What was the name of the "New" virtual world from Linden Labs, that "split off"? What happened to it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I searched the forums this morning, but failed to find..

There used to be a category something like, "XXXX for Second Life users" - for the program that everyone was afraid would "replace" Second Life.

What was that called again?

What happened to it?

I was gone for a minute so may have missed it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I searched the forums this morning, but failed to find..

There used to be a category something like, "XXXX for Second Life users" - for the program that everyone was afraid would "replace" Second Life.

What was that called again?

What happened to it?

I was gone for a minute so may have missed it.

Sansar and here is what happened: https://www.sansar.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yup

A whole PG virtual world for an imagined demographic that specifically wasn't us and who turned out not to exist.

Sansar is dead now, they let all the staff go, some events still happen and get streamed to twitch .. and it's just sad. Typically you get the DJ, the DJ's friend and maybe one other person.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Well that's a shame.
The whole VR thing scared me off completely.
The avis were also a bit too cartoonish from memory.
It's a wonder the big Z hasn't bought it and NFT'd its widdle pixels off.
MetaSar - doesnt sound tooo bad. 
What else could he call it?
MetaSan FungiTokin? Might go well in Japan perhaps. 🤭😋 

1 hour ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Well that's a shame.
The whole VR thing scared me off completely.
The avis were also a bit too cartoonish from memory.
It's a wonder the big Z hasn't bought it and NFT'd its widdle pixels off.
MetaSar - doesnt sound tooo bad. 
What else could he call it?
MetaSan FungiTokin? Might go well in Japan perhaps. 🤭😋 

I even forgot that the point of it was VR! 😹 Maybe the new meta-whatever VR competition will spur something. Or not.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

staff is on furlong,  they are running everything in an instance currently with aws (read this in their discord server when sansar went down payment failure),  as others have said they are doing events, but it's got very very low concurrency.

Assuming you mean "furlough", that's sad for them. 

If "furlong", then cool! Maybe wishes are finally horses!

Just for a moment try to imagine where SL could stand at the moment if all those effords would have been put in the repairs and further enhancement of the usability of our beloved world. 
Kind of makes me sad.
We as consumers payed and are probably still paying to recoup from the losses from the Sansar project and got nothing more out of it than 35 shades of water and skies, and a 360 degrees picture possibility.

🤐

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Just for a moment try to imagine where SL could stand at the moment if all those effords would have been put in the repairs and further enhancement of the usability of our beloved world. 
Kind of makes me sad.
We as consumers payed and are probably still paying to recoup from the losses from the Sansar project and got nothing more out of it than 35 shades of water and skies, and a 360 degrees picture possibility.

🤐

But..but.."excuses"!

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Kind of makes me sad.

🤐

I agree Sid. Second Life was in 2006 already far more interesting than Sansar ever has been.
Sansar was a shame and a complete waste of money.

• Like 2

Totally agree Sid. I'm guessing (from experience) that the labs is looking to diversify their income stream because they have reservations about how SL will perform in the years to come. Unfortunately for them, Sansar backfired and never gained any traction.

9 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

For what it's worth (which isn't much), Steam only tracks players who are accessing a game directly through Steam. Sansar at least used to be (only) available outside of Steam, so the majority of people would probably not show up on Steam's stats.

It's not just low numbers on Steam, it's low numbers PERIOD. And not just low numbers, but EMBARASSINGLY low numbers. Wookey basically bought a pared-down version of SL from Linden Labs, who themselves were then sold to an investment group. The ongoing pay dispute and the fact that they can't pay their employees seems like a *tad* bit of a problem too, you know, apart from the empty game. I've got plenty of criticism for SL but yikes, that's on another level there.

Edited by Tormented Twilight
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Chase01 said:

Totally agree Sid. I'm guessing (from experience) that the labs is looking to diversify their income stream because they have reservations about how SL will perform in the years to come. Unfortunately for them, Sansar backfired and never gained any traction.

They have been worried about this since the start.

But hey, another year, another birthday celebration .. maybe this is the year they decide to actually invest in expanding and modernizing the platform for the users they have and not predicating everything on a need to show growth or attract new and entirely boring people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Kind of makes me sad.

🤐

Yes, it's sad that Sansar didn't work out, but on the other hand it was a learning experience for Linden Lab. They learned that pretty graphics and VR goggles weren't enough to float a new platform. They learned that controlling the look of avatars to such a high degree didn't encourage users to stay. I'm sure they learned a bunch of technical experience, as well as what people don't want from a virtual world. They were able to sell it off and get some money out of it before it completely tanked. And they were able to retain a few (most?) of the skilled employees who went to work on that project.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Yes, it's sad that Sansar didn't work out, but on the other hand it was a learning experience for Linden Lab. They learned that pretty graphics and VR goggles weren't enough to float a new platform. They learned that controlling the look of avatars to such a high degree didn't encourage users to stay. I'm sure they learned a bunch of technical experience, as well as what people don't want from a virtual world. They were able to sell it off and get some money out of it before it completely tanked. And they were able to retain a few (most?) of the skilled employees who went to work on that project.

That's why we still have these 'great' features after 19 years in the business? :
- Group chat:  Please on Discord, ours is as good as broken beyond repair.
- Building tools
: Please on Blender and a good paint program, ours is never updated since the stone age of SL.
- Friends requests: Please use E-mail or Discord first to be sure that both are online otherwise it fails.
- Dress up an avatar: Please follow classes, beg on the forums for information, use hours of your time. Each and every creator does what he/she thinks is best.
- Bellisseria: Please refrain from rezzing anything because otherwise the sims lag out till goes no more. Look at the beautiful themes, don't try to live in them. At least not with the official browser (Catznip does a lot better).

So somehow we did not benefit from Sansar at all except maybe:
- Tillia: charges more than in the past for everything.
- Sales taxes no longer included for US citizens. Pay up like the Europeans do.

And to look a the bright side, we got:
- More land impact on a parcel and sim
- light settings change every parcel border one crosses
- 35 shades of water and skies.

Don't color me impressed about what we as long term users got out of it during the last decade.
SL isn't exactly cheap for us users, the progress made is poor considering the money that they rake in.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.