Social Island, Welcome Island, pop ups that won't go away...

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Everything that comes along, you either figure out or give up.  Or come here and whine.

The thread IS about newcomers giving up, because they can't figure out how to close a non-window. It is their first experience in SL and they say well f***k this and find another online game.

The OP was not whining, but trying to help a newbie.  If you had actually read this entire thread you would know that, and you would know some were concerned that confusing a brand new resident their first hour in SL is not the best plan for keeping them.   As usual you come here for a cheap and unwarranted shot...

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And if you had noticed, I was in at the beginning of the thread and still to this day, we have not seen nor heard of a swarm of newcomers having an issue.  Most seem to figure it out like we all figured things out.  Which has been my.point from the beginning.

But of course,  I won't point out that fact.  But you did seem to agree with me back then.  

Edited by Rowan Amore

On 7/15/2021 at 9:55 AM, Quartz Mole said:

What bug?    If new users find it difficult to use the Guidebook button (the use of which is explained in the Guidebook), then LL will presumably change it, but things are working as intended.

Even if they don't read that far, I would imagine most of them will have a play with the Guidebook button at some point, if only to see what it does (maybe LL should make sure they do, by labelling it "Do not touch" in bright red capital letters).

Quartz, I have been in SL for 17 years, and trust me, I have been through many, many UI changes. This one is truly annoying. I went to the Welcome Island, got the Guidebook, and I, too, could not figure out for days how to get rid of it. Finally someone explained that you have to go down to the bottom of the viewer to toggle it there. You have to "just know" this. So it should be changed so that you can click on the guidebook itself, as you do a HUD, to get rid of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

And if you had noticed, I was in at the beginning of the thread and still to this day, we have not seen nor heard of a swarm of newcomers having an issue.  Most seem to figure it out like we all figured things out.  Which has been my.point from the beginning.

But of course,  I won't point out that fact.  But you did seem to agree with me back then.  

They more than likely swarmed right out of SL forever with this thing, which is one reason you didn't hear from them, and the other is that most people don't go on the forums. It's only a tiny percentage that do. And those who might brave it find a lot of snark and scorn and then back out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well I was young and stupid back then.  I also had only tried it with the SL viewer.  I'll keep my agreement reaction for you and raise you a confused.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 2:33 AM, portexploits said:

I have encounter this issue in Social Island. I go there and get a blue pop-up on my screen. Sometimes I can right-click on it and detach it, sometimes I can not. I have to restart. The viewer I use is Firestorm. I am trying to help someone and they have one of these pop-ups on their screen for four months. She has restarted and it's still there. I thought maybe she had her home set to "Welcome Island." She doe snot. This is the pop up on her screen.

https://prnt.sc/1bc11cz

How do we remove these type of pop-ups?

For the Firestorm Viewer, click Avatar>Toolbar Buttons

You'll find the guidebook button in there and will need to drag it onto the screen somewhere as it is not already out there like it is with the default SL viewer. Click it, and the guidebook will go away. Then you can remove the button again if you so desire. 

I agree it is stupid not to just have a close x button or something on the popup itself but *shrugs*

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Did you try hitting the F1 key on your keyboard? 

Did LL try fixing their mistake?

I'm shocked to see this thread popping up again three months after it was started. This is actually a quite serious error and one that is very easy to correct so I thought it had been sorted out by now. What on earth is going on here???

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

There is a HUD which auto-attaches itself when you go there. There is literally a minimize button on the HUD, which toggles. And guess what, when you leave the place, the HUD auto-detaches. And if it doesn't, sometimes a simple right-click on it will make it vanish.

Don't know why there's such a big fuss about it. *shrugs*

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

There is a HUD which auto-attaches itself when you go there. There is literally a minimize button on the HUD. And guess what, when you leave the place, the HUD auto-detaches.

Don't know why there's such a big fuss about it. *shrugs*

The fact that it frustrates some newcomers is more than reason enough. We want to keep as many new users as possible and the best way to achieve that is to make their first impression as positive as possible. This is a point LL consistently misses.

To be fair, they're not alone in this. UI design is by far the most difficult and most negelcted part of any development project of software for public use. The UI is an interface between two inherently incompatible systems, a computer and the average human brain. A human brain isn't likely to adapt very quickly so the UI design always have to start with how it works and then try to adapt the other sideof the interface as well as possible. This is something that is very easy to forget for developers and programmers.

Still, when this thread started the HUD did not always auto-detach and there was no clear and obvious way to minimize/detach it. If those two issues have been properly fixed by now, I'm willing to tone down my criticism a little bit.

Edited by ChinRey

41 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Still, when this thread started the HUD did not always auto-detach and there was no clear and obvious way to minimize/detach it. If those two issues have been properly fixed by now, I'm willing to tone down my criticism a little bit.

I think that the big problem was with people using Firestorm instead of the standard new-user pathway of signing up, downloading the LL viewer and automatically being sent to the starter places.

