So what do you all think to the Premium Plus package?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

This is a bad assumption.  There are certain types of services and elements of products that qualify a fee to have VAT levied upon it.  I will spare everyone from going down that rabbit hole because it is safer we if do not as we are not the taxation legal counsel involved in such decisions.  😁

I don't need to know why, it's no VAT to pay and that's good enough for me! 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Patch Linden said:

This is a bad assumption.  There are certain types of services and elements of products that qualify a fee to have VAT levied upon it.  I will spare everyone from going down that rabbit hole because it is safer we if do not as we are not the taxation legal counsel involved in such decisions.  😁

Good to know about the tax thing, and when is premium plus going to be live so we can upgrade?

Edited by Aria Aurelia
  • Like 3

Well, I'm glad so many people were willing to do the math for me on this!  I don't think I will bother with PP.  Maybe I might change my mind once they introduce the big Linden homes, but for now I am sticking to my 2 premium accounts.  It doesn't sound like the "double the stuff for less than double the price" hype was calculated accurately.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Kind of a tangent, but: The beta grid is inconvenient, and I only use it to explore new features while they're only available there, or very rarely to upload a mesh model Too Many Times to get a reasonable result because I suck at Blender. For texture uploads, though, it's pretty great using "Local" textures, available on the Linden viewer as well as the usual TPV suspects. Maybe everybody does, but I used to put it off, thinking it was penny-pinching and time is money, so I'd just upload until I got a lucky result, but it's actually time-saving to use Local textures, which can update themselves automagically when I save a new version to my PC's disk. I find this a real win especially when working on a fussy BoM alpha mask, for example, which can take me a half dozen tries to get "perfect".

It means going to a place, I forget what you have to do exactly, probably enable other grids on the preferences somewhere, then go to that place, which gives you free money which is why it is free. While it has the same sims, or similar sims, I seem to recall it has no build on it, correct?

Then you put out the thing you are trying to texture, then make different textures or merge them or whatever or use a map until you get it right on the thing. Then you know that texture will work and avoid the trial and error fees. What could be more reasonable?

Except it's not convenient. Maybe it's just psychological. I'd rather be in my actual workshop and doing it with "real" or rather "actual" things. 

I would still have to spend on signs, photos for rentals that need to be constantly updated, various simple things in world like a giver -- which I wouldn't go and test on the beta grid every time -- so I think it will still be worth it. 

So for texture uploads alone, and even groups, in order to get shopping discounts, the PP is worth it, in my view. It won't exactly pay for itself with those boons, plus the extra 1024, I think, which it is worth considering. I'd have to literally count the uploads and groups and see if it adds up to paying for itself.

It might be become burdensome and then it would be a shame to have lost the $500 grandfathered stipend over it, but since that doesn't cover the cost of a regular premium any more, it's not that terrible. But you would have to take that risk because it doesn't make sense to put it on an alt not associated with your business.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Well, I'm glad so many people were willing to do the math for me on this!  I don't think I will bother with PP.  Maybe I might change my mind once they introduce the big Linden homes, but for now I am sticking to my 2 premium accounts.  It doesn't sound like the "double the stuff for less than double the price" hype was calculated accurately.

So if you pay buy the month, it is $18 more after the first introductory month at $29.99, correct? So that means you would pay US $4 more for another 1024 tier on the regular premium; then perhaps there are 10 sales groups, each with a $250L fee, that's  US $10, then let's say you made 1,000 uploads at 10L a piece, then you reach the US $18. Except the next month, you don't need to pay the group fee. And if you downgrade, all the extra groups you put in above 70 would automatically be deleted and you'd also lose that 1024 tier.

I guess the Lindens will see if it sticks. I think psychologically, not paying upload fees or even group fees, and having more groups and even the tier will feel like such a relief from the drumbeat of a thousand tiny cuts in SL draining away your cash, that people will like it and not go back. I hope it will encourage them to create more and get more land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

All these "square meters" are confusing.  Can we go back to "acres", or "hectares"?

Hectares are metric. It's 100 ares, which are 10 x 10 meters. 1 hectare is 100 x 100 meters, or 10,000 sqm. Or 1/6.5536 regions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:
2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

All these "square meters" are confusing.  Can we go back to "acres", or "hectares"?

Hectares are metric. It's 100 ares, which are 10 x 10 meters. 1 hectare is 100 x 100 meters, or 10,000 sqm. Or 1/6.5536 regions. 

There ya go! SL could easily create a Hectare Tier!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I only do transcripts of these as it's easier to follow those.

Linens don't do transcripts any more. At least none I have seen in the last few years.

But, they will make a formal announcement here on the website.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

In the UK at least VAT isn't charged on an annual premium membership, 

https://secondlife.com/corporate/vat?lang=en

It would seem other countries don't get charged either on annual plans

What are the items for which Linden Lab doesn't charge VAT?

Transactions in L$ between individual Residents are not subject to VAT. Linden Lab does not charge VAT for Annual Premium Membership subscriptions

Annoyingly this page is still out of date, it says:  "Currently, only Residents who live in the European Union are charged VAT."

The UK is obviously no longer part of the EU and hasn't been for years now, but of course VAT is still applicable to residents of the UK. (Rightly or wrongly - a discussion for another topic) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Exavor Diesel said:

Annoyingly this page is still out of date, it says:  "Currently, only Residents who live in the European Union are charged VAT."

The UK is obviously no longer part of the EU and hasn't been for years now, but of course VAT is still applicable to residents of the UK. (Rightly or wrongly - a discussion for another topic) 

what, we (the uk) left the eu in 2020 but anyway...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Exavor Diesel said:

In Norway, we voted no to EU twice and never joined. But who pays VAT? We do! 😡

It just isn't fair. 😪 All bureaucrats are evil.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's a minor and, in most scenarios, irrelevant point for those who are used to how this works, but for those who haven't tried it before: It's been said or implied a few times on this thread that the 10% m2 bonus for group-owned land only applies if two or more accounts are involved in contributing m2 to the group that owns the land. This is not the case. You can be the sole contributor of m2 to a group and still get the 10% bonus. I'm doing that right now on my free 1024 m2, for a mainland parcel that is 1120 m2. 

Obviously there are overall-cost-based reasons to have multiple premium accounts contributing, and those have been discussed here at length, but the assumption that multiple contributing accounts are required is incorrect. You can take advantage of that bonus even with a single premium account.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

While sloping around the video, hunting for this fee waiver, I stumbled on something that Patch seems to have gotten wrong, which I see Inara also notes: Around 28:28, Saffia seems to ask about an increase to three animesh attachments, and Patch says it will go from one to two, but regular Premium accounts already get two animesh attachments, and this is actually a way to tell whether an avatar is Premium or not. If it goes to three, then we'll be able to tell who's gone Plus, too.

Did you forget about OBJECT_ACCOUNT_LEVEL? 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

1. The "choose your Linden Home" thing might have an unintended consequence: It could make "Game of Homes"  futile for non-Plus subscribers because only the dregs will be left after the Plussers have snarfed up anything good. Even for regular Premiums like me who don't play "GoH", if Plus turns out to be popular for some reason, it could make Bellisseria a marginally less appealing place with the only available plots being those pre-rejected by Plussers

yes that

only way I can see this working is if those who want to pre-select homes have to pay some fairly substantial fee for the privilege, on top of their Plus subscription. A non-refundable fee should the home be subsequently abandoned

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.