Social Island, Welcome Island, pop ups that won't go away...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, I was new once and had NO idea about any TPV.  I logged on with the official viewer as I would think most truly new people do.  

On 11/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, Rolig Loon said:

That should tell you something.  Don't use Firestorm as a newbie. 😏

Said in jest but true.  If you have an issue and need LL support, the first thing they do is ask you which viewer and if using a TPV,  to download the official viewer so they can help.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:00 PM, Rolig Loon said:

It's totally new code.  As I noted twice now, the new functionality was introduced in the latest standard viewer.  Firestorm hasn't updated theirs yet, so it doesn't work there.

Seriously? It took someone THIS LONG to say what should have been said on PAGE 1 that Firestorm hasn't been updated so it doesn't work there?!?!! I use Firestorm, rarely use the SL viewer. Majority of the people I've talked to use a viewer that's not the SL viewer. And that's usually Firestorm. So, if someone had posted on the first or second page IT CAN'T BE REMOVED IF YOU'RE USING FIRESTORM VIEWER, SORRY!! that would have been a lot better than reading page after page of bickering like children at school recess. 

By any chance, do you or anyone else reading this know of a viewer besides the SL viewer that does NOT have this problem that I could try? Or do I have to read more and more pages of back and forth school recess bickering to find that out?

On 9/3/2021 at 6:20 AM, BuggyDClown said:

If you still haven't found the answer for this, I had the same issue and have figured out the solution. Instead of the non-help we've got from everyone else. I will help, so others don't have this issue like I did, because it seems like it pops up for every new player that joins in the firestorm viewer. And it's most certainly not easy for a new player to figure out in such a complicated game.

For the SL Viewer, it's simple.

As it says in the guidebook itself, you just click on the "Guidebook question mark icon" or you click Help Menu, Guidebook.

But for the Firestorm Viewer, you do this.

Avatar menu > Toolbar buttons - find the guidebook button, drag it to any toolbar(the one at the bottom works) then click the button to disable the popup. 

Then you can right-click the button and select 'remove' to get rid of the guidebook button altogether if you like.

I do believe this should fix the issue, but if it still doesn't, Click Help, Join Firestorm Support Group, and ask in the group chat.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! BuggyDClown I LOVE YOU!!!! In case you're wondering, that worked perfectly! :D

As for the school recess bickerers: "It's a hud" "it's a floater" "it's simple on sl viewer" "newbies are dumb and won't ask" etc.. etc.. 

1. I'm a newbie. I'm Inteligent, I am NOT lazy, I read through the whole guidebook, and it IS helpful, as I figured it would be which is why I did read it.

2. I DID ASK FOR HELP. Before a very nice person who felt bad that nothing, they told me to do worked, sent me a link to this thread, I DID ask for help In-World. 

3. STOP ASSUMING NEWBIES ARE ALL THE SAME. Speaking for myself, I have friends and relatives in SL and was determined to be in Second Life because I am unable to see most of them due to the pandemic. And even if I did 'just join out of curiosity' my attention span is NOT so short as to NOT read helpful notecards or a short yet easy to understand guidebook. And more of us THAN YOU back and forth bickerers obviously know, DO ASK IN-WORLD FOR HELP. And in chat for help. I was so frustrated that nothing was working to get rid of that Hud (Until this kind person here posted this) that I'm afraid I wasn't very 'patient' when asking for help in the Firestorm support chat. Which I apologized for after they politely talked to me in IM and still tried to help me. 

Okay, this problem is solved for me thanks to BuggyDClown's extremely helpful post so you can continue your (enjoyable for you) back and forth school recess bickinger. But might I suggest, that for the sanity of the next person who encounters this problem and posts asking this help THAT YOU PLEASE QUOTE BuggyDClown's so they too can be helped without having to read page after page of your bickering, and then you can continue having fun bickering. 

Again, BuggyDClown THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

Edited by JoannHope

1 hour ago, JoannHope said:

I am getting tired of reading "It's simple" and "they won't ask they'll just leave" and "if they can't do something as simple as click on the guidbook icon in the SL view..." THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE SL VIEWER. I had absolutely NO PROBLEMS removing it on the SL Viewer. That helpful guide ITSELF says how to get rid of it by clicking on the guidebook icon. LISTEN UP!!! THE PROBLEM IS ON THE FIRESTORM VIEWER, NOT THE SL VIEWER. The guidebook Icon IS NOT ON THE FIRESTORM VIEWER. Teleporting to another sim that had nothing to do with linden sim or welcome island DID NOT WORK. Logging off and back on REPEATEDLY did NOT work. Resetting default female avatar did not work. ON THE FIRESTORM VIEWER nothing that people told me to do worked. 