It's similar to the old posts where non-new people were posting that, "The new user experience is horrible! Everyone's a cloud!" because they were signing up with Phoenix and the new user areas weren't set up to allow Phoenix to create the preshus, preshus  bridge so people using it didn't' rezz.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I think that the big problem was with people using Firestorm instead of the standard new-user pathway of signing up, downloading the LL viewer and automatically being sent to the starter places.

Well, if it's a Firestorm only problem now, it should be fixed by the Firestorm developers of course.

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Well, if it's a Firestorm only problem now, it should be fixed by the Firestorm developers of course.

Someone this has happened to needs to file an FS JIRA then. It will get fixed that way IF it is an FS issue.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/file_a_jira

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

Nothing has changed since this thread started.  If you use Firestorm you need to drag the Guidebook from Toolbar Buttons menu to the bottom buttons on the screen, as mentioned a few times here.  Firestorm would need to make the Guidebook a default button on the bottom, like the SL viewer.  There's really no reason to do that, since most real newbies start with the SL viewer.  The other method to close the guidebook is use the Help menu > Guidebook.  FS does not list the Guidebook there.  I suppose they could add it as a "fix".  

Pressing F1 while the guidebook is the active floater is not obvious to most, plus there is no border change in the Guidebook floater that tells you it is the active window, unlike all MS windows and FS windows - because it's a floater and not a window and it's not a HUD.   The guidebook also does not mention using the F1 key.  So if you use Firestorm to enter the Welcome Island you better search for this topic to keep up with floater technology.

SL isn't going to provide instructions for using the Firestorm viewer, and FS isn't going to add a Guidebook default button to accommodate the experienced FS user that makes a new Alt.  So we have a draw.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

Ok, there's literally 5 pages of absolute nonsense when the the solution is so stupidly simple. This is why aliens won't visit us.

Just replace it with a HUD that has an x in the corner. 

Easy peasy.

edited for clarification for obvious reasons: the "x" is universally known on the internet as the button you press to close something.

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris Nova said:

This is why aliens won't visit us.

We are already here...

72323cfb9e81c25235a67727a1893609--ancien

• Like 1

ChinRay :

Thanks for ya help on this:  had that guidebook up for three days, the INSRUCTIONS don't seem ta apply on Firestorm. 

I find it ridiculous that folks be arguing it is unreasonable ta ask ta put a dang "X" in the top left ta close the window somehow be like askin for the moon and stars. 

It shoulda been in there is the first place. Like every window ever since 1998.

Just like designers who don't put "X" in the HUD's making users goin inventory to remove a HUD, or right click detach. Pretty dumb design.

Anyone claiming it isn't just dumb design, might be kinda dumb themselves ina special triflin way.

Anyhow thanks for the F1 tip, it was only thing workin to get rid of this.  

Edited by CharRiffi
Spelling
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CharRiffi said:

ChinRay :

Thanks for ya help on this:  had that guidebook up for three days, the INSRUCTIONS don't seem ta apply on Firestorm. 

I find it ridiculous that folks be arguing it is unreasonable ta ask ta put a dang "X" in the top left ta close the window somehow be like askin for the moon and stars. 

It shoulda been in there is the first place. Like every window ever since 1998.

Just like designers who don't put "X" in the HUD's making users goin inventory to remove a HUD, or right click detach. Pretty dumb design.

Anyone claiming it isn't just dumb design, might be kinda dumb themselves ina special triflin way.

Anyhow thanks for the F1 tip, it was only thing workin to get rid of this.  

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind the next time I try to script something. Too bad my brain won't wrap itself around LSL due to TBI. Oh well. Customers don't seem to mind not having that little X. Just you.

Now who's the dummy? (rhetorical)

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Now who's the dummy?

Well, since you put it that way:

• Paid developers/content creators who just brush off user feedback for their latest project without even considering if it is a legitimate issue, let alone bothering to spend half an hour fixing it.
  • Paid employees/contractors who start arguing against user/customers with complaints without even considering whether it's a legtimate issue.
  • Experienced users/customers who strongly argue against a modification because it's something that only affects newcomers, not themselves.
  • People who assume that new users are likely to use the forum to ask for help, or even realise the forum exists.
  • People who belittle the few newcomers who actually come to the forum for help.

Those are all good candidates.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Well, since you put it that way:

• Paid developers/content creators who just brush off user feedback for their latest project without even considering if it is a legitimate issue, let alone bothering to spend half an hour fixing it.
  • Paid employees/contractors who start arguing against user/customers with complaints without even considering whether it's a legtimate issue.
  • Experienced users/customers who strongly argue against a modification because it's something that only affects newcomers, not themselves.
  • People who assume that new users are likely to use the forum to ask for help, or even realise the forum exists.
  • People who belittle the few newcomers who actually come to the forum for help.

Those are all good candidates.

Insulting creators in your very first post and calling them dumb isn't a good way to start off. Belittling the people you want to do things your way isn't going to convince them to go along with your ideas.

It's also telling new creators not to bother since they haven't yet learned how to do everything, like LSL, mesh creation, texture creation, creating and scripting HUDs, etc. as if it were all easy and quick to do. 

We reap what we sow.