Is satellite ok with secondlife?

WinTrain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I live on a mountain in a rural area, is satellite internet ok with secondlife? I played other games and had over 1k ping and frozen screens in those games when I tried satellite before but I don't think I ever tried it with secondlife.

I can only get satellite  for right now, no other available internet other than the Hughes net satellite. I had ATT wireless internet that pinged off a tower nearby the home but was dumb and canceled it to save money. Now for some reason I can't get that internet back because all the spots are taken by other people and I have to wait.  

So is satellite with secondlife somewhat decent? Or will I lag walk and freeze and constantly crash?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WinTrain said:

Ok I live on a mountain in a rural area, is satellite internet ok with secondlife? I played other games and had over 1k ping and frozen screens in those games when I tried satellite before but I don't think I ever tried it with secondlife.

I can only get satellite  for right now, no other available internet other than the Hughes net satellite. I had ATT wireless internet that pinged off a tower nearby the home but was dumb and canceled it to save money. Now for some reason I can't get that internet back because all the spots are taken by other people and I have to wait.  

So is satellite with secondlife somewhat decent? Or will I lag walk and freeze and constantly crash?

If you had high ping in other games, it will be the same in Second Life. Satellite internet is generally crap. You will get high ping no matter what game you play.

• Like 2

I know a person that has a Hughes net terminal.  She logs in to Second Life via the vsat terminal's Internet service.  She chats, sometimes listens to parcel music with us, but she NEVER walks.  When asked, she told us the round trip time was so long that she might as well be tele-commanding a rover on the moon.  When she does want to move her avatar she can either teleport or use the waypoint method to tell it to go to a point by clicking on it.

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

You might want to have a look at Starlink from Tesla-very fast low latency sat service.

Is this actually a viable option for mortal beings?

image.thumb.png.973f0d009ea4a9b25458717431869a0c.png

Edited by Chroma Starlight
"It's okay because complaints are also handled by customer service but technically they aren't customers until subscribed. Problem solved! Let them eat Satellite Internet Cake!" "But Sir, they have no Satellite internet cake!" "Call cust svc." -Musk&co?

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

Is there a logical reason why you can't just link to the website?

I am not sure what they'll be served if I do that, but if I give them a static image from my browser, then I may be reasonably certain they are seeing it as I do because it's a bespoke meta object. Therefore, this is a record of how things seem from my position in spacetime, recorded for posterity.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

11 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I am not sure what they'll be served if I do that, but if I give them a static image from my browser, then I may be reasonably certain they are seeing it as I do because it's a bespoke meta object. Therefore, this is a record of how things seem from my position in spacetime, recorded for posterity.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping times have a major impact on Second Life. You want your ping time as short as possible. <100ms is ideal. ~250ms is something you can live with. >300ms is annoying. At >500ms you can forget flying, driving, and sailing and walking and other avatar actions becoming highly frustrating. Above ~750ms you'll start getting disconnects.

SL will tolerate ~2000 to 3000 ms for brief periods, like 1 to 2 seconds. Somewhere around 5 seconds the system will disconnect.

Packet loss will reduce the time SL will tolerate problems before disconnecting.

Satellite is not for gaming and especially not for SL.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WinTrain said:

I've known people who log in from their RVs as they travel the US so satellite does work just not very well depending on location. 

It's going to take having the company come out and see what can be done. It won't cost you anything for them to check if there will be "line of sight" or if something will block the signal. We tried to get it a couple of years ago but the tech just didn't want to do the job. He kept coming up with solutions that just would not work and would have cost us a lot more. Not to mention the damage done to my home.

*wanders off muttering about techs drilling through walls and through the antique furniture on the other side of the wall.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

In 4 years I've never had an issue with wifi. I am very rarely connected to my ethernet on my laptop.  

In 12 years, I've been wired maybe 1/2 dozen times.  Our last home even had cement block walls between me and the modem.  I've never had much problem.