Even though nothing they told me didn't work, I was grateful to them for trying. MAINLY BECAUSE NOT A SINGLE OF THEM TALKED TO ME -A NEWBIE- AS IF I WAS STUPID. Unlike a lot (not all) of the people commenting in this thread.

Do you really think newbies are so stupid that it didn't occur to ANY OF YOU that kept repeating "it's simple" "oh you know the newbies won't ask" or "they won't do this, they won't do that" it didn't occur to you that maybe JUST MAYBE the problem they've having WAS NOT ON THE SL VIEWER!?!! But on another viewer, for example FIRESTORM?!?

For those of you making comments, 'nicely' calling the newbies having this problem (NOT ON SL VIEWER BTW) 'stupid', obviously forgot that YOU TOO WERE NEW ONCE!!!

LISTEN UP> THE FS ISSUE HAS BEEN ADDRESSED IN THIS THREAD SEVERAL TIMES ALREADY.

RTFT.

• Like 2

1. The issue was addressed - repeatedly.
  2. After (and despite) being repeatedly addressed, some could not be bothered to read to find the answer(s) provided in the thread.
    1. A thread on a Message Board, in a section that is not at all related to getting help.

I'd list more but I just got up, am in no mood to potentially waste time and am frankly not going to be able to phrase much of the rest in a "nice" enough manner to pass muster.

The responses - some of them - were amusing if only for how over the top they were and for how much they showed that things were missed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoannHope said:

Seriously? It took someone THIS LONG to say what should have been said on PAGE 1 that Firestorm hasn't been updated so it doesn't work there?!?!!

That's not quite how it went. The LL viewer was botched too when this thread started and it took a page of two of persuation to get them to fix it. Seems they eventually did though and now we're waiting for the TPVs to catch up.

Edited by ChinRey

4 hours ago, JoannHope said:

As for the school recess bickerers: "It's a hud" "it's a floater" "it's simple on sl viewer" "newbies are dumb and won't ask" etc.. etc.. 

This is General Discussion and threads here drift.  About 1/2 of what you read in General Discussion is always wrong, half azzed, or confusing (welcome to the Internet).  That's why this is General Discussion, and not the Newbie Help Forum.

You were given the correct procedure by several of us (that means me too), several times in this thread.  Best to read thru the entire thread before going off on a rant that you didn't get the correct answer on the first page of a 7  page thread, in General Discussion, where you read and post only at your own risk.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JoannHope said:

It took someone THIS LONG to say what should have been said on PAGE 1 that Firestorm hasn't been updated so it doesn't work there?!?!! I use Firestorm, rarely use the SL viewer. Majority of the people I've talked to use a viewer that's not the SL viewer. And that's usually Firestorm. So, if someone had posted on the first or second page IT CAN'T BE REMOVED IF YOU'RE USING FIRESTORM VIEWER, SORRY!! that would have been a lot better than reading page after page of bickering like children at school recess. 

Whoops. Let me first correct what may be a misunderstanding. The Firestorm viewer works just fine at Welcome Island. Also, it does have a control that lets you remove the Guidebook floater. The only problem is, that control is not on the Toolbar by default. And if you try to follow the "How to remove this Guide" instructions in the Guidebook they won't work.

Secondly, allow me to observe that "bickering like children at school recess" is what we DO here. This is, after all, the General Discussion forum, not the Answers forum. We come here to laugh, play games, note the many ironies of life, and to bicker. But, in this particular case, a lot of the argument came from the fact that folks did not realize that the two viewers worked in two different ways.

For answers, see the Answers forum and/or the Firestorm in-world help group. For interaction (aka 'bickering') come to General D!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Ok so I am having this issue. I am using Firestorm. I did however go and utilize the SL Viewer and it was gone there but in Firestorm it is stuck. I am NOT new but decided to create a new avy and to my best efforts I have not been able to remove this damn thing. I even went so far as to relog and also made my home my Alts home. I have tried to do the experience idea as well and have gotten nowhere. It is not a bug per say but more an experience that is ment to be used in conjunction with the Second Life Viewer. However some do hear through word or mouth from friends the best viewer is FS so they use it first. My best advice....is to have them delete that account and create a new one by way of the SL Viewer and then when they have used it a few days and explored then switch to Firestorm. 

On 12/10/2021 at 12:08 PM, Photogra said:

I use Firestorm and had the same issue, I spoke with Ancient Mole and advised to press F1 and it worked for me . 

My F1 literally turns off my sound. I could not have the same outcome :( 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.