I said LAG, do you understand what I'm talking about?

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can you explain to me why some merchants place their inwrld shop in a small parcel of a sim overflowing with stuff and fill that tiny parcel with everything so when you land you get frozen before you can look around and can't even render the entry of the shop?
Do they enjoy in torturing their customers in this way?

• Like 1

Sounds like they may be on mainland..

If they have been around for awhile, take into consideration that  others may have placed there stuff in the sim after the merchant was already there..

Not saying that's the case, because there are many that try to put 5 gallons of stuff into a 1 gallon bucket.. hehehe

Why they do it? It's hard to say really.. hehehe

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Can you explain to me why some merchants place their inwrld shop in a small parcel of a sim overflowing with stuff and fill that tiny parcel with everything so when you land you get frozen before you can look around and can't even render the entry of the shop?

I believe it is better to ask the merchants themselves. 

In all honesty, let's say that it is a store with good quality products, which you'd like to support. You might want to approach the merchant and offer constructive feedback. In a friendly manner, inform them that you love their quality products and that you'd like to see them succeed. And share the poor customer experience that the lag is causing, and the potential impact to their business.

If you don't care for the products or the merchant, TP somewhere else and enjoy SL!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

Also I wonder why so many DJs and hosts at clubs ask people to TP in as many friends as possible, often saying "let's see if we can crash this sim". 

Crashing a sim with a huge crowd is the ultimate compliment to any entertainer.  You are obviously not a club owner, DJ, hostess, or live entertainer.  The larger the crowd, the better everyone feels.  A sign of success, and being part of a friendly crowd is better than watching youtube alone in your room, for MOST people.

Lag is like cigarette smoke, spilled beer,  and cheap perfume in RL - you put up with it if you club, or you stay at home alone with your pets.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

If a sim is overflowing with "stuff" it could be a business rents there because of the traffic.  A sim with empty shops and no "stuff" is not where you put your real-world shop if you are depending on traffic and sales.

In world shop rent is expensive. You pay for a limited number of LI/shop.  Why would you not use up your allotted  paid for prims with your merchandise in your shop?  

A tiny parcel can hold a tiny number of objects and prims. You are blaming a small shop owner for lag that they probably have nothing to do with.  Complain to the region owner.

If you are talking about small shops at weekend sales events, that lag is coming from the avatars, or the event owner has oversubscribed the number of shops, because of more profit. Ask the event owner to set the region limit to 20 avatars, and cut the number of shops in half, and you will have no lag.  Nobody is in this to make a profit of course.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

If a sim is overflowing with "stuff" it could be a business rents there because of the traffic.  A sim with empty shops and no "stuff" is not where you put your real-world shop if you are depending on traffic and sales.

In world shop rent is expensive. You pay for a limited number of LI/shop.  Why would you not use up your allotted  paid for prims with your merchandise in your shop?  

A tiny parcel can hold a tiny number of objects and prims. You are blaming a small shop owner for lag that they probably have nothing to do with.  Complain to the region owner.

If you are talking about small shops at weekend sales events, that lag is coming from the avatars, or the event owner has oversubscribed the number of shops, because of more profit. Ask the event owner to set the region limit to 20 avatars, and cut the number of shops in half, and you will have no lag.  Nobody is in this to make a profit of course.

I have to ask or to complain with nobody dear.

If you can't afford at least a quarter sim just put the shop in a nice skybox at least 600 meters high and we'll all be happier.
On the ground maybe put a nice reception with teleport. But surely it would be more profitable for everyone if you let me land directly in the skybox.
It doesn't seem like a very difficult thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, the skybox shop is vastly preferable, if the objective is to cater to customers' buying stuff quickly.

Personally, however, I find those "serious business" stores the least interesting establishments in SL, and I'm much more likely to buy if the shop and its products are presented in an immersive context, even if god forbid the shopping experience takes more time than buying on Marketplace. (Of course immersion can be achieved in a skybox, but if there's an entertaining experience on ground level, it's not crazy to put some commercial opportunities there, too.)

That said, there are stupid things merchants do that make their stores unnecessarily miserable to visit. Many of the worst mistakes can be detected by shopping an empty* store with a cache-cleared alt: Don't dynamically load textures anywhere in view of the landing / store entry. Don't drop visitors in the middle of an "atmospheric" alpha mesh (snow, fog, rain etc) that will appear an inescapably vast, vaguely glowing trap until the textures drip through the CDN pipe. Eschew Linden water unless it's really a necessary part of the scene.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

I have to ask or to complain with nobody dear.

If you can't afford at least a quarter sim just put the shop in a nice skybox at least 600 meters high and we'll all be happier.
On the ground maybe put a nice reception with teleport. But surely it would be more profitable for everyone if you let me land directly in the skybox.
It doesn't seem like a very difficult thing to do.

If you ever run across a little crammed full shop that won't allow you access not due to lag, it's mine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Echelon Alcott said:

I believe it is better to ask the merchants themselves. 

In all honesty, let's say that it is a store with good quality products, which you'd like to support. You might want to approach the merchant and offer constructive feedback. In a friendly manner, inform them that you love their quality products and that you'd like to see them succeed. And share the poor customer experience that the lag is causing, and the potential impact to their business.

If you don't care for the products or the merchant, TP somewhere else and enjoy SL!

Be forewarned, the reaction you get from a merchant when offering constructive feedback may vary. If I tell a merchant that their vendor is not working or I can't get into their store due to Convex Hull being set up incorrectly, they are usually appreciative and nice in their response. On the other hand, some merchants may think their store set up is just fine the way it is, and the real problem is that you complain too much. It's best if you can identify a specific problem that they can easily fix, and if you're respectful and polite in your note to them. Also, in my experience, merchants who are rude to customers, constantly complaining, and paranoid about having their stuff copied or resold do not last long as merchants.

• Like 3

There seems to be two laws of nature in SL, or in any metaverse, for that matter:

1. Bigger is more 'beautiful'. People rez more stuff to make it 'prettier'.

2. Also, bigger is slower. The more prims and scripts you add to a land, the slower it becomes to load and render for anyone.

So much for the First and Second Law of Captain Obvious.

'Beauty' and speed are two trade-offs that will always reach an equilibrium in SL, no matter how hard humanity's internet speed and computer speed will increase over time. The amount of prims and scripts added to a land will always reflect, in the worst case,  the level of 'tolerable' of the creator and, in the best case, the level of 'tolerable' of their average visitor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Good manners first of all darling.

Calling someone "dear" or "darling" when they are not your SO or perhaps your child, is incredibly rude in most Western cultures. It's what faux-upper-class people say to lower-class people to emphasize their self-perceived superiority.

You are coming across the same as that. You sound like you are treating everyone else here like children.

Actual good manners would be to stop doing that, and apologise to the people you said it to.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Do they enjoy in torturing their customers in this way?

Maybe for some store owners they have a way of thinking that the higher powered computer someone has the more disposable income they have to spend in their store?  Not everyone suffers from the lag if they have computers that run like NASA space craft with a better-than-average gaming-dedicated graphics card, three fans and a cooling system. 

Maybe. 

Or maybe some stores are on regions that are sharing servers and are a bit more prone to lag than others and think it's a tolerable amount when they don't have an all-you-can-eat seasonal sale.

Just hazarding a couple of guesses here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Calling someone "dear" or "darling" when they are not your SO or perhaps your child, is incredibly rude in most Western cultures. It's what faux-upper-class people say to lower-class people to emphasize their self-perceived superiority.

You are coming across the same as that. You sound like you are treating everyone else here like children.

Actual good manners would be to stop doing that, and apologise to the people you said it to.

Sorry sweetie.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.