James Webb Space Telescope - First images coming tomorrow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From Nasa

This landscape of “mountains” and “valleys” speckled with glittering stars is actually the edge of a nearby, young, star-forming region called NGC 3324 in the Carina Nebula. Captured in infrared light by NASA’s new James Webb Space Telescope, this image reveals for the first time previously invisible areas of star birth.

A photographer might call this "the money shot".

main_image_star-forming_region_carina_nircam_1920.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
money shot
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

That was so exciting!  The Carina Nebula image makes for a great desktop background image, though I'm sure that was not the first thing on their minds. :) 

I am interested to see if the "Horsehead Nebula" looks much different. (Sorry if that was published already and I missed it.)

I was watching the NASA TV, where they were letting people ask questions..

I got distracted right at the start because, they have everyone wearing masks in the room..

The first guy that gets the mic that everyone that will be asking a question will be using,  puts the mic 2 inches from his mouth and pulls his mask down..

Sorry, I just had to say something, because that just irritates me to no end..

7 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Even our view of the Sun is an illusion of time. Everytime you see the Sun, that's what it looked like eight and a half minutes ago, as it's light takes that long to reach us. from a mere 93 million miles away.

At the moment the Sun dips below the horizon at sunset, the Sun had actually set eight and a half minutes before you saw it do so.  And at sunrise, had already risen eight and a half minutes before dawn!

Years ago, our local amateur astronomy club built a scale model of the Solar System using household objects. The Sun was a bowling ball and Earth was a spherical blue cake sprinkle, 76 feet away. We installed the model in local public parks and invited children to be photons. Starting from the Sun, and heading to Earth, we routinely had to yell "slow down, you're breaking the speed limit!". I don't think we ever found a kid who was willing to take one minute, let alone eight, to reach that sprinkle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Years ago, our local amateur astronomy club built a scale model of the Solar System using household objects.

I have a scale model of the inner solar system here http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Blung/180/108/3801

It would be fun to put in an animation that demonstrates the speed of light 🙂

solar system model.png

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 8:59 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I had to look it up.  I'm not sure what the larger "diffraction spikes" in the newer photographs accomplish, besides being pretty.  Since according to the explanation, it is more "artifacts" than anything..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_spike

I was watching some nasa videos today and other videos of people talking about the images..

They were saying the ones that are causing the spiking in these images are stars from our galaxy.. 

I just thought that was kind of neat because in a way it helped put even more depth into the images for me..

Also when they went into detail about what is going on with the nebula and the kind of clean edge and  holes and detail in the cloud.. They were saying that is caused by the stars turning on in the nebula..

Then them finding a massive black hole..

Just these few shots and how much came from them is amazing.

I can't wait to see more..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Expanding universe.

View of "far side", even farther away than "center".

Al dente, please.

Hehe yes I know but none of my friends understand when I try to explain nor do they understand if you were to somehow manage to orbit 2 orbiting supermassive black holes you would come around before you ever left….

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Finite said:

Hehe yes I know but none of my friends understand when I try to explain nor do they understand if you were to somehow manage to orbit 2 orbiting supermassive black holes you would come around before you ever left….

When you got round, you'd be able to make the sandwiches that you wished you'd made before you set off, so you wouldn't get hungry on the first trip round.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.