are Newbrooke 1024 homes completely sold out?

Teresa Firelight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The 512's has too low Li for me. The campers are small enough, but the Newbrooke 512's are bigger than the Trads.

I can't see how I can fill them up with so much clutter as I like. No wonder that the 1024 m parcels are so popular. The combination of a small(-ish) house and a big garden is nice.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Back to topic... I took a trip in one of the unreleased regions because I wanted to see if I should try to furnish another house version. It is surprisingly many 512's in the regions.

I think LL overestimated the number of people who want to deed some land to a group, or who need a small piece of land for commercial use.

Who really does that? The stores I know of is on much larger land than 512 m. So if the store owners want a Bellisseria house for their home, it is no point in taking a 512 m.

I am sure some can name a store owner who has a 512 m Mainland store, but one does not matter much.

I have also seen that Campers is frequently on the Land page. They are seldom sold out like Houseboats, Victorians and Silts. What the Campers have, is the best landscaping in Bellisseria. Original and natural. So I think more people want them for the surroundings, not because they need a 512 m home.

I think LL should cool it with the 512's if the plans allow it. I believe the regions are premade, but can they not use more of the regions they have, with only 1024 m plots?

1024's is clearly what the majority of people want.

Something that may be overlooked is the large number of premium accounts that still have homes in the old Linden Home regions.  All of those are 512.  Some people obviously prefer living there, but many may only have 512 available, and weren't swayed by the campers, or aren't aware that Bellisseria exists...yet  

There has been ongoing discussion regarding what is to become of those regions.  If they are ever phased out, or at least reduced to a single landmass, then those residents may need 512 options.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

And I didn't say I didn’t like the linden homes because I *do* however I just wish they would give us more prim to work with.

If you are struggling with the 351 Li of Bellisseria there are double prim 1024's that exist. For the reasonable price of up to L$638/sqm you can buy a lot in Horizons, if you use one of the optional house's the double Li may just be enough to Rez all your high Li furnishings. Nautilus City is double Li too the most reasonably priced lots are just under L$100/sqm however you'll have to factor in the Li of the property you use

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

If you are struggling with the 351 Li of Bellisseria there are double prim 1024's that exist. For the reasonable price of up to L$638/sqm you can buy a lot in Horizons, if you use one of the optional house's the double Li may just be enough to Rez all your high Li furnishings. Nautilus City is double Li too the most reasonably priced lots are just under L$100/sqm however you'll have to factor in the Li of the property you use

I would rather not rent as I cannot afford to do so and have premium.. 

1 minute ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

I would rather not rent as I cannot afford to do so and have premium.. 

Those are buy in prices per square metre and would stay with in the included tier allowance as long as you don't own any other land. You might just have a heart attack if you looked up on the Lindex how much RL coin you'd have to part with to buy enough L$ to own such land

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

I mean think about it- one way or another these are generated by some sort of computer, yes? I don’t see why they can’t just change the numbers in the coding. 

They can, but if you want more LI (prims) per parcel without losing the mole landscaping and homes that Linden Homes now have, then LL would need to up the number of prims per region.  Prims correspond to processing power and computer storage space, which LL pays Amazon for.  So, higher LI regions would cost LL more to run, therefore the price per parcel (ultimately, the price of premium) would have to go up. 

Of course, if Amazon decided to charge less for their servers, that would also allow LL to allocate more resources to regions.  Please do not start holding your breath for that to happen.

TANSTAAFL.

• Like 4

I found a mesh carpet in my inventory that had a 22 Land Impact. There is no way that is a good mesh. I made a mesh acorn once that also had a stupidly high Land Impact. One person can make a mesh item with a bunch of individual pieces, each piece with a bunch of individual 1024 x1024 textures on it. Another person could make a similar item from one mesh piece with just a few individual textures on it. It's much the same problem that we had with hair a few years back, when each bunch of hair had it's own resize and recolor scripts inside it and the hair itself was No Modify, so we couldn't take out those scripts. Nobody wants to wear hair like that now, no matter how good it might have looked. Creators either learn to make good-looking, well-performing items that don't lag their customers, or they move out of the way and let other creators sell more efficient, more profitable products.

