Random questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, AidySL said:

Question: do people that visit Holland also visit us for something else then weed, windmills, clogs or Amsterdam? 

Yes. My family and I visits for Vruchtenhagel and other candy 🍭🍬 last time Netherlands was before the pandemic and we had a very huge suitcase filled with licorice, stroopwafels and hagelslag. My son opened the last box Vruchtenhagel all dramatically last weekend. Dark times ahead here in Tokyo 😂 we lived a short time in Europe for work, so we visited regularly back then and he grew to love them but from Japan the way is quite a little far and he's already a little sad and even watched YouTube videos how to make some himself 😂

9 hours ago, Maitimo said:

It's George Washington Memorial Parkway. Somewhere in PA I think.

Looks remarkably like the Trace along a particular stretch in MS, between Jackson and Port Gibson. Might have been between Tupelo and Tishomingo. It's been a long time since I've ridden it. Used to go every summer.

Does anyone know a foolproof way to pan-fry gnocchi without it sticking to the pan?

I have managed to do it properly before...but I don't have a clue how I did it! Seems like it's down to luck. The other day I tried it and it stuck to the bottom of the pan, so I had flaky burnt bits everywhere 😬. I usually use a small amount of olive oil...

On 6/23/2021 at 10:51 PM, Silent Mistwalker said:

Not weird. The flavors just clash.

I agree - but I think the clash makes it amazing! You have salty ham but then sweet pineapple :P And then the cheese underneath...it might not be the best or most popular pizza, but it's the most unexpected and unique IMO 🙂 Was it actually invented in Hawaii? 

Edited by Rat Luv

23 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Does anyone know a foolproof way to pan-fry gnocchi without it sticking to the pan?

I have managed to do it properly before...but I don't have a clue how I did it! Seems like it's down to luck. The other day I tried it and it stuck to the bottom of the pan, so I had flaky burnt bits everywhere 😬. I usually use a small amount of olive oil...

It needs to be very dry on the surface before putting in the fry-pan. Pat them down with paper towels after taking them out of the water. A very light dusting of flour over them might help too.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

It needs to be very dry on the surface before putting in the fry-pan. Pat them down with paper towels after taking them out of the water. A very light dusting of flour over them might help too.

Thanks, I'll try this 🙂

2 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I agree - but I think the clash makes it amazing! You have salty ham but then sweet pineapple :P And then the cheese underneath...it might not be the best or most popular pizza, but it's the most unexpected and unique IMO 🙂 Was it actually invented in Hawaii? 

Sweet and salt do not go together for me. I don't even use salt in my cooking. It's a preservative and not good for the heart muscle.

2 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

These are must have for nonstick. I got my set at Fred  Meyers. They are well worth the price.

71NARlIF6ML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-07559-textured-nonstick-distribution/dp/B07BT1GK9L/ref=asc_df_B07BT1GK9L/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242040834902&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16904255195612097728&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032895&hvtargid=pla-486137017560&psc=1

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I don't even use salt in my cooking. It's a preservative and not good for the heart muscle.

Salted, dried, smoked, pickled, fermented .. It's what makes things not only last longer, but taste great! 

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

Salted, dried, smoked, pickled, fermented .. It's what makes things not only last longer, but taste great! 

Great way to preserve your heart before you die, too. That way you can still give it to someone after you're dead, right? 😊

1st rule of life: We all die.

Big question is, will I die around 70-80 after enjoying my food the way I want all my life.
Or will I die around 90 with diapers on my *ss in a care center, having rejected all the enjoyment of food all my life.

I prefer the first option.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2021 at 4:34 PM, AidySL said:

Question: do people that visit Holland also visit us for something else then weed, windmills, clogs or Amsterdam? 

the question I have about Holland is why it has two names, Holland, and The Netherlands, and then the people who come from their are not Hollanders, or Netherlanders, but Dutch?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.