Are We Ever "Too Old" For Something?

JanuarySwan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

Yes, this is true in regards to certain issues with endurance.  After I started the thread, I realized I should have had the title read "are we ever too old for a type of fashion".  

Oh, well in that case, I sure hope everyone is to old to wear this type of fashion again:

027e45db35644b0fc8ff611c829a1eb9.jpg

• Haha 5

54 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

Yes, this is true in regards to certain issues with endurance.  After I started the thread, I realized I should have had the title read "are we ever too old for a type of fashion".  

I was just thinking I should come back and be completely honest. Yes, you can be physically too old for something as my body has been letting me know over the past 10 years or so. Quite adamantly, too, at times, I might add. 

Me: I'm gonna do THIS today!

JMQ0ke.gif

My body: Oh HELL NO! *stabs you with pain*

d271f63bb4878bb86bc03a5d24d35b8e.gif

Me: OW! OW! OW! OK! OK! OK! I won't do it!

6f98ca19759ea537c7416a8a9bc3969d.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

That's totally up to you. I find that the advantage of getting older is precisely that you care less and less about what others think. And you don't have to be blunt or rude about it, you don't have to say "f*ck the world. At least that's not my style. I love my fellow man, I love my neighbors. But I don't have to own the same car as them.

Further, I thinks it's a matter of style and self consiousness. Apart from the physical discomforts that can come when growing older, age is such a relative matter. I mean, there are young people who conduct old and there are old people who stay young at heart. If you like to dress in a certain style and you are wondering if you are to old for that, just ask yourself: Am I feeling comfortable wearing this? (Not what will the others think). Is this me? If the answer is Yes, go for it! Wear it with style and with your head held high. Attitude and self consiousness in a positive way, that's what it's all about. 

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 2

Sometimes I get shamed for being too childish or liking things not meant for my age bracket. I expressed this to a friend, and he said something, that really stuck with me; "I think it's more immature for people to be calling you immature just for liking stuffed animals" (or something along those lines)

My room is decorated like a kid's, and it doesn't have to do with anything other than I just like the aesthetic? I like stuffed animals and I like dressing cute and I love cartoons. It's a shame some people are so miserable with themselves they have to hate on me for...just existing, I guess? 

So no. Physically maybe if your body can't keep up with you...but at my old job I had an 80 year old patient telling me about her skydiving trip so I guess as long as you're capable and wanna do the thing, do it. 

I don't think you're too old to enjoy things that genuinely bring you joy. Of course lines have to be drawn somewhere, like if you're 47 and really wanna get int hat McDonald's playpen you should probably not do that because you're gonna scare some kids and parents. But if you wanna get Happy Meal just for that cute toy, do it. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2021 at 9:59 PM, JanuarySwan said:

A tulle skirt.  I like a lot of the colors...not sure of color.  

Here are some of the current styles to choose from...there are others things I'd need to go with it...but I think a chunky knit hand- made looking sweater, short boots and black tights is what I would wear with it.  The first picture is really the one I want...but it comes in many colors.  I'm not sure I'd wear sneakers with it though.  A corset maybe (no just kidding - probably look like Madonna>)

skirt.png

ruf3.jpg

ruf011.jpg

On 1/12/2021 at 10:20 PM, JanuarySwan said:

Okay!

Here is another picture.  Not too old for cute cat tops either, I hope. 

skirt6.jpg

On 1/13/2021 at 9:37 AM, JanuarySwan said:

I think it's supposed to look a bit ombre.  The dye may not take evenly on Tulle or else it's the light.  There are all kinds of colors though, even black.

Here's two more photos.  Maybe with sneakers it's looks okay too but I think I would wear tights and short boots and a sweater. 

skirt2.jpg

skirt4.jpg

My 16 year old daughter says if you arent gonna wear them, she will. My wife echoed that statement.. 
Wear what makes you happy, i wear Tye Dye and Hawaiian print shirts all the time. Just ordered a pair of Tye DYe crocs. I am 47 years old. 6'3" 375 lbs. Go ahead, laugh at me, i double dog dare ya. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, nyahrou said:

Sometimes I get shamed for being too childish or liking things not meant for my age bracket. I expressed this to a friend, and he said something, that really stuck with me; "I think it's more immature for people to be calling you immature just for liking stuffed animals" (or something along those lines)

My room is decorated like a kid's, and it doesn't have to do with anything other than I just like the aesthetic? I like stuffed animals and I like dressing cute and I love cartoons. It's a shame some people are so miserable with themselves they have to hate on me for...just existing, I guess? 

So no. Physically maybe if your body can't keep up with you...but at my old job I had an 80 year old patient telling me about her skydiving trip so I guess as long as you're capable and wanna do the thing, do it. 

I don't think you're too old to enjoy things that genuinely bring you joy. Of course lines have to be drawn somewhere, like if you're 47 and really wanna get int hat McDonald's playpen you should probably not do that because you're gonna scare some kids and parents. But if you wanna get Happy Meal just for that cute toy, do it. 

To clarify I was saying you are never too old for anything. You are limited only by what your body and mind are capable of or are not capable of, as the case may be. 

I can still dance. I just don't have the flexibility, extension or elevation I once had simply because my body has grown old(er), not my mind. I'm over 60, have stuffed animals on my bed and I even still talk to them as well as my cat. I talk to animals and plants and things more than I talk with people. Sometimes they (the real animals not the stuffed ones) talk back and all is right with the world. 🥳

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sometimes they (the real animals not the stuffed ones) talk back and all is right with the world.