We consumers of these virtual products will then either buy and use lower impact virtual stuff, live with less virtual stuff, or we'll shell out the RL money required to keep a big pixel house full of pretty, highly detailed pixel items. 

Your world, your choices.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

I mean think about it- one way or another these are generated by some sort of computer, yes? I don’t see why they can’t just change the numbers in the coding.

And it is highly likely that you never will 'see why'.  Don't blame yourself for being ignorant about the underlying technology.  It is not your specialty and you have not had decades of working in that industry.  And it would take far too long to explain the full guts of it all.

However, that is why you have to trust the folks that do understand this stuff.  It most definitely is not as easy as "just changing some numbers in the code".

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Those are buy in prices per square metre and would stay with in the included tier allowance as long as you don't own any other land. You might just have a heart attack if you looked up on the Lindex how much RL coin you'd have to part with to buy enough L$ to own such land

If they've done this before on mainland, this just proves they have the capabilities of doing it again. The question is why they won't?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

If they've done this before on mainland, this just proves they have the capabilities of doing it again. The question is why they won't?

Business. Second Life is a business. Linden Homes were intended to be "starter" homes. If they give you more LI then you are less likely to give them money either directly(mainland/buying region) or indirectly(renting) for a larger amount of LI as you may not branch out.

Edited by CalypsoJewel
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

They did it once, after many years of SL running with the old values.  It was a very big deal. 

All of their computer usage is based on the number of regions and the resources those regions need -- LI translates into 'needed resources'.  To bump up the needed resources on thousands/tens-of-thousands of regions is not a small task -- and it would cost LL a lot of money.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, CalypsoJewel said:

Business. Second Life is a business. Linden Homes were intended to be "starter" homes. If they give you more LI then you are less likely to give them money either directly(mainland/buying region) or indirectly(renting) for a larger amount of LI as you may not branch out.

If they did essentially a 'plus' version for premium, like they said they were going to, to get a bigger home I would be game for that since I'm already paying for premium, personally. 

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They did it once, after many years of SL running with the old values.  It was a very big deal. 

All of their computer usage is based on the number of regions and the resources those regions need -- LI translates into 'needed resources'.  To bump up the needed resources on thousands/tens-of-thousands of regions is not a small task -- and it would cost LL a lot of money.

Technicalities and technology aside, could they possibly start doing it on newer regions then? Like I said, a plus version of premium. And aside from tech talk, why does it feel like every thing I post on you are out to get me and tear me down when I'm genuinely asking questions? I'm just trying to comprehend is all. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

If they did essentially a 'plus' version for premium, like they said they were going to, to get a bigger home I would be game for that since I'm already paying for premium, personally.

They might do that, though i'd be afraid of just how much they'd ask for Plus. Something tells me we'll see a hike in our current premium price soon considering everything ever is going up in price(some for no reason other than "well everybody else is doing it"). I hope i'm wrong.

If Plus will have larger houses or more LI, we likely won't see it for a good while as they're not yet done with the normal homes yet. There would have to be less homes on a region, so either even more cloned regions on those, or a heck of a lot more work for our poor Moles.

• Like 2

This is starting to get very repetitive, as it seems that no matter how many explanations and suggestions are given, the response is still stubbornly "but whyyyyy?"  

So, as for the topic, I actually did roll and put back a couple of 1024s last night. So abandons are out there, but few and far between at the moment. I guess the best bet is to wait for the next batch of regions to drop. (Personally, I'm waiting for more of the 512s currently "available" to actually pop up on the land page!)

tenor-11941379.gif

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

And aside from tech talk, why does it feel like every thing I post on you are out to get me and tear me down when I'm genuinely asking questions? I'm just trying to comprehend is all. 

I am not out to tear you down.  I am trying to explain something and you refuse to hear it or even attempt to understand.  You seem to think that someone can just wave a magic wand and make it happen.  

