2 other users is also here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, I've already said that I announce my presence by posting a lot here. So, no, this isn't as intrusive as some other things might be.

Answer my question, though!

WHY do you need to know this? What value does it add to the forums that is outweighed by the passing on this information.

If you're NOT hidden, it's always been possible to see where you were looking or posting in the forums.  Now, it's just right there for everyone to see.

https://gyazo.com/14ba8386e3fd38c907f59cb5895f972e

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

Just now, Solar Legion said:

There is no need to come up with reasons for them to have the information as the information does not matter one whit. At all.

Yeah, this is more or less the answer I was expecting.

This whole thing smells of the "We can do it! Should we do it? WHO CARES! LET'S DO IT!" ethos that so often seems to underpin technological development. "Solutionism" is the word: let's devise a solution to a non-existent problem!

It doesn't matter to you, Solar. There is ample evidence here, now, that it does matter to others. And because it's so utterly unnecessary, that means that a number of people have been pissed off completely unnecessarily. That alone is one reason they shouldn't have done it. I see only negative impacts, no positive ones.

And you can tell us that we "shouldn't care" all you want -- it's not going to change that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, I've already said that I announce my presence by posting a lot here. So, no, this isn't as intrusive as some other things might be.

Answer my question, though!

WHY do you need to know this? What value does it add to the forums that is outweighed by the passing on this information.

Who said it was needed? Of course it's not a necessity. It's no more necessary than the need of a profile picture on these forums or space for a profound quote under it.

But it can help fulfil the curiosity of those who may be interested in comparing if a thread is popular more by those reading or engaging, I suppose.

Either way, I neither care, nor will pay much attention to it. But time marches on and things change. If you're going to choose to let it bother you so, then that's on you lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you're NOT hidden, it's always been possible to see where you were looking or posting in the forums.  Now, it's just right there for everyone to see.

https://gyazo.com/14ba8386e3fd38c907f59cb5895f972e

Yep, but you have to go to a profile to see that.

I find that feature unnecessarily obtrusive as well. And also the ability to see who has visited your profile.

Again, it hasn't kept me awake at nights. I just so no useful purpose in passing on information about my reading habits to anyone who wants them, for whatever reason.

• Like 2

Just now, HRH Andrew said:

It's no more necessary than the need of a profile picture on these forums or space for a profound quote under it.

No, a profile pic and quote are the way in which I consciously choose to present myself here. They are my decisions, and not generated by software.

So, yeah. Solutionism. Just a bit more personal information -- and what I choose to read is my personal information -- thrown out there for absolutely no good reason.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, this is more or less the answer I was expecting.

This whole thing smells of the "We can do it! Should we do it? WHO CARES! LET'S DO IT!" ethos that so often seems to underpin technological development. "Solutionism" is the word: let's devise a solution to a non-existent problem!

It doesn't matter to you, Solar. There is ample evidence here, now, that it does matter to others. And because it's so utterly unnecessary, that means that a number of people have been pissed off completely unnecessarily. That alone is one reason they shouldn't have done it. I see only negative impacts, no positive ones.

And you can tell us that we "shouldn't care" all you want -- it's not going to change that.

That's nice.

They still added the Leaderboard and Reputation Points as well. That's just two things from this iteration of the forum software I dislike/despise. "Followers" is another - this is a Forum, not Twitter or some such bunk. Oh yes and do not get me started on having an About section in the profiles that no one can even see.

Pardon me if I am not treating this the same way you (and anyone else) does.

A few are pissed off "completely unnecessarily"? Good.

Roll with it or don't.

Just stop making a mountain of a molehill.

ETA: Funnily enough, the "X is typing" bit is something I've seen elsewhere as well. While it could stand to be less highlighted ... it is not some big issue.

Edited by Solar Legion

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice.

They still added the Leaderboard and Reputation Points as well. That's just two things from this iteration of the forum software I dislike/despise. "Followers" is another - this is a Forum, not Twitter or some such bunk. Oh yes and do not get me started on having an About section in the profiles that no one can even see.

Pardon me if I am not treating this the same way you (and anyone else) does.

A few are pissed off "completely unnecessarily"? Good.

Roll with it or don't.

