Social Island, Welcome Island, pop ups that won't go away...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have encounter this issue in Social Island. I go there and get a blue pop-up on my screen. Sometimes I can right-click on it and detach it, sometimes I can not. I have to restart. The viewer I use is Firestorm. I am trying to help someone and they have one of these pop-ups on their screen for four months. She has restarted and it's still there. I thought maybe she had her home set to "Welcome Island." She doe snot. This is the pop up on her screen.

https://prnt.sc/1bc11cz

How do we remove these type of pop-ups?

• Haha 2

This is the learning hud attached automatically on Welcome Island. She can right-click on it and choose "detach". It will come back only if she returns to Welcome Island (or one of the public ones). 

If she is unable to detach it, ask her to select a new starter avatar (whilst also ensuring that she is not simultaneously standing on Welcome Island or any public version of it).

On Firestorm this is in Avatar menu - Choose an Avatar. On the official viewer it's in Me - Choose an Avatar.

51 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

This is the learning hud attached automatically on Welcome Island. She can right-click on it and choose "detach". It will come back only if she returns to Welcome Island (or one of the public ones). 

If she is unable to detach it, ask her to select a new starter avatar (whilst also ensuring that she is not simultaneously standing on Welcome Island or any public version of it).

On Firestorm this is in Avatar menu - Choose an Avatar. On the official viewer it's in Me - Choose an Avatar.

She has done those things. The problem persist.

have your friend log in on the Linden viewer. Then have your friend go to a private parcel (non-Linden).  Then have your friend detach the HUD (if it hasn't already - which should detach automatically when we go to a non-Linden parcel) Then have your friend log out. Then log in to: My Last Location

if the HUD attaches on login to My Last Location (a non-Linden parcel) then your friend will need to raise a Support Case and explain the situation. The system is borked and Linden will check it out and reset your friend  

this is all wrong as is how the old Social Island HUD system worked. The new system is as Quartz Mole says below

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, portexploits said:

Yes, she sent me some screenshots of the experiences. I saw the experience there, but the option for it to be blocked is greyed out.  Thus, it can't be blocked.

this is correct, once we are in a Linden / LDPW Experience we can't forget/leave it

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

have your friend log in on the Linden viewer. Then have your friend go to a private parcel (non-Linden).  Then have your friend detach the HUD (if it hasn't already - which should detach automatically when we go to a non-Linden parcel) Then have your friend log out. Then log in to: My Last Location

if the HUD attaches on login to My Last Location (a non-Linden parcel) then your friend will need to raise a Support Case and explain the situation. The system is borked and Linden will check it out and reset your friend  

I suspected something similar. I thought maybe she had her home set to "Welcome Island." She does not. But when I went to see her to try and help her. She does live on mainland. That can be considered as a linden parcel.  The HUD doesn't detach when she goes to a private sim. I'll bring her to a private sim, and do what you said, have her login there and see. Thanks I"ll try it.

• Moles

5 hours ago, portexploits said:

You get rid of the guidebook by toggling the Guidebook button on the button bar at the bottom of the main viewer window, as shown below.

If you log out with the Guidebook turned off, then you won't see it again until the next time you visit Welcome Back Island (not Social Island, I think).

b744ed0db2f4dadd918fe74827f34452.gif

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Quartz Mole said:

You get rid of the guidebook by toggling the Guidebook button on the button bar at the bottom of the main viewer window, as shown below.

If you log out with the Guidebook turned off, then you won't see it again until the next time you visit Welcome Back Island (not Social Island, I think).

And this is something all newcomers are fully aware of?

I suggest you fix that bug asap, we all want new residents to get a smooth and nice first impression.

• Like 8

• Moles
11 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

And this is something all newcomers are fully aware of?

I suggest you fix that bug asap, we all want new residents to get a smooth and nice first impression.

What bug?    If new users find it difficult to use the Guidebook button (the use of which is explained in the Guidebook), then LL will presumably change it, but things are working as intended.

Even if they don't read that far, I would imagine most of them will have a play with the Guidebook button at some point, if only to see what it does (maybe LL should make sure they do, by labelling it "Do not touch" in bright red capital letters).

