What scares you?

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

That "toe cutter" is the stuff of RL nightmares. I've been bitten by them when I was a kid. They'll draw blood too. Both they and horseflies were the only thing I hated about swimming during the summer.

I once caught one of these things and had the bright idea to put it in an aquarium and put minnows in there and watch it catch them. well that very night it got out flew around the house, and landed on my wife's pillow next to her head. I am lucky to be alive and scared to try anything like that again.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Clowns

5b803de1b4eed134b3be2b3e7478cb79.gif

1 hour ago, Jordan Whitt said:

...movies with dolls or ventriloquist dummies

So. Movie night? Or rather movie morning perhaps .. When? 

Here is something that if they catch me off guard will have me jumping out of my skin.. They are a beautiful bug to see, once I settle down from coming across one..

This is like the toughest bug around here that nothing will mess with..

Frogs are about the only thing that will eat them, then spit them back out, then they are off and running again, because they don't die after the frog eats them.. hehehe

The Red Velvet Ant, which is actually a wasp, but without wings.. People step on them and still don't kill them on the first try.. I've seen someone step on one and it get back up and take off running again.. took like three times to really kill it.. I don't kill them though.. They kill the stuff that really scares me.. Glad they are on my side!! \o/

Oh, and the stinger on them is like really long, About as long as a stinger gets..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

Great seasonal topic @Orwar, much appreciated! 👍

There are a few things actually, though most of them was from when I was a child. The first was listening to a old radio show that played a story about a green fog that if it touched you, would turn you inside out. Now that was soooo scary, with the horrific sound effects going on, that I ran into the bathroom and hid under the sink (even though I could still hear the radio show playing sadly). Another one was a Lost In Space episode called "Trip Through the Robot" (it was a cool episode actually), and when they got to the Robot's heart, the sound of it beating made me actually hide behind my chair! lol It just goes to show how sounds alone can scare the crap out of us.
   As far as today's times goes, any movie that has tons of blood and gore in it (like SAW for example). While I like movies akin to the Freddy films, over the top stuff like that I won't watch. Oh and fyi... there is a reason why many sci-fi movie monsters are insect like; it's because on some fundamental level, insects sorta freak everyone out (especially when they come at you like a swarm, or are bigger then you are lol.

Peace...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Dying and going to Heaven.

I don't believe that Heaven as the cherry pickers envision it to be exists, nor would it be all that great a place to be, especially with the possibility of a ranking/classism system based on your mortal accomplishments.

I'm not religious, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the Bible says.  I can't speak for the Koran.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Here is something that if they catch me off guard will have me jumping out of my skin.. They are a beautiful bug to see, once I settle down from coming across one..

This is like the toughest bug around here that nothing will mess with..

Frogs are about the only thing that will eat them, then spit them back out, then they are off and running again, because they don't die after the frog eats them.. hehehe

The Red Velvet Ant, which is actually a wasp, but without wings.. People step on them and still don't kill them on the first try.. I've seen someone step on one and it get back up and take off running again.. took like three times to really kill it.. I don't kill them though.. They kill the stuff that really scares me.. Glad they are on my side!! \o/

Oh, and the stinger on them is like really long, About as long as a stinger gets..

As a kid I used to poke at these with a stick whenever I found them. I just assumed they were big ants. I had no idea about the stinger until only a few years ago.

I also ran around outside barefoot alot. It's a miracle I only got stung by a bee once on the foot and by nothing else.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

1 hour ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I'm not religious, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the Bible says.  I can't speak for the Koran.

I loosely based my comment on the ranking of angels as well as the up to 5 different crowns one could allegedly be rewarded with for good deeds in mortal life.

I'd rather not have this thread derailed into religious discussion so I will not obliging any further opinions/beliefs on the matter from anyone.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I'd rather not have this thread derailed into religious discussion so I will not obliging any further opinions/beliefs on the matter from anyone.

There's plenty of good Biblical teaching on YouTube. :) 

I'm scared of dentistry.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Added text.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have "dentophobia" (also called odontophobia) from when younger.
Apparently some whacko dentist pulled baby teeth with no anaesthetic.
I have no memory of the actual event/s but do recall standing outside a dentists surgery door
with mum & the dentist waiting inside when I was about 13yo.
Sobbing quietly but uncontrollably and shaking, (visibly), with fear. 8-/ yuk.

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Have not had
  • Sad 3

Hm, I skimmed past an article a while back that claimed that coulrophobia had surpassed arachnophobia as the 'most common phobia'. Though depending on the definition of phobia, I kind of think plain old social phobia is the most common one. At least here, a clinical phobia is one which is somehow detrimental to your everyday life - not wanting to cosy up with a big old spider isn't the same as not wanting to leave your house in the morning because you're afraid you'll be assaulted by spiders if you do. Although, I suppose if one were to live in Aussieland ..

Personally I don't really mind spiders, as long as they aren't scooting around my room (although I do quite like them being around to kill other crawlies). Though I wouldn't likely want to pick up a random spider to try tickling or nuzzling it. Still, they can be pretty amazing to look at from a comfortable distance!

49058835002_52bb194854_b.jpg

A lot of people have bug phobias.  I love them!

Nothing scares me in SL.  In real life - heights, weapons in other people's hands, dying of long wasting diseases (I don't want to see death coming.)

All of these fears depend on the amount of time I am exposed to them.  With heights I can go zip lining and crawl across sky bridges and such, but if I have to wait at the top for some time, I'll freak out and climb back down.  I can make it through a self defense class on disarming, but I will fall apart at the end badly.  I don't believe in any kind of afterlife, so I don't want this one ending.  I can handle anything for a little while.

There was a part in a horror move, The Ring , I think. Anyway a creepy little girl crawls out of a TV and for some reason it was terrifying at the moment.  I try to relive it now in my head and it all seems so silly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.