Random questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Why do my students say. "Really?"  when I tell them something.

Me:  "We will meet at 5:45"

Lil Sally:  "Really?" 

Me:  "No, I was kidding.  Yes, really."

To be fair, if my teacher had said they wanted me up and ready before 6am I would have said "Really?" 😴

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Why is (or isn't) pineapple on pizza the perfect ingredient?

I love that juicy fresh bite on a pizza,

Luv pineapple on pizzas 🍕 Never understood why some people think it's weird!

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I totally hate sports with horses or other animals in it.
People have a choice to participate or not.
Animals don't.
But the question was boring, not hate. So OT.

I can’t agree more, I don’t want to go off on a tangent about horse racing and the whole breeding and dirty tricks behind it, but backing youngsters that are not even fully grown is sick.
Growth plate development of the spine completes between 4 and 6 years. Scapula at 5.  Young tb’s are backed at 2 and raced at 3. All this on an immature skeleton, carrying a rider. If they don’t do well they are discarded promptly. I won’t even mention that they are separated from the dam at 6 months. 
On top of that, if you are the stud vet tasked with the pts of a beautiful young animal who never had a choice or say in their fate… honestly sometimes I wish I had chosen a different career 😔

Sorry for the rant… this job is taking its toll of my mental health I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Which sport do you think is the most boring of all?

I don't watch any sport as I'm really just not interested.  Out of all that I can think of, I'd have to say that golf & baseball are the two worst for me to watch.  It is truly like watching paint dry.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

For the same reason that you shouldn't put strawberries on a salad that has chicken on it (just saw a commercial where a restaurant is doing that) --- for the most part, fruit and meat do not go together, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

For the same reason that you shouldn't put strawberries on a salad that has chicken on it (just saw a commercial where a restaurant is doing that) --- for the most part, fruit and meat do not go together, IMO.

Mom always put pineapple rings on the ham.  And those nasty maraschino cherries and cloves!  Yuck!!  Ham and pineapple pizza?  Not my thing either.  Chicken and mandarin orange salad?  I love that.

R29f7c48a39d6d5bee7aea2aa0ce5138e.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
7 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

In South America they put a lot of fruit in main dishes consisting of either meat or beans, and that's how I learned to love the unusual (according to the typical cuisine in the U.S.) combination of fruit with meat. Often a type of tomato sauce is involved in the South American dishes, and so pineapple on pizza never fazed me.

I like grapes in salads containing chicken, and even apple slices, mangos, or raisins sometimes.

I read somewhere that fruit actually helps in the digestion of meat. Hence many dishes developed in the old days (intuitively?) such as applesauce served with pork, or cranberries with Turkey, and the pineapple on ham Rowan just mentioned.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Mom always put pineapple rings on the ham.  And those nasty maraschino cherries and cloves!  Yuck!!  Ham and pineapple pizza?  Not my thing either.  Chicken and mandarin orange salad?  I love that.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of the fruit on ham either.  It makes the ham taste too sweet - yuck. 

Don't like chicken with oranges either though. 

I can't currently think of any instance of fruit and meat together that I like.  Granted, I'm probably forgetting something that I've eaten in the past and was okay with.

Side note:  While tomatoes are really a fruit, they are nutritionally considered to be a vegetable, so those are allowed on salads. 

• Like 1

A lot of berries go excellently with a lot of roasts. IMHO.
Just like pineapple. Just don't bake them and top the dish with them when you finalize it just before serving.

Drinking whine alongside with your meat is a fruit-meat combination too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Why do people call this one popular sport 'American Football', and not 'American Hand-egg'?

I just call it 'Neandertals in weird pants knocking each other down'.   Not a fan of the game.

52 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I just call it 'Neandertals in weird pants knocking each other down'.   Not a fan of the game.

Some players in college who never make it to the pros (like 99% don't) have become world renowned doctors, head of Universities,  too many others to be mentioned.   

For some it's a way to get an education that sustains them their entire life.

Neanderthal is a bit harsh.  

Pineapple on pizza is ok, but not if it’s red sauce, needs to be a ranch or Alfredo.  Pineapple on the grill with chicken & on steak kabobs!  
Pineapple on ham yes please!

I make a really good, and the standard on if it’s any good is if my son will eat any of it is a grilled chicken that I baste in a sauce I made up.  It’s strawberry jam/preserves but now probably a real fruit spread instead of a jam (needs to be chunky with seeds) mixed with sriracha!   Can add some chunks of bell pepper & onion with it, too.  Used to serve over rice, but now with my CICO & lower carb food regime would need to be zoodles or riced cauliflower.  Soooo goood.  

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Why do people call this one popular sport 'American Football', and not 'American Hand-egg'?

Because it goes back to the game rugby that was and is played in the British Isles.  They just kept changing the rules and techniques in the States.

Early forms of rugby go back to the 1600s.

EDIT:  Why would call it "hand-egg"?

Edited by Doris Johnsky

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Side note:  While tomatoes are really a fruit, they are nutritionally considered to be a vegetable, so those are allowed on salads. 

One salad I really like in summer is watermelon, orange, red onion, cucumber, avocado and butter beans, drizzled in lime juice :P 

I agree that strawberry and chicken doesn't sound that appetising!

10 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Why would call it "hand-egg"?

Because the players mostly use their hands to transport the obviously egg-shaped object from one side of the field to the other to score points, quite in contrast to the game of football in the rest of the world, where the ball-shaped object is transported mostly through touching it with the foot. The actual ball shape also helps a lot in making it roll across the field more efficiently. Also, hand-egg sounds delightfully un-macho, in stark contrast with the overly militaristic, and aggressive-looking protective gear in which the American Hand-Egg players are clad.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you had a chance to change your name in SL without restrictions (but just once), what would your new name be, and why would you choose that name (if not obvious)?

I have to chew on that for a bit before I answer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.