in memory of the queen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With the greatest respect, absolutely not. What a horrible precedent that would be.

Just the British queen? What about other heads of state? 

And, as respectful as I want to be, and as beloved as this particular woman was by many, it's important to remember that the institution that she represented is despised, for some pretty valid reasons, by just as many around the world. This would be enormously divisive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

With the greatest respect, absolutely not. What a horrible precedent that would be.

Just the British queen? What about other heads of state? 

And, as respectful as I want to be, and as beloved as this particular woman was by many, it's important to remember that the institution that she represented is despised, for some pretty valid reasons, by just as many around the world. This would be enormously divisive.

Thank you for your interesting feedback on this thread! I did not see this on other threads, but sometimes things slip by.  Who knows, perhaps your statements are part of why the "memorial" thread was locked.  We'll never know!

Thanks again for your participation on this Forum!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Who knows, perhaps your statements are part of why the "memorial" thread was locked.  We'll never know!

As I made no statements on the memorial thread, was barely on the forums yesterday, not appearing until well after it had been locked, and wouldn't have critiqued it if I had contributed, that seems highly unlikely.

But please, don't let me interrupt your insinuations.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Who knows, perhaps your statements are part of why the "memorial" thread was locked.  We'll never know!

As I made no statements on the memorial thread, was barely on the forums yesterday, not appearing until well after it had been locked, and wouldn't have critiqued it if I had contributed, that seems highly unlikely.

But please, don't let me interrupt your insinuations.

Le' Sigh. What I MEANT was, perhaps people with strong negative reactions to the topic, in the manner of which you describe, and threats of that type of possible negative reaction.

Not anything YOU said. Just the information you provided clued me in! 

I'm sorry you chose to take this personally. It was not intended that way.

Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think it's as good a reason for new names as any.   Much better than the whole Daddy set they had out.  @Marianne Littlehad a nice set of names I'm sure many would love to use.

DADDY set???? /me turns a little green Like, what?

I actually do know a Saxe-Coburg IRL, I believe may even have a title—and cats.

Edited by Seicher Rae
formatting madness
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think it's as good a reason for new names as any.   Much better than the whole Daddy set they had out.  @Marianne Littlehad a nice set of names I'm sure many would love to use.

The german names could be used, I think. The places could have a letter added or removed. Holyrood = Holyrod. Balmoral = Balmoor?

I can't think every head of state should have memory names. But isn't this one something special? All those years. Going from black/white photos. It was rare to have a tv. To where news are posted on the web in a second and we have a computer in front of us. 

I don't know if it would be offensive. She had a sense of humour, didn't she?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

DADDY set???? /me turns a little green

Like, what? I actually do know a Saxe-Coburg IRL, I believe may even have a title—and cats.

For Father's day last year? they had Daddy and such out as limited edition last names.  They did Mommy for Mother's day.   I've seen a few less than appealing uses for Daddy inworld.  How surprising!

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

The OP is very narrowly about SL. In its narrowness it doesn't allow for much "derail" wiggle room (not a slam at the OP, it was a clever way to try again). We've already seen it inspire political shades :::frowns @Scylla Rhiadra who kept it reined it but still::: I have no doubt that The Powers That Be will double-down on their technically correct but really stupid decision to shut the sincere tribute thread. They are forever tone deaf.

What will most assuredly get this thread locked down is unwarranted speculation about "who is responsible" for the locking of the other. On Twitter, and in the popular media, I've been watching the weaponization of this event by, frankly, both monarchists and anti-monarchists, and the imputation that anyone other than the mods themselves are responsible for shutting it down is looking to be in the same order. I had nothing whatsoever against the "memorial" thread, nor have I seen anyone suggest that they did.

I think the proposed scheme would be a bad move for all sorts of reasons, but the request, and this thread, are in my view valid. Whether the mods will agree remains to be seen.

Unfortunately, explaining why millions of people both in, but especially outside of the UK, would find this offensive, would involve a discussion of politics, and I don't intend to get into that.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What will most assuredly get this thread locked down is unwarranted speculation about "who is responsible" for the locking of the other. On Twitter, and in the popular media, I've been watching the weaponization of this event by, frankly, both monarchists and anti-monarchists, and the imputation that anyone other than the mods themselves are responsible for shutting it down is looking to be in the same order. I had nothing whatsoever against the "memorial" thread, nor have I seen anyone suggest that they did.

I think the proposed scheme would be a bad move for all sorts of reasons, but the request, and this thread, are in my view valid. Whether the mods will agree remains to be seen.

Unfortunately, explaining why millions of people both in, but especially outside of the UK, would find this offensive, would involve a discussion of politics, and I don't intend to get into that.

Thank you for the analysis! 

Not sure who brought it up in this thread, but maybe they can keep it "low" so it can continue. Not that it matters to me!

Thanks again!

Hmm no thank you, I already cringe whenever I meet an english person with a first name like "Sir" or "Lord", let's not encourage them further! :P

Anyway, as has been pointed out, the british monarchy is too divisive a subject and, despite her unusually long reign, I see no real reason to single out this monarch for special treatment over any other head of state or world leader.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Hmm no thank you, I already cringe whenever I meet an english person with a first name like "Sir" or "Lord", let's not encourage them further! :P

Anyway, as has been pointed out, the british monarchy is too divisive a subject and, despite her unusually long reign, I see no real reason to single out this monarch for special treatment over any other head of state or world leader.

My generation (I am 56) were sent mail addressed to "Master" [First name Last name] by our older relatives, when young. I assume girls were addressed as "Mistress".

I am not making this up.

ETA: American.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My generation (I am 56) were sent mail addressed to "Master" [First name Last name] by our older relatives.

I am not making this up.

My mother always addressed birthday cards to male nephews and such that way.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My generation (I am 56) were sent mail addressed to "Master" [First name Last name] by our older relatives.

I am not making this up.

As a child I was raised by my fathers oldest sister who was around 70 years older than me (she was born in the early 1900s) so I had a very "traditional" upbringing myself. 😅

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My generation (I am 56) were sent mail addressed to "Master" [First name Last name] by our older relatives, when young. I assume girls were addressed as "Mistress".

I am not making this up.

Miss is the shortened version of Mistress, so you're not wrong.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am not making this up.

Master was used for young males. 

Have you never watched The Toy with Richard Pryor?

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.