2 other users is also here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Did this feature just get added today? I noticed the site was down earlier for an update. I have also seen it actually name the users. Is this a privacy breech for those who browse forums? How do you feel about this?

And could it at least say "2 other users are also here"

also here.PNG

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's down to changing your online status via https://community.secondlife.com/settings/account-security/ where you see X number of users that's people that have chosen to be hidden if you see someone's name at the top of the thread you may also see that they are typing a reply in a thread just above the reply box

• Like 2

I'm waiting for someone to show up to show some really cool thing we can do with this.. Because I sure don't have a clue.. hehehehe

There is always someone showing up when I jump the gun, with some sort of silver lining that makes me go, Hmph, I didn't even think of that?! Maybe dis not so bad now o0

hehehe

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm waiting for someone to show up to show some really cool thing we can do with this.. Because I sure don't have a clue.. hehehehe

There is always someone showing up when I jump the gun, with some sort of silver lining that makes me go, Hmph, I didn't even think of that?! Maybe dis not so bad now o0

hehehe

"I've been hopping around, following you as you have been moving across the forum, and I have come to some conclusions. 1) You are here ALL the time, and clearly don't have a life, and are never actually in-world, and 2) you really like those naked pics, don't you? I mean, REALLY like them . . . hmmmmmmmm."

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"I've been hopping around, following you as you have been moving across the forum, and I have come to some conclusions. 1) You are here ALL the time, and clearly don't have a life, and are never actually in-world, and 2) you really like those naked pics, don't you? I mean, REALLY like them . . . hmmmmmmmm."

I knew that hidden thing was a fake button!! \o/

• Haha 3

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Do NOT read Virtual Secrets this weekend, Ceka.

Where is that at so I know  not to read that? 0o

Oh wait, that's that one web site you guys were talking about like a couple weeks ago?    I'mma go to the neked thread instead and not post any nekeds again.. hehehehe

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

stalker-creeping.gif

• Haha 4

This option was recently added to the InvisionBoard platform and this board just got updated with it. I saw a few "extra" boards for a short time then went poof.

The amateur radio board got the update a few days ago and some got caught off guard by it.  I do know some newspaper sites comment thingies will shoe "someone typing" or something like that.

InvisionBoard and Xenforo are about the only 2 paid platforms most commercial outfits (like Linden Lab) can choose from.

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Old and forgetful.
  • Like 1

It is interesting that the SL residents concerned about privacy at this level aren't that concerned about RL privacy. I suspect most carry a cell phone and a good portion of those are iPhones made in China. Go figure. Then they likely use Google and Chrome...

SL is one of the few places where anonymity is THE THING. And it isn't really surprising that those here are interested in remaining anonymous and are concerned about our pseudo names appearing at the top of a forum thread page. I personally just don't see it as an issue. Like Solar, it just isn't an issue for me.

Scylla's post is a great example of how the information can be abused.

While that is a possibility, anyone that is following another that closely in the forum should probably just meet up in world. Plus, the time needed to follow someone in the forum via the info at the top of the page has to be enormous.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Ho hum. Much ado about nothing.

15 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Like Solar, it just isn't an issue for me.

No, this isn't a big thing. I usually make my presence obvious by posting, after all. And you'd just need to look at my post count to know that I pop in here pretty regularly and contribute.

But it is utterly unnecessary information, and it is intrusive. Not "Chrome knows where I slept last night" level of intrusive, obviously, but still more of an invasion of personal privacy and anonymity than is really, surely, warranted by whatever "benefits" are supposed accrue from it. Most people, I'd imagine, don't have "locate me on a map" enabled for any but a very select number of friends in-world. This is somewhat analogous to that. Again, there aren't as many possible consequences here, but I can imagine the information being misused. At some point, someone is going to post something like "I see you've been sitting on this thread now for 3 hours, watching it closely."

The fact that one can hide oneself mitigates the effect a lot. But, were I not able to do that, yes, this would impact on my posting here negatively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

No, this isn't a big thing. I usually make my presence obvious by posting, after all. And you'd just need to look at my post count to know that I pop in here pretty regularly and contribute.

But it is utterly unnecessary information, and it is intrusive. Not "Chrome knows where I slept last night" level of intrusive, obviously, but still more of an invasion of personal privacy and anonymity than is really, surely, warranted by whatever "benefits" are supposed accrue from it. Most people, I'd imagine, don't have "locate me on a map" enabled for any but a very select number of friends in-world. This is somewhat analogous to that. Again, there aren't as many possible consequences here, but I can imagine the information being misused. At some point, someone is going to post something like "I see you've been sitting on this thread now for 3 hours, watching it closely."

