"Remember Second Life? It’s Now Taking On Big Tech’s Metaverse | WSJ"

davidventer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Are you the older generation?

I'm not, but I mean if you don't advance and progress with the times. Not be like an older person stuck in their ways. You will never succeed. Sure it's nice to have a niche market. But SL needs to really update everything, if they expect to get new users.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Finite said:

Just reading some of the comments on that youtube video....

"No thanks. A friend had a virtual extramarital affair on second Life. Broke his wife's heart, she kicked him out and dissolved the marriage."

🤣

That is hardly the platforms fault. That is a personal thing. SL didn't make him cheat, he choose too. This is the kind of negative that gets SL a bad rep. Blame the platform and not the people. RME

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I'm not, but I mean if you don't advance and progress with the times. Not be like an older person stuck in their ways. You will never succeed. Sure it's nice to have a niche market. But SL needs to really update everything, if they expect to get new users.

I am not sure exactly what SL needs to update. Sure they could modernize the code and fix a few kinks but in terms of its progress it has always been limited to and restricted by such things as internet speeds and the graphic capabilities of computers.

I can see if someone plays mostly on a laptop and low speed internet how  they would have these feelings but the game looks pretty dam good on a gaming computer. I really don't see anything that is dated on a regular basis in SL.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 5

I honestly don't think you have to be the top dog to be the best.. I just hope LL or whoever, Doesn't feel they have to be the top dog or compete with those other guys..

Second life is kinda like what we call a Sooner dog.. That dog that someone can't get rid of no matter how hard they try, short of shooting it..

They'll Drop it off miles away from the house thinking it'll be too lost that far away and never come back.. But Sooner or later, it's back in the yard again..hehehe

I haven't really paid much attention to the whole thing because I don't give facebook the time of day.. But if for some reason SL went away because of all this, I'd probably be done with this kind of virtual world anyways, and never in my life would I be on a facebook version of it or anything else that that brain sucker puts out..

That boy wants power and mind control.

hehehe

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

What about land painting tools to replace the aging terrain tool?

Or the ability to terraform real cave systems?

Stop teasing us with such extravagant features, damn you 😜  While we are at it though, I want images for my inventory items, a preview window to see what items look like on my character, I want tools to create mesh objects in SL, and land to be less expensive so I can have my own region included with premium.  

Edit:
I also want my camera to pick up on my facial expressions, to transmit them to my avatar.. if EQ2 can do it, then LL needs to make it so.  Also, I would like it to pick up my hand gestures.. I could keep adding to my list.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Istelathis said:

Stop teasing us with such extravagant features, damn you 😜  While we are at it though, I want images for my inventory items, a preview window to see what items look like on my character, I want tools to create mesh objects in SL, and land to be less expensive so I can have my own region included with premium.  

These are literally all basic requests that many games and platforms already have. That last one though...good luck xD

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

What LL needs to do is rebuild SL from the ground up. And then maybe we would have a shot at being a competitor in the virtual worlds/ metaverse race.

Remember Sansar? LL tried that. All new, better graphics, totally incompatible, about 20 concurrent users.

Systems which just host multiple little independent worlds are very niche. Sansar, SineSpace,  and High Fidelity were all like that, and they all had user counts in 2 digits. Big, explorable worlds with content from more than one user in the same space are a bigger niche.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Ngl, I don't know why LL is going this direction. I mean they need to keep in their own direction. Be unique.

The problem is they can't,  and that always has been a problem.
Ten come up with ideas, no direction, they pick 5 of those ideas, let fail 4,5 of them halfway, and the remaining half sucks.
Plans enough, but never for the whole of SL, always partial, and nearly never what the residents ask for.
They didn't understand the questions from the residents for many years, made their own ideas, and no businessplan for the long term. 
It's like politics... we'r going to do this, that and so... but at next elections ... the same we'r going to for this that and so....

• Like 2

Yuckerperve is wholly & solely of the "influencer" mindset.
It could obviously be argued that he is and always has been #1 "influencer".
These people disgust me, to my very core.

The worlds only safety valve here is that these type of people are eminently & instantly disposable.
Eternally.
Something he is just starting to discover.

Pokey.gif

When something is old news it's old news, SL has been around for almost 20 years, its even older than smartphones (**yet still has no smartphone client). Some people liked it , most people didn't and the world moved on.

At least it's still online for us who have an account in it.

• Like 4

The most important take-away in the WSJ video, to me, is Phil Rosedale suggesting using webcams to emulate non-verbal motions of SL avatars. I think this is potentially a very important aspect of human to human interaction that's mostly ignored. Some rudimentary body motions are already in place and very underappreciated, in my opinion, like the SL avatar's eyes automatically following nearby moving and talking agents. (Sadly, most people turn this feature off in favor of a more mannequin-like appearance.)

Webcam motion tracing is already quite successful in the flight simulator world. I'm using a simple app, ViewTracker and a webcam to fly planes with in DCS.

The VR-like camera motions in this video are made by my webcam tracking my head movement, rather than using an actual VR headset.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I want to be able to tell people I play, create content and assist with a viewer for Second Life and it not be a moment of shame.

