"Remember Second Life? It’s Now Taking On Big Tech’s Metaverse | WSJ"

davidventer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Honestly, it feels like 2006 hype all over again. All the radio and newspapers were saying the same thing about SL back then and all the companies were interested.

I think what might happen is that people will try Meta Horizons and every other metaverse, feel they are too sterile, and secretly go into SL to enjoy the dark side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Yes, Rosedale is everywhere.

But he's hopelessly out of touch with SL as it stands, doesn't participate recreationally (or anonymously), and has little to no idea why any of us do.

He's recycling the same tired old talking points from years past and we're about to enter a brave new world of SL for business meetings, where nothing will fundamentally change only we're going to get new starter outfits so people can sign up and be immediately serious and productive. The last thing we need is romanticized memories of roaming the gird when it was 16 regions and everyone knew who Philip was & almost 2 decades of literal neglect being spun as a deliberate governance choice.

Linden Lab are as fundamentally lost as they have ever been, if they weren't, they wouldn't have needed Philip glitter-pants-bad-avatar-cant-dress-himself Rosedale as a "strategic advisor".

I still don't think it's a case of LL needing Philip so much as Philip needs LL. He seems to be treading water.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Honestly, it feels like 2006 hype all over again. All the radio and newspapers were saying the same thing about SL back then and all the companies were interested.

I think what might happen is that people will try Meta Horizons and every other metaverse, feel they are too sterile, and secretly go into SL to enjoy the dark side.

Its the exact same hype from 2006 that they recycled for VR and are now rerecycling back again. They aren't coming here for "the dark side", they aren't coming here at all. If we even get a mention it's to compare how crusty something new looks. HAHA, this looks like rubbish old second life, remember that, hahahahaha .. oh god its still around..

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I still don't think it's a case of LL needing Philip so much as Philip needs LL. He seems to be treading water.

Yeah .. My read is HiFi got a bail out for more time to license their special spatial audio. (they built an entire VR driven virtual world platform .. and the audio is the only part worth keeping .. youch)

Edited by Coffee Pancake
ho hum >.>
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

Yes. 

Who is "us"? This idea isn't for you. Its not for those who have been here a long time. The old needs to be thrown out and the whole thing revamped and upgraded....properly. If SL does not grow, it will die. Thats fact with any platform and you know it. Nobody likes change, even me. But I will compromise and say mesh ability should be added next to prim tools

I'm against this as a whole, as are many here.  your ideas are a bit to radical,  if they create another platform, then sure, mesh it all you want. but this, this was created like people like myself and the others, it's why SL exists. it's why it will exist. if you go about ahead with this revamp and throw it all out, you kill the platform, you push every one of us paying customers away and the lab WILL not stab themselves in the foot even if you want it too.  because that's what you are saying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mar Scarmon said:

The Lindens should be jumping all over this publicity and hyping Second Life.  What I can't understand is why Roblox and Minecraft are so popular when they appear so crude compared to SL. Maybe META or a similar company interested in the metaverse should buy Second Life.  I would love to see the Lindens at least TRY to bring SL forward and rejuvenate it.

We wouldn't want Meta/Freakbook to buy SL, which was here 2 decades before Zuck though of the leg-less virtual world they got. When Meta's version implodes, SL will go on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

We wouldn't want Meta/Freakbook to buy SL, which was here 2 decades before Zuck though of the leg-less virtual world they got. When Meta's version implodes, SL will go on.

Actually the Meta Avatars have legs. But that is beyond the point. I would rather see SL continue as a virtual world, instead of changing to a metaverse. I mean have you seen ready player one? I also don't want them to force vr on us all. I am one of those people who get nauseous when I'm wearing a VR headset.

• Like 2

Just now, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I'm against this as a whole, as are many here.  your ideas are a bit to radical,  if they create another platform, then sure, mesh it all you want. but this, this was created like people like myself and the others, it's why SL exists. it's why it will exist. if you go about ahead with this revamp and throw it all out, you kill the platform, you push every one of us paying customers away and the lab WILL not stab themselves in the foot even if you want it too.  because that's what you are saying.

Oh please, we're not going anywhere. We have all sat though year after year of appalling management, LL could break the sky and we would all just put up with it .. wait they did that, again, break the sky again.

We're not asking for radical changes, we're asking for stuff that benefits the platform as people today are using it and creating incentives for new people to get involved.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mar Scarmon said:

What I can't understand is why Roblox and Minecraft are so popular

Mobile clients, that’s why - Something that’s in the 2022 roadmap for Linden Lab.  Mobile is king. Second Life will only experience massive user growth once it’s officially available on Android, iOS, and iPadOS. 

Also, greater interactivity and purpose/objectives - Something that’s already possible on SL (RP games, mini-games, quests, etc.) but just needs more exposure or a greater focus towards it. The destination guide is doing an okay job at that. I’ve found plenty of fun game-type things to do through the destination guide, and the new Welcome Island points new users at the Destination guide after they’ve learnt how to move, dress, and interact with the world around them, so new users looking for more interactivity can easily find it.  But that said; What’s on offer is probably not on par with the ease of interactivity in other virtual worlds so maybe that needs some more focus. But there has been progress in that regard too, Experiences being the most significant so far. I’m sure there are more things in the works. 

Edited by davidventer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, davidventer said:

Mobile clients, that’s why - Something that’s in the 2022 roadmap for Linden Lab.  Mobile is king. Second Life will only experience massive user growth once it’s officially available on Android, iOS, and iPadOS. 

