of that word.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Greetings, All!

At this time, this thread is acceptable. As long as it stays ON TOPIC for the last names request. 

Further devolving into discussions outside of Last Names will result in posts being removed and the thread locked. 

If you wish to keep this thread open, I suggest that all comments going forward remain strictly on topic with regards to the request for new last names. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Why should we lookup Cabbage? Do you think we would doubt you?

You're not sneaking something political in there, are you? lol!

No, no, I'm pretty sure NOBODY on the Forum would EVER doubt the omniscient and also very charming and beautiful MOI! (Just ignore that time I mistook my monitor bezel for a graphics artifact, OK?)

And it's not political. "Cabbage" was one of Phillip's pet names for her.

And let's add "Corgi" to the list, while I'm thinking about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, no, I'm pretty sure NOBODY on the Forum would EVER doubt the omniscient and also very charming and beautiful MOI! (Just ignore that time I mistook my monitor bezel for a graphics artifact, OK?)

Perhaps from the French Mon Petit Chou?

• Like 3

Anyway, wasn't there a thread about new last names in which there was a link where you could make suggestions directly to Linden Lab, and then if you name suggestion was taken up, you could use it for free instead of having to pay the current charge to have a last name, presumably without having to have a premium account (although I'm not quite sure on that latter point).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm laughing because I thought "Cabbage" was the pet name Philip used ... in Spitting Image in the 1980s.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Is there a master list of all last names used in SL since it started?  I'm wonder if some of the names suggested in this thread were used in the old days.....

There is, somewhere, a now fairly out-of-date list of legacy names that includes when they were offered, when withdrawn, and how many accounts chose them. It won't include the newer names added since LL restarted last names, though.

I should see if I can't find it.

ETA: I think this is what I was remembering, but the actual database seems to inaccessible now

https://slnamewatch.com/FAQ.htm

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

Unbelievable.
Dabbling about last names because of the death of Queen Elizabeth II is allowed, while a thread to share memories and show respect is closed.

Me shakes head in disbelieve and tiptoes out of this thread again.

Let me add a last name suggestion: Hypocrite.
But it is of course not aimed at Her Majesty.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 11

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since so far as I know, her last name was "Highness" as in, "Your Highness" and "Your Royal Highness", I support that kind of last name for Second Life!

Also, I support such last names as "Kingsley"!

Because lion.

I think Highness would be a very popular last name with the 4:20 crowd.

True story ...

I went to high school with a kid with the last name Bates, and he brought in a holiday card once from his rather formal grandmother (this was back in the 1970s) addressed to, you guessed it ...

We spent DAYS laughing and snorting about it.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

True story ...

I went to high school with a kid with the last name Bates, and he brought in a holiday card once from his rather formal grandmother (this was back in the 1970s) addressed to, you guessed it ...

We spent DAYS laughing and snorting about it.

It's a wonderfully old joke. Jonathan Swift, in the first book of Gulliver's Travels, has a long paragraph about Gulliver's apprenticeship to a London surgeon by the name of James Bates, whom he playfully refers to in various ways as "my master, Mr. Bates," etc., before finally landing the joke in the last sentence.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.