What is the purpose of life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thank you, everybody, for responding to that.

I guess I found the answer tied to my subject..
It is in a Movie called "Soul" by Disney and Pixar.
I watched that movie during the lock down. After watching the movie, I apologize to everyone I inadvertently hurt.
However, this is still not the right answer or the exact answer to my question. Because God (our Creator) has not told me that about life and that is never going to happen with me.
So I am just assuming from the movie a purpose of life. 

Answer : "I'm not sure, but I do know, but I am gonna live each minute of it". 

The truth is, every person you meet chooses to live life each day for different reasons.

Your life might seem meaningless to you, because you are waiting to be given meaning, but the truth is the only person who can give meaning to your life is you.

My advice would be to soul search and think about what and who is important to you, and how you can protect and contribute towards those things and people. Sometimes that means you need to grow as a person and learn new skills or become stronger to get along with yourself. In my opinion, having a sense of purpose.. duty, like you're a part of your world and help it spin around will bring infinitely more satisfaction than the quick dopamine hit of consuming goods etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The purpose of life is hydrogenate carbon dioxide. It's basically a way to consume energy to increase the entropy of the universe. There’s no reaction that goes directly from CO2 and hydrogen to methane (CH4) and water. The first steps consume energy rather than release energy. The purpose of life is to release energy in carbon dioxide. See Free Energy and the Meaning of Life:

image.png.21580ef51f8b17fd1b17f27a732a2094.png.

You might narrow the question and ask what is the purpose of YOUR life, instead of life in general. The purpose of your life is to propagate your genetic material, or the closest material to your genetic material, into the next generation. That is why the sex drive is second in power only to the drive for self-preservation.

Edited by Randall Ahren
Correct typo.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

The purpose of life is hydrogenate carbon dioxide. It's basically a way to consume energy to increase the entropy of the universe. There’s no reaction that goes directly from CO2 and hydrogen to methane (CH4) and water. The first steps consume energy rather than release energy. The purpose of life is to release energy in carbon dioxide. See Free Energy and the Meaning of Life:

image.png.21580ef51f8b17fd1b17f27a732a2094.png.

You might narrow the question and ask what is the purpose of YOUR life, inside of life in general. The purpose of your life is to propagate your genetic material, or the closest material to your genetic material, into the next generation. That is why the sex drive is second in power only to the drive for self-preservation.

I'm no 'believer' but this seems to be by design 

Well, God did tell us what we're here for, but you've said that's not true, and you're never going to listen anyway - your words were "that is never going to happen with me".  So, are you really asking?  If you are, then ask God.  Simply and genuinely, and don't demand an answer right away.  I mean, it's you talking to the Creator of Everything, after all.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Typo.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The purpose of life is life. It's entirely circular, self serving and will last as long as it lasts.

The meaning of your life .. well that's something you have to work out on your own.

The purpose of life is very subjective. You gotta make life your own and live it how you want to live it. 

13 hours ago, THEHERO Snowfall said:

Today, as I sat at my desk, I contemplate life and one of its biggest question. What is the purpose of life and why were we born. Why live if we know it is only going to end one day,by some form of death.

Some examples on why I believe we live

A. We only live to work so we may make money then inevitably die.
B.We are living to learn all we can only to die and take that knowledge with us.
C.We are merely living for our family, whether our biological family or those we choose as our family, then we die.
D. We live only to struggle our whole life then die. 

I want to know why, I am unable to truly define the meaning. Our creator, whatever god you choose to believe in, does not give us the answer to this question. Why would he not tell us why he made our life seemingly so short and limited. It seems maybe someone is toying with our lives, with us.

Do you perhaps know an answer? I would love to hear your opinions on this question.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

sometimes i feel like ive volunteered to come to earth for some sort of mission.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

sometimes i feel like ive volunteered to come to earth for some sort of mission.

A mission that a) you wish you had never volunteered for and b) you wonder why you ever volunteered in the first place because it was doomed to fail no matter what you said or did?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

A mission that a) you wish you had never volunteered for and b) you wonder why you ever volunteered in the first place because it was doomed to fail no matter what you said or did?

seems like something i would have.. but the purpose of life umm according to the astroaliensurvivalists we are some sort of bio mechnical tool (used for mining the planet) and remotely controlled by the creator. which when i read that seems silly.

a down to earth description of purpose of life is guess personal to each person. 42 was likely an error code.

Edited by Paulsian
  • Like 2

THE SHORTER CATECHISM

The Westminster Shorter Catechism was completed in 1647 by the Westminster Assembly and continues to serve as part of the doctrinal standards of many Presbyterian churches. The biblical proof texts included in this edition are those prepared by a special committee of the General Assembly of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church in 1978.

Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?

A. Man’s chief end is to glorify God, [a] and to enjoy him for ever. [b]

[a]. Ps. 86:9; Isa. 60:21; Rom. 11:36; 1 Cor. 6:20; 10:31; Rev.
4:11
[b]. Ps. 16:5-11; 144:15; Isa. 12:2; Luke 2:10; Phil. 4:4; Rev.
21:3-4

Solved.

• Haha 1

Wow... a discussion on the meaning-purpose of life and no one is into the science, psychology, or philosophy that attempts to answer that question been hammered out over the last ~7k years. Just personal opinions. What does that say about this group?

42 is a reference to the humorous joke framing Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. That at least suggests we have a couple of readers in the group.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

42 is a reference to the humorous joke framing Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. That at least suggests we have a couple of readers in the group.

I for one, choose not to share the meaning of life that I follow (from philosophy). Most people see things differently. That's why I'm kind of quiet in this thread. 

Anyway, in college Science Fiction class, the annoying professor interpreted "42" as things such as, "how many roads must a man walk down", etc. instead of the annoyingly obvious meanings.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.