What? Nonsense.

Minecraft was huge before it was on Mobile .. Minecraft is huge because it's fun.

Mobile (and console) just made the fun more accessible, and everyone who already had it bought it again multiple times. I think I must own half a dozen different licenses it for it myself, my kid has it on everything, probably twice.

Also, greater interactivity and purpose/objectives - Something that’s already possible on SL (RP games, mini-games, quests, etc.)

No, such content is barely possible in SL due to the shared experience and high cost of land.

Its' expensive to build out the space required for your game to take place.

Your game MUST be in the exact same state for all players in the same location due to the shared experience. This makes telling narrative stories very difficult.

but just needs more exposure or a greater focus towards it.

We need better tooling. No one is coming to SL to make games when Unity, Unreal, Godot or a dozen other free game engines exist giving the developers absolute control. 

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, davidventer said:

and the new Welcome Island points new users at the Destination guide after they’ve learnt how to move, dress, and interact with the world around them, so new users looking for more interactivity can easily find it ...

Do you mean to morass of stupidity that is Social Island? A place where 30+ avatars hang around, dropping f-bombs into the Nearby Chat channel, behave like hyperactive and immature 10 year olds and generally piss around like unwashed adolescents? I drop in there occasionally and have yet to see anyone offering help in the Nearby Chat to anyone. It's the same crew of visual yahoos goofing off, littering the place with particle effects, and simply doing jack all to help. London City is not much better at times but at least they have a few designated helpers trying to keep the peace (though the other day I was in my cat avatar and meowed twice in about a minute and was told off and to shut up by a designated helper, all the while some guy yelling slurs and swearing in Nearby gets a pass).

The onboarding experience in SL sucks so hard it's not funny. And I got decades of professional experience in that field to back my thoughts up.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

What? Nonsense.

Minecraft was huge before it was on Mobile .. Minecraft is huge because it's fun.

What is so fun about Minecraft?  I watched my kids play and it looked pretty much like digital Lego.  I think building in SL is more fun.  So what is fun about Minecraft?  What am I missing?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mar Scarmon said:

What is so fun about Minecraft?  I watched my kids play and it looked pretty much like digital Lego.  I think building in SL is more fun.  So what is fun about Minecraft?  What am I missing?  

Maybe time to ask your kids to show you around.

Minecraft is awesome.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Do you mean to morass of stupidity that is Social Island?

No, I’m talking about Welcome island. It’s not accessible to existing users. A replica of it is available for view named “Welcome Back Island” but existing users can’t access “Welcome Island” and new users never drop in at “Welcome Back Island.”

Edited by davidventer

17 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Do you mean to morass of stupidity that is Social Island? A place where 30+ avatars hang around, dropping f-bombs into the Nearby Chat channel, behave like hyperactive and immature 10 year olds and generally piss around like unwashed adolescents? I drop in there occasionally and have yet to see anyone offering help in the Nearby Chat to anyone. It's the same crew of visual yahoos goofing off, littering the place with particle effects, and simply doing jack all to help. London City is not much better at times but at least they have a few designated helpers trying to keep the peace (though the other day I was in my cat avatar and meowed twice in about a minute and was told off and to shut up by a designated helper, all the while some guy yelling slurs and swearing in Nearby gets a pass).

The onboarding experience in SL sucks so hard it's not funny. And I got decades of professional experience in that field to back my thoughts up.

An easy solution would be that instead of using these various locations for help, every S/L viewer automatically signs a user up for a moderated S/L help group where the newer residents would have quick and easy access to Lindens and/or Moles or even designated volunteers for any issues. This is so dead simple that it is mind numbing that the Lab doesn't use it's own resources for helping out new residents.

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I did suggest a compromise as my ideas were reaching radical levels.

mesh ability should be added next to prim tools .

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mar Scarmon said:

And that....is precisely why Second Life will never change. Sure, it will get a few minor updates but it will forever be known to the rest of the world as an ancient platform to laugh at because it never progressed past 2006. It will be laughed at as the program older generations use....and trust me, its been that way already for a very very long time and its nothing to be proud of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mar Scarmon said:

It kind of is like Legos in a way, yeah.

Minecraft has actual goals, should one choose to pursue them. There's a dragon to slay and it takes quite a bit of preparation to do so. There are survival elements. There's a sense of danger (for those who like that sort of thing), or not, in Peaceful mode. There are a gabillion player-made mods that can add everything from a full quest system to new types of blocks to entire farming systems, combat systems, ranching, new biomes, new trees/plants/flowers, spells and magic, technology, even deadlier enemies, you get the idea. Random example - my game is modded so heavily into the farming/ranching/cooking angle that it's pretty much Stardew Valley at this point. And my kitchen is absolutely adorable. And I can eat everything I cook in it.

There's an electric/power system so you can automate machines and other random fun things. Crafting. Building. Gathering. And if you don't want to mess with any of that, hop into Creative mode and have every single block at your disposal to build anything you want without any disruptions.

I think the two are aimed at entirely different audiences, honestly. The biggest draw to me is you can hop into Minecraft and build anywhere you want - for free. In complete privacy should you so choose (in your own private world). Or start massive building projects with others. No land tier necessary.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

And that....is precisely why Second Life will never change. Sure, it will get a few minor updates but it will forever be known to the rest of the world as an ancient platform to laugh at because it never progressed past 2006. It will be laughed at as the program older generations use....and trust me, its been that way already for a very very long time and its nothing to be proud of.

Are you the older generation?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.