The fact that one can hide oneself mitigates the effect a lot. But, were I not able to do that, yes, this would impact on my posting here negatively.

That's nice.

It isn't intrusive - at all. You're free to feel/believe otherwise of course.

All information can be "misused" and anyone that pulls the "I see you've been watching this thread for x amount of time" ... Is someone you can safely toss into the Ignore system (if you use it). At the minimum you now know the sort of person they are and can act/respond accordingly.

Looking for a similarity between this and the in program Location function is ... silly at best.

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

... Is this a privacy breech for those who browse forums? How do you feel about this?

And could it at least say "2 other users are also here"

also here.PNG

No. You pretty much have that feature on many other online forums. It's not as if it's offering your rl personal information or any identifying features to any one.

• Like 2

Personally, I think it's a good addition. I like it. It opens up all sorts of new and interesting options.

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

At some point, someone is going to post something like "I see you've been sitting on this thread now for 3 hours, watching it closely."

creepy-awkward.gif

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice.

It isn't intrusive - at all. You're free to feel/believe otherwise of course.

All information can be "misused" and anyone that pulls the "I see you've been watching this thread for x amount of time" ... Is someone you can safely toss into the Ignore system (if you use it). At the minimum you now know the sort of person they are and can act/respond accordingly.

Looking for a similarity between this and the in program Location function is ... silly at best.

I think it's great that you don't care that people can see where you are here on this forum, what you're reading, or even, if they care enough, track your movements.

If it's true that all information can be misused, then the less that is available to be misused and abused, if it serves no useful purpose, the better.

And while it's not going to keep me up at night, yeah, actually, I don't particularly want people to know where I am on the forums, anymore than I want them to know that I'm visiting "Lesbian Humiliation Paradise" in-world. It's more information about me that you don't need to know, and shouldn't have access to without my permission. Fortunately, there is an opt-out, so my permission is required.

So, flip this around. Explain to me the value of this.

Tell me the really good reasons you should have access to information about what other people are reading here.

• Like 1

This is a bit too much info for me, who is here, who is typing ...

Most of the forums I 've been part had a feature that showed who was online, that is Ok, but who is looking at a thread? Nor necessary I think

ETA: And some of you are typing for a looong time :)

Edited by Tary Allen
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

... If it's true that all information can be misused, then the less that is available to be misused and abused, if it serves no useful purpose, the better...

... I don't particularly want people to know where I am on the forums, anymore than I want them to know that I'm visiting "Lesbian Humiliation Paradise" in-world...

You're over-thinking this. 

If you truly don't want people to know where you are on the forum, then you might as well stop posting in threads. That literally tells us more information about you in your post than a bar at the top which just tells us you're present.

Edited by HRH Andrew
  • Like 2

Just now, HRH Andrew said:

You're over-thinking this. 

If you truly don't want people to know where you are on the forum, then you might as well stop posting in threads. That literally tells us more information about you in your post than literally a bar at the top telling us you're present.

Well, I've already said that I announce my presence by posting a lot here. So, no, this isn't as intrusive as some other things might be.

Answer my question, though!

WHY do you need to know this? What value does it add to the forums that is outweighed by the passing on this information.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think it's great that you don't care that people can see where you are here on this forum, what you're reading, or even, if they care enough, track your movements.

If it's true that all information can be misused, then the less that is available to be misused and abused, if it serves no useful purpose, the better.

And while it's not going to keep me up at night, yeah, actually, I don't particularly want people to know where I am on the forums, anymore than I want them to know that I'm visiting "Lesbian Humiliation Paradise" in-world. It's more information about me that you don't need to know, and shouldn't have access to without my permission. Fortunately, there is an opt-out, so my permission is required.

So, flip this around. Explain to me the value of this.

Tell me the really good reasons you should have access to information about what other people are reading here.

I'll keep this as simple as possible and try to keep my tone as neutral as possible.

There is no need to come up with reasons for them to have the information as the information does not matter one whit. At all. So someone can see that you're browsing a thread or typing a response - big deal. In the grand scheme of such things, this is not even on the map, let alone the radar (or anything else for that matter).

The sorts of people who would abuse such information are the same sorts that eventually get themselves actioned by Moderation (or governance if done within the main program).

Point blank on this: There are other changes over the years which I - personally - rather dislike. I have mentioned a small number of them before. I may not like them but - by and large - I won't pretend they're something they certainly are not.

You can take all of this or leave it - up to you. At the end of the day, I simply do not care enough about it to bother dancing to the tune.

It is not an invasion of privacy. At all.

ETA: I'll give you one thing that I see as absolutely pointless - The Leaderboard. How about another - Reputation Points.

Neither of those serve any purpose. They just don't. Yet here they are.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.