Article in The Telegraph about Meta takes a SAVAGE swipe at Second Life!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have you guys read this recent article in the Telegraph about Meta and Mark Zuckerberg?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/08/03/walls-close-zuckerberg-executives-desert-meta/ (Archived version: https://archive.ph/RQ0lD#selection-1043.0-1043.416)

There's a scathing, absolutely SAVAGE paragraph on SL in it:

Zuckerberg’s company is sensitive to comparisons between the metaverse concept and Second Life, a mid-2000s internet-based multiplayer game memorably dubbed “Sadville” by technology website The Register. Sadville was the metaverse of its day: corporations such as Coca-Cola and IBM set up virtual offices within the game, convinced they had found the future of commerce. Fifteen years later, few remember Sadville.  

YEEOUCH! That's got to be one of the most dismissive things I've read about SL in the mainstream media for quite a while. Pretty funny for something that still makes millions of dollars a year for its parent company, 19 years after its founding. (Fun fact: did you know that the same Waterfield investment group that now owns Second Life also owns blue-chip investment firm Goldman Sachs? Check out the “Waterfield Network” listing of companies at the bottom of that last link.)

Telegraph.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

did you know that the same Waterfield investment group that now owns Second Life also owns blue-chip investment firm Goldman Sachs?

No, had not connected the dots. Goldman Sachs is owned by a large number of institutional investors, of which Waterfield may be included.

The reference to Second Life as "sadville" is in the context of use by corporations as a workplace. May not be far from the mark. Yet it is clear that the reporters did no research into the current state of Linden Research.

About the ownershiip of Linden Research,  it is described as "an investment group led by Randy Waterfield and Brad Oberwager".  Is this a side-hustle for Randy? If Waterfield Group is the owner, I would except Linden Research to disclose that. Also, because Linden Research is private, they do not report their financials publicly, so we don't know anything about "making millions".

Edited by diamond Marchant
usual typos
  • Like 6

It has been Meta's aim and goal from the beginning to be THE Metaverse, and in their own words "to discourage competition and if possible make sure they don't even get started", and their words back up their actions so far, so not a surprise.

Meta is not our friend, nor anyone's friend. What Zuckerberg wants is everyone on his version 'working, living, and playing' there. Yuck.

Also, they are drawing attention from the FTC now.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, diamond Marchant said:

Yet it is clear that the reporters did no research into the current state of Linden Research.

Did precious little into the state of Meta either, his job for the day was to throw some rocks at Nick Clegg (a political enemy) and then make up some rambling vague negativity about Meta and he had to go back years to find enough material to cover the "trouble at the top" narrative, even then couching it all in phrases like "some suggest".

The author of this particular piece (Gareth Corfield) has also written extensively for The Register, who have been calling Second Life Sadville relentlessly since the start. He doesn't seem to be aware we still exist.

• Like 5

The nice thing about the media nowadays is, it will be history tomorrow and most everyone will move onto something else..

I'm so used to the media being childish. They just don't have that stick to the wall and stay stuck there kind of glue anymore. Not unless a movie star is involved.. hehehehe

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The more insulting it is, the more it is probably because they see us as valid competition.  To be ignored completely would be worse.

Only we're referred to in the past tense so I don't think we're seen as a valid anything .. Second Life is presumed a long dead relic, someone probably has a copy of us on zip disk somewhere.

Whatever it is LL marketing do between SLB events, maybe they can fit "not dead" into the messaging somewhere.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The author of this particular piece (Gareth Corfield) has also written extensively for The Register, who have been calling Second Life Sadville relentlessly since the start. He doesn't seem to be aware we still exist.

Aah, I did not know this! Interesting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

No, had not connected the dots. Goldman Sachs is owned by a large number of institutional investors, of which Waterfield may be included.

What the heck is this "Goldman Sachs" compared to the publicly traded company, ticker GS on NYSE? I feel like the "Waterfield Network" is as much about who invests in Waterfield as the other way around.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Only we're referred to in the past tense so I don't think we're seen as a valid anything .. Second Life is presumed a long dead relic, someone probably has a copy of us on zip disk somewhere.

Whatever it is LL marketing do between SLB events, maybe they can fit "not dead" into the messaging somewhere.

I suppose since "Sadville" is a pretty strong insult - if I were Linden Labs, then hopefully I would work on a press release as a response. To set the record straight.

We ain't Sad!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suppose since "Sadville" is a pretty strong insult - if I were Linden Labs, then hopefully I would work on a press release as a response. To set the record straight.

We ain't Sad!

I think they should run with it full bore.

Second Life - Taking your sadness and making it virtual.

2 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

never heard of it. 

It was a pretty big new source back when slashdot and second life were around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

What the heck is this "Goldman Sachs" compared to the publicly traded company, ticker GS on NYSE? I feel like the "Waterfield Network" is as much about who invests in Waterfield as the other way around.

The OP mentioned Goldman. Not sure why.  Further research (assuming the source is reliable) reveals that some part of Waterfield does own Linden Research, although the source calls it Linden Lab. So Randy's stake is not a side-hustle. The confusing part is that the press release announcing the 2020 acquisition refers to "an investment group led by Randy Waterfield and Brad Oberwager". I cannot find anything that suggests Brad works for Waterfield. It is worth noting that High Fidelity is also an investor, as discussed in High Fidelity Invests in Second Life.

Inara Pey reports the ownership situation as "Brad Oberwager is one of the three investors who acquired Linden Lab in 2020, together with J. Randall (Randy) Waterfield and Raj Date"

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If the megabuck names mentioned do ultimately own SL then its present and future is secured by virtue of it being a tax right off dead loss i'd guess .

"invest" 50 million today to balance the books for the tax man and take it out again tomorrow when the books are stamped and sealed for another year .

Edited by cunomar

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Bit of Sadville going on right now with the Forum changes so maybe best to wait till it blows over 😢

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.