Random questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 and hot dogs buns come in packs of 8? Serious question! 

I have asked this before.   The only thing I could think was that it was a way for bread makers to sell more buns.  The bastards. Blame it on capitalism.

12 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

"Why do they call it 'taking a dump' instead of 'leaving a dump'? I mean, after all, you're not really taking it anywhere."

I actually had to look this up because I had no smart-alec  answer/

I found this, which makes perfect sense.

"Verb - deposit or dispose of (rubbish, waste, or unwanted material), typically in a careless or hurried way.

What was your use of the word dump which is the opposite??

32 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 and hot dogs buns come in packs of 8? Serious question! 

According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council there’s a good reason for the discrepancy. For starters, distributors of hot dogs are almost always different from manufacturers of baked goods like rolls. The hot dogs are sold in packs of 10 because producers of meat (or meat-like) products selected that quantity when hot dogs started to sell at retail grocery stores in the 1940s.  Oscar Mayer, which led the charge into direct-to-consumer hot dog packaging, sold hot dogs by the pound in accordance with how meat is typically priced. Having 10 dogs that weighed 1.6 ounces each seemed like the ideal distribution of weight.

Bakeries, meanwhile, have standards of their own. Buns and sandwich rolls are usually sold eight to a pack because the baking trays for the elongated buns are typically sized to fit that number. Two sets of four buns come off the tray, which is the reason why buns are often still attached to one another when you open a bag.

These standards were created independently of one another: Bakeries weren’t too preoccupied with hot dogs when they were settling on a four-roll tray standard, and hot dog manufacturers weren’t thinking about how difficult it would be for bakeries to break from their conveyor system to offer 10 buns to a pack.

Edited by Catrie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I actually had to look this up because I had no smart-alec  answer/

I found this, which makes perfect sense.

"Verb - deposit or dispose of (rubbish, waste, or unwanted material), typically in a careless or hurried way.

What was your use of the word dump which is the opposite??

I thought that it was the use of the word "taking" that was confusing, not the word "dump". 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

I know this!

Driveway is derived from one of these: 

Stately-homes-feature-image.jpg

Specifically, the private road leading up to the front of a stately home or mansion house. You would drive your carriage along it to reach the house, but you wouldn't park it there. It would be moved to a coach-house for storage, and the horses to their stables.  Nowadays, these driveways are much shorter because we don't have thirty acres of front yard, and we park on them because we don't have coach houses and stables any more.

A parkway is named not because you park on it but because it's a road that is landscaped with trees and grass, or because it runs beside or through a park. 

GW-Parkway-04-775x436.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

I thought that it was the use of the word "taking" that was confusing, not the word "dump". 

Take' in this context denotes time. Take a dump came first which makes more sense. Taking the time to dump poop in the bowl. Taking a **** came after that so it's less clear, but still correct. Here is the explanation from a linguistics professor:

"I can tell you that the reason we say 'take a ****/dump' is for the same reason we 'take' a vacation...in this situation, the nouns poop/dump or ****are used to describe an activity occuring over a time, not the actual physical object itself. One is 'taking' the time to leave a **** in a bowl. Actually the use of the word dump really reflects how much we subconsciously understand this action, as one's *** is dumping the *** apples into the bowl. the word has simply been changed to a noun to denote the time spent during evacuation of the bowels."

Simply put, though, would be one of the definitions of the word take: 

17a: to undertake and make, do, or perform. Take a walk,  take aim, take legal action, take a test, take a look.

Leave a dump just sounds weird.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I totally hate sports with horses or other animals in it.
People have a choice to participate or not.
Animals don't.
But the question was boring, not hate. So OT.

The thing I hate about sports with horses in it is, what some owners will do with and to their horses to win..Like with the show horses, like walking horses, before they got hit with huge regulations.  Many would short shoe their horses or put bleach rags above the hooves to make them more sensitive just so they would step higher in their walk.

I  barrel raced for a few years and never raced a horse that didn't love it.. I still take out the barrels and run them, because the second I get close to the barrels you can hear them getting excited and carrying on.. So I'll set them up and run them for a bit now and then, pretty much only because they want to..  There is nothing more exciting than being with a horse that is getting hopped up as you are to run..

Sometimes I think they love it more than I did.. I have one horse named Rowdy, that would finish a run if I fell off, then come back over to me.. Some would just stop if I fell off, but Rowdy was like, gone with the wind.. hehehe

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

From what I've heard and read about Secretariat he would keep running if his rider fell off.

Lots of race horses will do that. You see it in particular in the Aintree Grand National; a horse takes a tumble at a fence and the jockey falls off and as long as the horse is unhurt it will get up and carry on racing, even taking the jumps on its own. Sometimes, because they're no longer carrying any weight, a loose horse will "win" and cross the finish line first. I guess their herd instinct takes over and they want to stay with the others. Unfortunately they become a hazard because they're no longer being carefully steered there's a much greater risk of them making unpredictable moves and getting in the way of another horse and causing another fall. There's also a huge risk of them tripping on their own reins.

However, the herding instinct doesn't explain why I once saw on TV a horse throw it's rider in a show-jumping contest and then carry on jumping by itself. It took two more fences (one of them the wrong way) and only stopped because it got confused and didn't know where to go next.

The hateful part about horses in sport is when they're whipped to make them go just a little bit faster. That practise needs to be banned from racing. The whip isn't meant to be used to cause pain, it's supposed to be used as a "spare leg" to give the horse extra guidance. It doesn't need to be more than a touch.

11 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Which sport do you think is the most boring of all?

To me, cricket comes close.

Unless it's an Ashes match (England vs Australia), and then it only gets boring when England collapse - which is most of the time, but it does have the potential to be gripping for 5 days :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.