Favorite given names?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Female: Sakura, Ruby, Siobhan, Rose, Carmel, Mirabelle, Niamh. And Birdie, as it was my great-nan's name! xD

Male: I like old  traditional names like Terry, Fred, Bill and Sid 🙂 And I once had a pet rat called Lord Rodney.

Jasper is a good one too! I don't think there's ever been an evil person in the world called Jasper. 

Unisex: Jude.

• Like 1

Hm ...

• Albrecht
  • Beatrice 
  • Cynthia
  • Drahoslava
  • Erhard
  • Frej
  • Gunhild
  • Harald
  • Irma
  • Jessica
  • Karin
  • Linnea
  • Minerva
  • Natalya
  • Orwar
  • Phoebe
  • Quinn
  • Robert
  • Signe
  • Torbjörn
  • Ursula 
  • Vidar
  • Wolfgang
  • Xenia
  • Ylva
  • Zbigniew
  • Åke
  • Älva
  • Öjvind
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 5:30 AM, Rat Luv said:

Jasper is a good one too! I don't think there's ever been an evil person in the world called Jasper. 

Interestingly, the tag "Jasper" has often been used as derogatory name for an outsider, someone who is too unsophisticated to know how "we" are supposed to behave.  It's much less common than it was in my grandparents' generation, when it also had some racist overtones.  In detective novels in the early half of the 20th century, the "jasper" was the unnamed thug that the police hauled in as one of the "usual suspects".  I find some references to all of this in wikipedia, but it's stuff I remember from my childhood too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/13/2021 at 6:30 AM, Rat Luv said:

I don't think there's ever been an evil person in the world called Jasper

Jasper was the name of Ged's rival at the School for wizards on Roke Island in Ursula K. LeGuin's "A Wizard of Earthsea"

(One of the best fantasy novels ever, made into one of the worst TV shows ever)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Interestingly, the tag "Jasper" has often been used as derogatory name for an outsider, someone who is too unsophisticated to know how "we" are supposed to behave.  It's much less common than it was in my grandparents' generation, when it also had some racist overtones.  In detective novels in the early half of the 20th century, the "jasper" was the unnamed thug that the police hauled in as one of the "usual suspects".  I find some references to all of this in wikipedia, but it's stuff I remember from my childhood too.

Oh, I had never heard that...I think in the UK it would be considered a bit 'posh'.

36 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Jasper was the name of Ged's rival at the School for wizards on Roke Island in Ursula K. LeGuin's "A Wizard of Earthsea"

(One of the best fantasy novels ever, made into one of the worst TV shows ever)

Is he evil? 😲

I've never read that...but did read this one last year! Quite odd...but interesting, a man can change his surroundings and reality every time he dreams.

9781857989519.jpg.b76fd571ade495bbefcf8e5902d507c6.jpg

The Lathe of Heaven should definitely be on everyone's science fiction bucket list. For me, the Earthsea trilogy ranks higher, though...and most especially the first one.

A Wizard of Earthsea
The Tombs of Atuan
The Farthest Shore

LeGuin wrote other books set in the world of Earthsea, but none as good as "Wizard".  It's like a jeweler's masterpiece, every word chosen and set just so, making a perfect whole. It's even better if you read it aloud, to an audience of rapt children.

female (typically but not exclusively): Aroha (love)
male: (typically but not exclusively): Rangi (sky, heaven)
either: Wai (water)

then the names can be levelled up by adding nui

Arohanui (great love)
Ranginui (big sky)
Wainui (vast water)

then can be extended in other ways

Aroha o te rangi (love of heaven)
Po te rangi (night sky)
Wai marama (light water)

i think this convention is true too of most cultures, people's names have origin in manifestations of things and/or observed behaviours. English names as well. Just that the origin of some names in long cultures have been forgotten in the mists of time

i like the telling of funny stories about how people get their names

is this man named Apollo Perelini who played rugby union and rugby league. Played internationally for Aotearoa NZ and Samoa

he was getting interviewed on the TV way back in his playing days and got asked how he got the name Apollo. Is it something to do with the ancient sun god

he said: Nah! he was born in 1969. His mum was watching the Apollo moon landing and decided to honour that accomplishment by name her newborn son Apollo

and he goes all stoneface and says: In some ways I am fortunate that the russians never got to the moon first

and the reporter goes: oh! whys that

and he goes: Because my mum would probably have named me Sputnik

then he cracks up laughing. The reporter cracks up laughing as well likely thinking: oh! man I totally walked into that one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.