Random questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Why do boiled eggs smell like flatulence?

O, the great mysteries of life ..

Because eggs contain a protein called ovalbumin, which contains the amino acid cysteine, which contains sulphur. When the egg is boiled, the sulphur turns into hydrogen sulphide, a gaseous compound of -- well, hydrogen and sulphur.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

O, the great mysteries of life ..

Because eggs contain a protein called ovalbumin, which contains the amino acid cysteine, which contains sulphur. When the egg is boiled, the sulphur turns into hydrogen sulphide, a gaseous compound of -- well, hydrogen and sulphur.

Ask and ye shall receive. 

You rock, sir.

Edited by Doris Johnsky

18 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Now y'all know the reason for this thread.

There's also the option of just Googling it .. But I suppose you might then just grab the simple answer and miss out on the fact that hydrogen sulphite forms after the egg has coagulated, and as such, eggs smelling like that are in fact overcooked. 

Also that boiling an egg is an elementary skill that is practically taught to toddlers - yet, people still appear to find boiling eggs a great mystery of food science and a nearly religiously divisive issue; the one true way to always achieve a properly cooked egg with the least amount of effort and with the most basic of tools is to steam them. 

The method is very simple. You'll need a pot, some water, your eggs, a pot or bowl with very cold water (ice water preferably) and a suitable tool for handling the hot eggs, a pair of tongs for example. Simply put the pot on the stove with about half an inch or so of water, lid on, until it is boiling and you've got a good steam going. Put the eggs in gently (cracked eggs go boom and get messy to clean up) and put the lid back on (it's easier to steam the eggs if you like, retain the steam, y'know) - 6-7 minutes gives you a runny yolk, 8-10 minutes a firm but still moist yolk, 11-12 minutes a firm, more dry yolk. Extract the eggs and immediately chill them (otherwise they'll just keep on cooking from their internal heat and risk going bitter due to the sulphur being released as the amino acids begin to break down).

Another thing that ought to be absolutely standard but, for some reason, isn't, is how to peel eggs - once they've cooked, crack them and soak them - the water will seep in under the shell and help release it so that it comes off easier than a stripper's knickers. You can do it under the sink too but if you've made very soft boiled eggs (i.e. how eggs should be served - fight me) there's a risk it gets all slippery and your breakfast literally goes down the drain. 

Edit, addendum: the times mentioned are for regular chicken eggs, i.e. ~50 grams. For larger eggs, such as those of ostriches, the required cooking time increases. For smaller eggs, such as quail eggs, the required cooking time likewise is reduced.

Edited by Orwar
Added addendum.

Mom's Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

1/2 cup oleo, butter--3/4 cup sugar--2 eggs--1cup mashed bananas--1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups flour--1 tsp. soda-1 tsp salt-3/4 cup choc. chips(semi-sweet).

Cream oleo & sugar-add eggs and bananas, vanilla.  Mix together flour, soda, salt and mix with banana mixture. add choc chips Bake 25 min at 350. makes 12 muffins.

22 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

Parkway is generally the name of a street in a town.  Parkway Drive or  Dallas Parkway. People drive on them.   A driveway is a part of a dwelling. When a car is stopped and taken out of a drive gear it is "parked".

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

4 minutes ago, Catrie said:

Mom's Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

1/2 cup oleo, butter--3/4 cup sugar--2 eggs--1cup mashed bananas--1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups flour--1 tsp. soda-1 tsp salt-3/4 cup choc. chips(semi-sweet).

Cream oleo & sugar-add eggs and bananas, vanilla.  Mix together flour, soda, salt and mix with banana mixture. add choc chips Bake 25 min at 350. makes 12 muffins.

OMG Catrie, I'm making these

Orwar. "strippers knickers" was funny. It made me laugh. 

Additionally, I'll grant if you're eating boiled eggs for breakfast, soft boiled is the way to go.  However, for dishes that require a boiled egg, softboiled doesn't really work. In fact my mom put hard boiled AND a raw eggs in her Thanksgiving dressing. Yums

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Which sport do you think is the most boring of all?

To me, cricket comes close.

All of them.

1 minute ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Saved that baby in my PC, Catrie

Hope you enjoy them. :)

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Which sport do you think is the most boring of all?

To me, cricket comes close.

Good choice, although I can't say I've ever watched a game.   I'm not fond of (I know  I risk the wrath of many) soccer.    You play for 90 minuted, tie and have a kickoff to see who wins.  Skip the 90 minutes and have the kick off.

Unless you're a HUGE fan, golf is boring .

Curling comes to mind. 

Edited by Doris Johnsky
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Catrie said:

All of them.

Hope you enjoy them. :)

I actually played softball and ran track in high school. And as part of my job, I have to attend football (the American version) games.  I understand the games better than some females. 

And I plan to 

I totally hate sports with horses or other animals in it.
People have a choice to participate or not.
Animals don't.
But the question was boring, not hate. So OT.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.