• Like 2

WiFi ...  hahaha!  Yeah.  Some equipment works great.  Some is rubbish.  Some combinations of great equipment might not work.  The amount of competition for RF spectrum has an effect.  Did you know that weather RADAR systems and 5GHz WiFi compete for spectrum?  I can assure you the RADAR systems win.  Then, don't for get that BluTooth is in the same spectrum as 2.4GHz WiFi.  Basically "wireless" damn near anything can be competition, and don't for get that microwave oven over there transmits huge pulses that result in a mean output power of 1,100 watts for a typical home appliance.  Some of that gets out.  So much gets out that the 802.11 WiFi specifications include listening for appliances and only transmitting between the cooker's RF pulses!  Lots of deliberate RF energy sources can influence your WiFi environment.  There are other influences too, of course.  Computers....  I remember a software test lab filled with Dell 2.4 GHz Pentiums that was a complete WiFi jammer.  The owner had to add 5GHz access points to that room, because the ones in the hallway were not usable through the walls.  Short wavelength RF energy is attenuated more significantly through most transmission media than longer wavelengths.  So that 2.4GHz that sails through the non-metalic walls will probably reach spaces the 5GHz doesn't.  There are shorter wavelength "WiFi" radios that can't even work through a few sheets of paper.  I don't have any personal experience with them but I have worked with space surveillance systems that do not work through anything but some gasses and vacuum and those share a band of spectrum with some newer WiFi equipment.  It's kinda weird to wrap your head those issues, so my rule is, stuff that works only works where it works, and sometimes when.

• Like 1

I live in the middle of nowhere, so I've spent the last 11 years on SL (as a dj) with wireless net - from 2G net cards, to sat-net and now wifi. Does satellite work? Yes, yes it does, and works just fine.  

Worst thing that ever happened, with sat net, beyond usage limits (which were way too low to start with), and the occasional passing heavy rain shower, was a spider that built its web in front of my dish. It didn't knock the net out fully, but caused my upload to be a bit lower, causing me to drop my stream while dj'ing. ;) 

• Thanks 1

Hughes uses the INMARSAT geosynchronous satellites, right? That will guarantee a long round-trip time because the satellites are 36,000 km above the equator and light travels only so fast; total throughput could be pretty high, however, so that could be viable for very sedentary uses of SL where ping time just isn't a concern. That's the whole point of low earth orbit satellite networks such as Starlink which can offer much, much shorter round-trip times—if they get capacity to serve lots of high bandwidth demand.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
32 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

In 4 years I've never had an issue with wifi. I am very rarely connected to my ethernet on my laptop.  

In 12 years, I've been wired maybe 1/2 dozen times.  Our last home even had cement block walls between me and the modem.  I've never had much problem.

Like you, many people have no problem at all with wifi and SL.  For many others, it's a problem.  There are too many variables to predict whether it will work well for a specific user. Some wifi signals can have a hard time passing through walls. They can suffer from RF interference from nearby electrical equipment. And all the other stuff that Ardy described.  This is why Linden Lab neither supports nor recommends using wifi.  If it works for you, that's great.  If it doesn't, don't be surprised.

• Like 2

Be careful testing ping times.   Just 'ping secondlife.com'  will get you a local copy of the website, mine says 14,5m/s.

The only one to use is the 'ping sim' value in the statistics in viewer (Advanced->Performance Tools->Statistics Bar), where mine (Rural North England, Copper 1 mile to Cabinet, Fibre from Cabinet) says ~220m/s.

There is a problem with many Broadband tester applications in that they report multi-thread rates.  This may not tell you how fast each thread is.  For example, on my test today:

Download HTTPx6 = 63.89 Mbps
Download HTTPx1 = 29.87 Mbps
Upload = 10.36 Mbps.

(Pretty typical for a remote UK semi-fibre service)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

Be careful testing ping times.   Just 'ping secondlife.com'  will get you a local copy of the website, mine says 14,5m/s.

The only one to use is the 'ping sim' value in the statistics in viewer (Advanced->Performance Tools->Statistics Bar), where mine (Rural North England, Copper 1 mile to Cabinet, Fibre from Cabinet) says ~220m/s.

If he really wants to learn his ping he should ping the server directly without any other online tasks (or being in SL) but it doesn't matter that much, SL is more tolerant to high ping unlike other MMO's.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.