2 other users is also here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The question is whether that is a positive addition to the forum?

I wish that I could ask the Arbiters of Questioning, what THEY think about The Question.  Oh..that's you! 

So, you no like? 

We can put you down as a "net detractor", companies measure things in "supporters" and "detractors" these days.

46 minutes ago, Nekomimis said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Shhh, don't tell them / admit that everyone judges everyone else for everything, 100% of the time. That would make this seem inconsequential!

To be fair I don't have enough energy to judge everyone I see like that, but I am well aware that everything has the potential for being a point of judgement!

I use "judge" somewhat differently than many, who use the judgy/judgemental definition in which judgments are seen as unreasonable, unwarranted, or excessive.

I just use it to mean judge, and yes we all do it, all the time, mostly un/subconsciously. That's why we're on top of the evolutionary ladder.

For me, the question is whether I know all the judgments I make and whether they are reasonable. Do I blindly follow unseen breadcrumbs? If there are people who make a living out of exciting the nosy neighbor I harbor, what's she seeing that I don't? What's she having me do about that?

To be contrary, I do have enough mental energy to judge everyone I see at some level. To be honest, I'm just like Nekomimis, and haven't the conscious energy to think much about that...

...unless I'm posting here.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

To be contrary, I do have enough mental energy to judge everyone I see at some level. To be honest, I'm just like Nekomimis, and haven't the conscious energy to think much about that...

...unless I'm posting here.

Yep. It's SOOOO exhausting. Automatic responses, context-switching, the whole gamut.

Just now, Paul Hexem said:

The real question is, can I leave one of my spare computers logged in with a single letter in the text entry box, to make it look as if I'm typing for days or weeks at a time?

You know what they say about Paul?

He's got endurance. He can go for days and days and days . . .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

The real question is, can I leave one of my spare computers logged in with a single letter in the text entry box, to make it look as if I'm typing for days or weeks at a time?

I entertained exactly the same idea, using Snugs. She had to keep her window active, so I couldn't push her into the background. Your method, using a spare computer, might work, but I'd not be surprised if there was a timeout mechanism in place.

It does seem I can leave Snugs (in the background) in a forum indefinitely (an hour, at least), peering down on everyone else in the thread. I could also hide RootBeerDrinkingLampshade and park her somewhere else, to make an ominous anonymous overlady.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Good for knowing what topic is hot and what's not. I like it.

Well, we already have a "Hot!" notification in red for topics that are getting a lot of love and attention.

And you don't need to know the names of the people looking at a thread to recognize that it's hot. Just the numbers would suffice. The fact that "Arielle Popstar is also here" doesn't make it hot, in and of itself.

Although . . . you know, maybe it does! 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, we already have a "Hot!" notification in red for topics that are getting a lot of love and attention.

And you don't need to know the names of the people looking at a thread to recognize that it's hot. Just the numbers would suffice. The fact that "Arielle Popstar is also here" doesn't make it hot, in and of itself.

Although . . . you know, maybe it does! 😊

The Who would make me pay more attention to a potential response. 

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Interesting that in spite of quoting me, I didn't get a notification of you doing so.

Bug or feature? If you have me on "ignore", it could be a "feature"! 🙂

It's been a bit wonky today, I only got a search to work an hour ago - the indexing took all day.  So, I won't be surprised if some stuff is semi-borked. But if I notice a "trend" in something being borked, I'm going to try and be..what's the word..disciplined, and post about it in the Forums Feedback section!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The good news is our forum is slow enough overall where these things don't look quite as blaring in dark mode as they absolutely could. I just hopped over to a fairly active gaming forum that uses this same software. Woooo, it's so ugly with all that orange and yellow on every post.

Interestingly, I learned over there that the notifications are supposedly blockable by uBlock. I probably won't need to do that here, but over there? Moooost likely!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't think it would me -- most of us flit about so much. Knowing that you (for instance) had posted somewhere might make a difference.

For myself I tend to stick to the General Discussion thread only, though now with all the restrictions and thread closures, I might have to expand my horizons here or elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The Who would make me pay more attention to a potential response. 

I don't think it would me -- most of us flit about so much. Knowing that you (for instance) had posted somewhere might make a difference.

Unless there is a central location from which to see where people are, finding potential responses under construction could require significant effort. Finding existing posts is easy, as is finding the most recent posts from any individual. I see no personal value in paying more attention to less (possibly no) information.

I think Arielle is pointing out a shining example of the psychology at work in these new affordances. They are designed to increase engagement, to draw more of our attention.

Instituting forum guidelines to limit engagement seems at cross purposes with adding new mechanisms to promote it.

ETA: I should add that by "engagement", I mean "profit". If you think of it that way, it's more difficult to discern the reasoning behind anything that happens here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The fact that one can hide oneself mitigates the effect a lot. But, were I not able to do that, yes, this would impact on my posting here negatively.

I just unhid myself, for whatever impact that might have, from realizing that the content of my posts says a lot more about me then the when and where I might post it. What does privacy even mean when one divulges the most important facets of oneself on a board that anyone can read?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Unless there is a central location from which to see where people are, finding potential responses under construction could require significant effort. Finding existing posts is easy, as is finding the most recent posts from any individual. I see no personal value in paying more attention to less (possibly no) information.

https://community.secondlife.com/online/?filter=filter_loggedin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I hate when people don't have that options turned on in the viewer.  When chatting with someone in IM, I want to know that they're still there and responding.  In the forums?  It might only be useful to me in the Answers sections as often 2 people post the exact same thing.

When I see the "typing..." indicator, I always think, "TYPE FASTER"! 

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.