It's funny that even now, in the midst of all the metaverse hype, it's still risky mentioning Second Life on your resume.

On the plus side it's a good excuse to string together a few buzzwords just to generalize and avoid mentioning the platform by name, and something like "creating content for a variety of platforms providing computer simulated environments and interactive 3D content for streaming purposes such as real-time visualisation and online games" does look a lot better on a resume.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

It's funny that even now, in the midst of all the metaverse hype, it's still risky mentioning Second Life on your resume.

That depends. Being an ex Vodafone Store manager (franchise) i would hire an individual who has "5 years experience in Sales or Tech support" working for a real company that does business with Linden Lab/SecondLife but i wouldn't hire a player who's been unofficially doing it (marketplace,inworld etc).

In a similar way being a host in SL doesn't mean you are experienced to work for a real club or if you have rentals in SL you should be hired as a Hotel Manager in real hotels.

I am sure there many talented people in SL and other games but there are things to consider when you hire personel for specific jobs.

20 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

That depends. Being an ex Vodafone Store manager (franchise) i would hire an individual who has "5 years experience in Sales or Tech support" working for a real company that does business with Linden Lab/SecondLife but i wouldn't hire a player who's been unofficially doing it (marketplace,inworld etc).

In a similar way being a host in SL doesn't mean you are experienced to work for a real club or if you have rentals in SL you should be hired as a Hotel Manager in real hotels.

I am sure there many talented people in SL and other games but there are things to consider when you hire personel for specific jobs.

While that certainly can be true for the examples you provide, when it comes to 3D modelling, texturing, etc. the process of creating content is no different for SL than it is for the majority of other platforms.  The skills and experience that you acquire are easily transferable and as long as the content you're making is of a high enough quality then it can all be included in a portfolio.

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin

22 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Ngl, I don't know why LL is going this direction. I mean they need to keep in their own direction. Be unique.

Honestly, have you ever discovered a clear direction in what LL does with SL?
I already find it for 15 years ultimately vague what direction they are hitting for. SL floats around a bit for years in a row, after the Lab's attempt to sell it to business as a usable tool and their huge failure selling it to education for too much money.

And since they focused on the development of Sansar only thing we got was some shiny lightning most people don't use. After the Sansar debacle they let SL float again for their new toy Tilia. What is the gain for us long time SL users besides paying more for L$ and merchants paying more sales tax to LL?

The last decade LL did nothing to push SL towards a mainstream metaverse platform.
They try to get some crumbs form the current hype by putting Philip Rosedale in their shop window again. Let the ancient guru talk, who never had real success again after the early years of SL.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

While certainly can be true for the examples you provide, when it comes to 3D modelling, texturing, etc. the process of creating content is no different for SL than it is for the majority of other platforms.  The skills and experience that you acquire are easily transferable and as long as the content you're making is of a high enough quality then it can all be included in a portfolio.

If your occupation is 3D designer then yes such stuff might as well be included in your portfolio,  always remember there are also other professionals who apply for the same job so the more experienced you are the better.

Edited by Nick0678

4 hours ago, davidventer said:

Actually, the majority of that stock drop was caused when investors realized the two more important take-aways from the earning report and call.

First, FB's growth in user not only stopped, it reversed for the first time in their history. I'd argue it's peaked. If you aren't on the FB platform and ecosystem by now, you never will be. FB has become irrelevant to the Gen-Z demographic (18–25 and also younger) and nothing they offer will ever get those users on board. This is where they stay or slowly decline and that means less revenue to Meta.

Second, Apple's increasing focus on blocking advertising platforms; the large majority of iOS users when prompted ... and they HAVE to be prompted now ... turn OFF the method by which FB and the other people selling you as the product to identify you well enough that targeted ads can be delivered. That means FB is losing tens of billions of dollars in annual revenue, and that's the key reason the stock price took a hit.

That $10B you mentioned in chump change in a year to Meta. Zuckerbot himself lost three times that amount of wealth personally during the stock price decrease.

On a side note ... If I were worth as much as Z is I'd have cashed out a LONG time ago. But I'm not a narcissistic, power-addicted, dictatorial lizard bro who thinks my users are "dumb f&^ks" for even being on the platform and handing him so much personal data. And if you think his attitude about users has changed one iota since that interview when he said that, I have a bridge in NYC to sell you.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

The most important take-away in the WSJ video, to me, is Phil Rosedale suggesting using webcams to emulate non-verbal motions of SL avatars. I think this is potentially a very important aspect of human to human interaction that's mostly ignored. Some rudimentary body motions are already in place and very underappreciated, in my opinion, like the SL avatar's eyes automatically following nearby moving and talking agents. (Sadly, most people turn this feature off in favor of a more mannequin-like appearance.)

Webcam motion tracing is already quite successful in the flight simulator world. I'm using a simple app, ViewTracker and a webcam to fly planes with in DCS.

The VR-like camera motions in this video are made by my webcam tracking my head movement, rather than using an actual VR headset.

Why's your tail hook down?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.