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, portexploits said:

I have encounter this issue in Social Island. I go there and get a blue pop-up on my screen. Sometimes I can right-click on it and detach it, sometimes I can not. I have to restart. The viewer I use is Firestorm. I am trying to help someone and they have one of these pop-ups on their screen for four months. She has restarted and it's still there. I thought maybe she had her home set to "Welcome Island." She doe snot. This is the pop up on her screen.

https://prnt.sc/1bc11cz

I'm sorry. When I looked at the image and saw that it was the newbie guide HUD it just made me laugh. You can detach any HUD visible on your screen from the screen by right clicking for the menu or from inventory by right clicking the object name. The menu item you want is "Detach". 😊

• Moles
30 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm sorry. When I looked at the image and saw that it was the newbie guide HUD it just made me laugh. You can detach any HUD visible on your screen from the screen by right clicking for the menu or from inventory by right clicking the object name. The menu item you want is "Detach". 😊

Except it's not a HUD like the ones we're used to.  It's a floater, similar to the viewer's internal web browser.    You can't detach it, but you can use the "Guidebook" button in the Official Viewer to open and close it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• Moles

You have two options:

1. As instructed on the Guide Book's menu, "Click the GUIDEBOOK button in the bottom toolbar or Help menu > Guidebook".  (The GUIDEBOOK button is on your viewer's taskbar by default if you are a SL newcomer, and the Help menu is at the top of your viewer screen.)

2935b3d7c15cfeab9c333bc5d563b733.png

2. Hit the F1 key on your keyboard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

I would imagine most of them will have a play with the Guidebook button at some point

No, I can absolutely guarantee that most new users won't. That's simply not how humans work.

The only option that will have a good chance of working is a clearly visible "Hide" button on the HUD/floater itself. Even then you can be sure a few people will miss it.

Edit: In addition to the pedagogique 101, you do realize that there are people in SL who don't even speak or understand English?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

"Hide" button on the HUD/floater itself.

Indeed. it looks like a window, it should have a little _ and x in the upper right corner like all the other windows.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Quartz Mole said:

Except it's not a HUD like the ones we're used to.  It's a floater, similar to the viewer's internal web browser.    You can't detach it, but you can use the "Guidebook" button in the Official Viewer to open and close it.

ok I'll make sure I never go there then. lol I'm kidding. I haven't had any real desire to create a new account in over 12 years now. 

OTOH, Firestorm allows one to customize those buttons so hopefully if it ever "pops up" I can simply remove the button from the UI. 😊

5 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

b744ed0db2f4dadd918fe74827f34452.gif

Thanks, this worked.

• Like 4

Does this thread need an "I  keep pressing ESCAPE but I am still here!"  I remember people getting trapped on the cityscape tutorial island in 2008.  They were refusing to go through the obligatory tutorial that included running over a "cyberrat" with one of the avalable vehicles.  There were instructions showing on screen there too.  It was actually a pretty decent tutorial for me.  I didn't play many games at all and the few I did play were each pretty much 100% different from the others so I EXPECTED Second Life controls to be unique.  One really interesting point about that cityscape tutorial region was all of the textures used there were packaged with the viewer!  I didn't learn that SL was gonna suck on dial-up Internet access until AFTER I completed the tutorial and was teleported to Ahern.  At Ahern I was introduced to at least 5 kinds of "this sucks".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

They were refusing to go through the obligatory tutorial that included running over a "cyberrat" with one of the avalable vehicles.

Wow, that's industrial grade newcomer repellent! An annoying popup window you can't figure out how to get rid of is nothing compared to that.

Edited by ChinRey

20 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Wow, that's industrial grade newcomer repellent! An annoying popup window you can't figure out how to get rid of is nothing compared to that.

It honestly isn't that difficult.  Unless you're a luddite and then, that window will be the least of your problems.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

It honestly isn't that difficult.

If it can be made simpler, it's too difficult.

What we have to keep in mind is that the vast majority of people who sign up to Second Life are not particularly interested in SL yet. They are only mildly curious, they're not sure if it's something for them, they're not sure if it's worth the bother and every little obstacle is a significant turnoff. It's only after they've had some positive experiences in-world they are turned on and are willing to put some effort into figuring things out.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.