9 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

Technicalities and technology aside, could they possibly start doing it on newer regions then? Like I said, a plus version of premium.

As to this part, yes if is possible, but unlikely for Linden Homes (at least in the near future) due to various reasons.  If, BIG IF, LL has already decided that something of that sort would be part of Premium Plus, then when they planned out their future region needs they would have taken that into consideration.  However, I don't think I'd take that bet.  Ultimately though, we will not know until they finally roll out Premium Plus.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

• Moles
13 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

It's a bit more complicated than that.

There is a computational cost to the simulator for each object rezzed on the region -- that is, it has to keep track of a large number of parameters for each face of each link in each object there and deliver these to the viewers of all the agents on the region, and to keep on doing this multiple times a second, and the more complex an object is, the more of the simulator's resources are needed to render it.

There's a limit to the amount of data the simulator can process and deliver in each frame while maintaining an acceptable level of performance, and that's where the total region LI cap of 22,500 LI for a full Mainland/Linden Homes region comes from -- the limits are set by LL's engineers as the maximum at which they can guarantee a consistent and acceptable level of performance.

See this Knowledge Base article for some more information

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

13 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

Technicalities and technology aside, could they possibly start doing it on newer regions then? Like I said, a plus version of premium. And aside from tech talk, why does it feel like every thing I post on you are out to get me and tear me down when I'm genuinely asking questions? I'm just trying to comprehend is all. 

I agree with you on this point. People who use SL come into it with different levels of what they're willing to pay to play. I think Linden Lab should have 4 levels of subscription to reflect this point. Note, I used to think 2 levels were plenty, but since they're raising the the cost of Premium by now adding state and local sales tax, I think many users will just downgrade to Basic. Linden Lab will be losing revenue from those players, so why not give them an Economy level midway between Basic and Premium?

On the other hand, users like yourself are willing to pay for more Land Impact, but don't really want to live on a mainland parcel. Linden Lab should accommodate people in your position by providing a Premium Plus (or maybe a Gold Level?) subscription. Some people are happy to buy extra tier for bigger mainland parcels, but this is a complicated process compared to just getting a Linden Home already set up in a nice mesh neighborhood. The popularity of upscale residential neighborhoods in privately owned regions also shows that some people want to live the good life in their virtual world. So maybe Linden Lab should cash in on this trend? Just as there are now Linden Home neighborhoods of 512 m trailers and mixed 1024 m and 512 m homes, I think they should make neighborhoods with primarily 2048 parcels, maybe with a few 1024 parcels thrown in. This could be a neighborhood of small, upscale mansions and fancy boutiques. I think many SL users would be willing to pay twice the current Premium subscription fee in order to feel like they're the new elite, socialites of SL.

As for why it seems like everyone on this forum is dumping on you, it's because you are stubbornly sticking to an idea that the rest of us have long ago abandoned. We've accepted that there are technical and financial limitations to playing in SL. We've learned to find practical, economical solutions to our desire to have more nice stuff for a lower cost. We think our solutions are very good, and don't understand why you won't accept them. Also, the folks on these forums sometimes like to get a bit snarky with people who don't fit into our expectations for a "good" SL resident. We may say we all just want to get along, but it's human nature to group people into insiders and outsiders, and then to put down the outsiders. 😟

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

"Note, I used to think 2 levels were plenty, but since they're raising the the cost of Premium by now adding state and local sales tax, I think many users will just downgrade to Basic."

I don't know about that.  For the state I live in, it will cost me $0.71 more per month for premium...that's peanuts

ETA: they won't be missing me as a subscriber

Edited by Kylie Jaxxon
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

"Note, I used to think 2 levels were plenty, but since they're raising the the cost of Premium by now adding state and local sales tax, I think many users will just downgrade to Basic."

I don't know about that.  For the state I live in, it will cost me $0.71 more per month for premium...that's peanuts

ETA: they won't be missing me as a subscriber

Truth! I just did the math for my own state, and at L$99/year for an annual premium account, the tax is less than $9. PER YEAR. 

I just spent almost that much at Taco Bell for lunch. 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.