Random questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, AidySL said:

Norwegian?Β 

Β  Β First I'm lumped together with Danes. Now I'm asked whether I'm writing Norwegian. What is with people today?!

Angry Mad GIF - Angry Mad Nope - Discover & Share GIFs | Angry little  girls, Angry girl, Laughing pictures

On 6/21/2021 at 10:45 PM, Yosho Sirnah said:

do people act like their real life selves on SL or do people act completely different more times than not because they can?

I'm much smarter in SL than I am in RL.Β  It's part of a clever disguise.

Β 

• Like 1

Just now, Orwar said:

Β  Β First I'm lumped together with Danes. Now I'm asked whether I'm writing Norwegian. What is with people today?!

Angry Mad GIF - Angry Mad Nope - Discover & Share GIFs | Angry little  girls, Angry girl, Laughing pictures

Waiting for the next season of Vikings to know all the difference. My second guess would have been Iceland.Β 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Β  Β NordvΓ€stersjΓΆkustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranlΓ€ggningsmaterielunderhΓ₯llsuppfΓΆljningssystemdiskussionsinlΓ€ggsfΓΆrberedelsearbete.

As if anyone would have know it was misspelled.

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

As if anyone would have know it was misspelled.

Β  Β It was mostly for my own sanity's sake that I had to correct it. Ordnung muss sein, and all that!

• Like 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

At least now, I'll use the @Orwarto avoid misspelling your name.Β  πŸ˜„

Β  Β The amount of people over the years who've called me 'Orwan' or 'Onwar' ..Β I should be canonisedΒ for my patience and tolerance.Β 

• Like 1

English doesn't share German and the Scandinavian languages' habit of making long words by gluing tons of shorter ones together, but we do love to jam (thankfully spaced) nouns together as if they were adjectives modifying some cleverly-buried root word. Many years ago, my uncle sent me a newspaper headline (probably fictitious)Β that reported on the

Salt Lake City Opera House Architecture Headquarters Elevator Operators Pension Plan Administrators Board Election Eve Fracas Lawsuit Postponement

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

You eat asparagus tips.Β 

Within 30 minutes your pee smells of asparagus. How does this happen so fast???

Not only that, but why doΒ roughly 60% of folks not smell it........ and thus why do I ?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not only that, but why doΒ roughly 60% of folks not smell it........ and thus why do I ?

Depending on which study you read, between 22% and 50% of the population report having pungent pee after eating asparagus. But that doesn't mean only some people's bodies generate that smell. Researchers believe that, during digestion, the vegetable's sulfurous amino acids break down into smelly chemical components in all people. And because those components are "volatile," meaning airborne, the odor wafts upward as the urine leaves the body and can be detected as soon as 15 minutes after you eat this spring delicacy.

But only about one-quarter of the population appears to have the special gene that allows them to smell those compounds. So the issue isn't whether or not your pee is smelly; it's whether you're able to smell it. If you smell a funny fragrance in your urine after you eat asparagus, you're not only normal, you have a good nose.

48 minutes ago, AidySL said:

Question: do people that visit Holland also visit us for something else then weed, windmills, clogs or Amsterdam?Β 

If they visit Holland the answer is most likely no.
If they visit The Netherlands though.....

There are always lots of photo shooting Japanese, shopping Belgiums, Germans and French in MaastrichtΒ  so ...

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you smell a funny fragrance in your urine after you eat asparagus, you're not only normal, you have a good nose.

And if you eat asparagus but can't smell the fragrance, you will never know how many other people can tell that you just peed your pants.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:
9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you smell a funny fragrance in your urine after you eat asparagus, you're not only normal, you have a good nose.

And if you eat asparagus but can't smell the fragrance, you will never know how many other people can tell that you just peed your pants.

I've often wondered how far the scent travels.Β  For those of us that do smell it, how far away can we smell it?Β 

In other words, when I'm in a public restroom, how many other folks might know that I just ate asparagus?Β Β 

On 6/19/2021 at 4:00 PM, Maitimo said:

I know this!

Driveway is derived from one of these:Β 

Stately-homes-feature-image.jpg

Specifically, the private road leading up to the front of a stately home or mansion house. You would drive your carriage along it to reach the house, but you wouldn't park it there. It would be moved to a coach-house for storage, and the horses to their stables.Β  Nowadays, these driveways are much shorter because we don't have thirty acres of front yard, and we park on them because we don't have coach houses and stables any more.

A parkway is named not because you park on it but because it's a road that is landscaped with trees and grass, or because itΒ runs beside or through a park.Β 

GW-Parkway-04-775x436.jpg

Is that last image the NatchezΒ Trace?

On 6/19/2021 at 3:32 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

In the days when cars were novel and very slow there were roads that lead through parks; they were for taking aΒ seated "stroll"Β through the park. As cars became more common andΒ faster, theΒ traffic becameΒ heavier and these existing purpose-built roads morphed into today's highways.

Bill Bryson's "Made in America" described how many American English terms came into use and hopefully I'm remembering correctly.Β πŸ™‚

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.