James Webb Space Telescope - First images coming tomorrow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

A sneak peek was revealed today (July 11).

Hell ya! I can’t wait for all the docus that come from Webb. Gimme some more Degrasse-Tyson, Michio Kaku and Brian Green please.

“This slice of the vast universe covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground,” 

woah-mind-blown.jpg

• Like 2

Look how some of those central galaxies seem to have been bent, stretched and warped.  This is caused by the gravitational forces warping space-time itself, along with the light travelling from these distant galaxies.

Then consider that the light from these galaxies has taken over 13 billion years to reach us, at a speed of 671 million miles per hour.  Many of those galaxies are so old and so far, far away that they may not even exist any longer.  The JWST is literally a time machine that looks back in time almost to the Big Bang.

Everything in that image could be hidden behind the tip of a needle held out at arms length.  Consider all that other "empty space" too.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 3

Pop-science magazine Scientific American released a little interview and a schematic indicating how deep (in space and time) the JWST can gaze:

image.thumb.png.e2c63c517abc97ab1a41cb1bbf61432d.png

Here's the whole vid.

It basically implies that they can see so far back with it., that at some point, the galaxies and starts stop, as if you're looking at the edge of the universe. Imagine zooming in and seeing more and more galaxies, until at some magnification, it suddenly stops. That's pretty profound, imho.

I'm also really curious whether (i) they already were able to see the first, 'low-metallicity' stars,  (ii) what chemicals they were able to detect in exoplanet atmospheres, and (iii) whether they were able to explain the discrepancy between the age of the universe determined by measuring redshifts and distances of galaxies on the one hand and by measuring temperature distributions in the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation on the other.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 6

Even our view of the Sun is an illusion of time. Everytime you see the Sun, that's what it looked like eight and a half minutes ago, as it's light takes that long to reach us. from a mere 93 million miles away.

At the moment the Sun dips below the horizon at sunset, the Sun had actually set eight and a half minutes before you saw it do so.  And at sunrise, had already risen eight and a half minutes before dawn!

• Like 3

A lot of the stuff in the pic are much nearer than the telescope is capable of, of course. It would be interesting to see the same pic but with the stuff that's also in the Hubble pic removed. That would show the stuff that the JW can resolve that we previously couldn't resolve/detect.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3

The difference between the Hubble and JWST is the much larger mirror size, the fact JWST has infra red heat detection abilities and is cooled to temperatures so cold that JWST could detect the warmth of a single bee flying above the Moon's surface if it were possible.

Hubble has a smaller mirror, does not have infra red detection and is encased by a big shiny metal tube that gets warmed up every time the Sun shines on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Even our view of the Sun is an illusion of time. Everytime you see the Sun, that's what it looked like eight and a half minutes ago, as it's light takes that long to reach us. from a mere 93 million miles away.

At the moment the Sun dips below the horizon at sunset, the Sun had actually set eight and a half minutes before you saw it.  And at sunrise, had already risen eight and a half minutes before dawn!

Sneaky!  So it's peeking at us for eight and half minutes before we know it. :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Well, no - because likewise it will take the same amount of time for light to bounce back from earth to the sun, so from the sun's perspective you'd see the rotation and position of the earth as it was 8.5 minutes ago.

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

adding on to the above... the universe is dusty and dust can be transparent to infrared, hence JWST sees objects that are obscured to Hubble. I have heard that SMACS 0723 has a great BBQ joint.

smacs 0723.png

I had to look it up.  I'm not sure what the larger "diffraction spikes" in the newer photographs accomplish, besides being pretty.  Since according to the explanation, it is more "artifacts" than anything..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_spike

The "diffraction spikes" are caused by James Webb's six-sided mirrors.  Notice that Hubble's image has no such spikes because Hubble's mirror is round

Sadly, James Webb's overall mirror diameter was too big to have been made circular,  so instead it was made as a mosaic of sixteen separate hexagonal mirrors that could be foldered up for launching inside the rocket's nosecone fairing.  

2 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Well, no - because likewise it will take the same amount of time for light to bounce back from earth to the sun, so from the sun's perspective you'd see the rotation and position of the earth as it was 8.5 minutes ago.

Thank you for clarifying that in case I confused anyone in my bid to make a joke. :D 

4 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Pop-science magazine Scientific American released a little interview and a schematic indicating how deep (in space and time) the JWST can gaze:

image.thumb.png.e2c63c517abc97ab1a41cb1bbf61432d.png

Here's the whole vid.

It basically implies that they can see so far back with it., that at some point, the galaxies and starts stop, as if you're looking at the edge of the universe. Imagine zooming in and seeing more and more galaxies, until at some magnification, it suddenly stops. That's pretty profound, imho.

I'm also really curious whether (i) they already were able to see the first, 'low-metallicity' stars,  (ii) what chemicals they were able to detect in exoplanet atmospheres, and (iii) whether they were able to explain the discrepancy between the age of the universe determined by measuring redshifts and distances of galaxies on the one hand and by measuring temperature distributions in the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation on the other.

Lazy scientists, should have held out for a Big Bang telescope.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.