I talk to Ralph, the stuffed cat who has sat on my bed for the past 40+ years, regularly.  When he decides to get talkative too, I'll know I am too old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I talk to Ralph, the stuffed cat who has sat on my bed for the past 40+ years, regularly.  When he decides to get talkative too, I'll know I am too old.

No, no. That's when the fun begins! That's when you get to be a kid all over again. Now gimmie back my Legos and Hot Wheels I'ma build us a giantnormous race track! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

No, no. That's when the fun begins! That's when you get to be a kid all over again. Now gimmie back my Legos and Hot Wheels I'ma build us a giantnormous race track! 

You only get your toys back if you put on pants! Those little cars are sentient toys, like from the "Toys"/"Cars" movies.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Stuffed cat as in, a plush toy, or a stuffed cat?

E86A023A-0B0F-4BD8-A8C5-5E6187D79BBF.jpeg.69b9b42d885dd3ce98a24ee665f7739a.jpeg

Ralph is a high end "toy". My kids gave him to me for Christmas back in the 80s, and he has been on the bed ever since. A trusted silent companion. 

OK, so not 40+ years.  More like "about 40" years. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
I can't count.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You only get your toys back if you put on pants! Those little cars are sentient toys, like from the "Toys"/"Cars" movies.

Fine with me! I wasn't allowed to wear pants the first go round until I was in junior high! And my Hot Wheels are the oooold original ones that were made from metal. So there! 🤭

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Fine with me! I wasn't allowed to wear pants the first go round until I was in junior high!

Same here, though in 5th and 6th grade we could wear pants on days we were going on field trips - though I never understood the reasoning for that decision, and what made going on field trips different than the regular days we were running around the playground and spinning around on bars in our dresses and skirts.

49 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Same here, though in 5th and 6th grade we could wear pants on days we were going on field trips - though I never understood the reasoning for that decision, and what made going on field trips different than the regular days we were running around the playground and spinning around on bars in our dresses and skirts.

My mother wouldn't allow it. Not the schools. The schools were fine with it in the 60s and 70s.

Never caring what others think is a luxury of getting older. Relish that thought.

Generally speaking, visually eccentric people can be more interesting and more fun to be around than fashion age conscious stereotypes.

I think I stopped caring in my twenties. And I've never been a victim of fashion since.....

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

To clarify I was saying you are never too old for anything. You are limited only by what your body and mind are capable of or are not capable of, as the case may be. 

I can still dance. I just don't have the flexibility, extension or elevation I once had simply because my body has grown old(er), not my mind. I'm over 60, have stuffed animals on my bed and I even still talk to them as well as my cat. I talk to animals and plants and things more than I talk with people. Sometimes they (the real animals not the stuffed ones) talk back and all is right with the world. 🥳

I think I'd get along with you IRL well based on this little bit of info :,)

I do talk to my stuffed animals well, as well as most inanimate objects including apologizing when I drop or accidentally mistreat something.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 12:46 PM, JanuarySwan said:

I'd like to know if anyone has ever felt that there comes a time when we are just "too old" for something.  I am pondering a dilemma in real life regarding a fashion I'd like to wear because I feel I just may be too old and other's would laugh at me.  So, to put it simply, I'm bothered because I don't want to be laughed at.  So, are we ever too old for something?  Is carpe diem for one and all no matter what age?  Is the world not my oyster too?  Or, at a certain age, does that oyster and carpe diem extend only to youth?  I also feel stupid for pondering carpe diem as I'm not going to be here forever for one thing.  Yet, I hesitate.  

The thing about fashion is this... You have the confidence to carry it off and then not one person will laugh, they will say damn that old lady rocked that outfit... If it makes you happy do it.  The hell with everyone else.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nyahrou said:

I think I'd get along with you IRL well based on this little bit of info :,)

I do talk to my stuffed animals well, as well as most inanimate objects including apologizing when I drop or accidentally mistreat something.

We do seem to share a certain respect for all things both animate and inanimate. 👍

• Like 1

It’s tricky buying clothes these days,

I’m at a funny age.

I’m too old for a mini-skirt,

Although they’re all the rage.

I’d like to wear a sparkly dress,

To make me feel all glam,

But would it only make me look

Like mutton dressed as lamb?

If I dress all in leopard print,

Will I look hip and smart?

Or will I just look desperate?

A lonely, sad old tart.

If I wear leather trousers,

Will I look sexy and cool?

Or will people just think I am

An absurd, ageing fool.

There are lots of celebrities

Who look good for their age,

I’ve seen them in the magazines,

They smile from every page.

But they’ve all got a stylist,

A surgeon on speed-dial,

A trainer, and a dentist

For that perfect, veneered smile.

I can’t compete with them,

I don’t have that sort of money.

I tried Beyoncé’s hairstyle,

But it made me look funny.

To hell with those young models

In the fashion magazines!

All posing in their skimpy tops,

And posh designer jeans.

I’m going to wear what I like,

Who cares what people think!

Blue platform shoes, red hotpants,

And my hair dyed shocking pink!

I’m too young for a twin-set,

And elasticated trews,

I’m not ready for blue-rinsed hair,

And frumpy, laced-up shoes.

Why should I look ‘appropriate’,

With hair up in a bun?

I’m not old yet.

Let’s get dolled up, and go out and have fun!

• Like 3

The irony of asking a group of people embracing a range of ages from 20's to I will not hazard a guess...but you get what I am saying.... who inhabit a virtual world playing dress up with virtual barbie dolls if you are too old for something...

The skirt is gorgeous!  I hope you buy one.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.