All of these features are elements in the attempted social engineering that social media algorithms are nearly always about. They are about manipulating us, through carrots and sticks, or by manipulating the information available to us, to increase engagement, and especially particular kinds of engagement that are viewed as beneficial to the platform.

This isn't new, Solar. It's the underpinning of the success of FB, Twitter, and Instagram.

And yes, it pisses me off. I don't like being "manipulated." Even if it's as minor and unexceptionable as what is occurring here.

• Like 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

No, a profile pic and quote are the way in which I consciously choose to present myself here. They are my decisions, and not generated by software.

So, yeah. Solutionism. Just a bit more personal information -- and what I choose to read is my personal information -- thrown out there for absolutely no good reason.

But they're not necessary though. They're just a feature.

And honestly, do you really think others are interested in what you're reading? 😂

If anyone is tracking what forum you're in, they'd have to be in there too, or on your profile, and they must have a very futile life.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

All of these features are elements in the attempted social engineering that social media algorithms are nearly always about. They are about manipulating us, through carrots and sticks, or by manipulating the information available to us, to increase engagement, and especially particular kinds of engagement that are viewed as beneficial to the platform.

This isn't new, Solar. It's the underpinning of the success of FB, Twitter, and Instagram.

And yes, it pisses me off. I don't like being "manipulated." Even if it's as minor and unexceptionable as what is occurring here.

Welcome to life. This has been happening since well before I was born, since well before my parents were born and so on.

Want it to stop? Change society or sterilize the planet.

Barring those? Do what you can. Complaining about this ... is absolutely a waste of time.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

Just now, HRH Andrew said:

But they're not necessary though. They're just a feature.

And honestly, do you really think others are interested in what you're reading? 😂

If anyone is tracking what forum you're in, they'd have to be in there too, or on your profile, and they must have a very futile life.

A feature that does what, Andrew? To what end? Why?

You don't need this information. I don't particularly want you to have easy access to it -- which is why I am no "hidden" -- because you don't need to know this stuff about me, even if you don't care to know it.

Welcome to life. This has been happening since well before I was born, since well before my parents were born and so on.

Want it to stop? Change society or sterilize the planet.

Barring those? Do what you can. Complaining about this ... is absolutely a waste of time.

Coming from someone who spends an awful lot of their time here complaining about people and their posts . . .

And yes, one of the points in highlighting this kind of idiocy when it happens is to "change society." We are being manipulated and surveilled, constantly. The fact that it happens isn't reason for me to be complacent about it. On the contrary.

Coming from someone who spends an awful lot of their time here complaining about people and their posts . . .

And yes, one of the points in highlighting this kind of idiocy when it happens is to "change society." We are being manipulated and surveilled, constantly. The fact that it happens isn't reason for me to be complacent about it. On the contrary.

1. I said nothing about being complacent
  2. No, that is not one of the points in highlighting this - there is no point, none

I'll nip further responses (if I can): I am not going to argue or go round and round.

I am well beyond that point on some topics these days.

Deal with this "feature" .... or don't. Just as I have to with the others I mentioned.

• Haha 1

Deal with this "feature" .... or don't.

I have! I'm hidden! And I'm talking about it so that others are more aware that they have that option too!

And I'm afraid that you are going to have to "deal with" the fact that some of us, myself included, don't like this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

1vo64z.jpg

Kinda the point, though.

Yes, this is not a big deal, because one can opt out of it.

But do you think that this is the kind of "increased engagement" that this new feature was probably designed to encourage? I'm thinking that, so far, this isn't working the way it is supposed to.

I have! I'm hidden! And I'm talking about it so that others are more aware that they have that option too!

And I'm afraid that you are going to have to "deal with" the fact that some of us, myself included, don't like this.

After the one or two information posts on how to hide, that was all the "awareness" that was needed.

If anyone else is still lost, they can ask or go looking.

That's fine by the by - you do not have to like it and no one said you did. Your complaint is right there, a bit back. For all to see.

If they change it - lovely. If not? Meh.

• Like 2

Kinda the point, though.

Yes, this is not a big deal, because one can opt out of it.

But do you think that this is the kind of "increased engagement" that this new feature was probably designed to encourage? I'm thinking that, so far, this isn't working the way it is supposed to.

No, it was actually NOT something LL knew about so...let's see what they do.  @Tommy Lindenmentioned in another thread, they're looking into it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.