Oh my Gawd! - Totally unOfficial Pet Peeve Thread.

Sassy Kenin

Just now, Solar Legion said:

And what I said is that they do not need an excuse.

One more time. I never said they NEED AN EXCUSE just that they are LOOKING FOR ONE.

If you want a fight, go pick apart someone else's innocent post. I'm not interested in having to explain and/or defend every little thing I say all the time. 

PEEVE: People who constantly nitpick at the littlest unimportant details.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Bare faced hypocrites who cosplay trans identities for the secs and then wash their hands of the shame by trying to minimize the visibility and lived experiences of actual trans people.

omg you're so right. You saying this and some clues I had from past interactions rolling around in the back of my mind. Yes!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

No, nothing needs to be weighted. At all. Not if they ever decide to shut the forum down.

As a general comment: I am very aware that this thread could also end up axed ... and right now? I don't really care. I'm more than fed up with this BS.

Sadly true. I forgot there's a few off site blogs and such on how to fix your avatars and such and some other parts could be part of a static Q&A thing.

Mboards no matter who they belong to always get discussions like what's going on here atm.

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

One more time. I never said they NEED AN EXCUSE just that they are LOOKING FOR ONE.

If you want a fight, go pick apart someone else's innocent post. I'm not interested in having to explain and/or defend every little thing I say all the time. 

PEEVE: People who constantly nitpick at the littlest unimportant details.

No fight being picked here, nothing to explain - at all.

You said they were looking for an excuse, I said they do not need one - meaning they do not need to even be looking. That is the beginning and end - you're looking far too deeply into the response(s).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Meanwhile... Peeve: Why some stores lack cashiers. One where we're at has only self check-outs and seen some get lost since they don't know or prefer the old-school method.

My local pharmacy, and my grocery store (both owned by the same parent company, Loblaws) have started reducing the number of check-outs with actual employees, and are trying to herd customers into the self checkouts instead.

I absolutely refuse to use these. The company is trying to increase profit margins by firing employees and downloading the cost of checkouts onto the customers, who now have to do the work that was once done by (poorly paid) employees. If they want me to do their work for them, they can compensate me by reducing the prices on the things I've purchased. AND I want to deal with real people, thank you very much.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Meanwhile... Peeve: Why some stores lack cashiers. One where we're at has only self check-outs and seen some get lost since they don't know or prefer the old-school method.

I used one of those the other day when the cashier lineups were pretty long. Once I got the hang of it I was through pretty quickly. Thinking with the labour shortages being experienced, this is a good way to compensate for a shortage of cashiers.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My local pharmacy, and my grocery store (both owned by the same parent company, Loblaws) have started reducing the number of check-outs with actual employees, and are trying to herd customers into the self checkouts instead.

It was a Loblaws here too. I don't mind using a self-check for a couple items, but if more then that I want to be paid wages!

• Like 2

Peeve.  The thought that people bickering might lead to the loss of a whole forum including innocent word games and fun listening/watching topics with things I might not have otherwise heard/seen.  Also the land forum which has actual things about SL in it, though I admit I go to the above topics first. :/ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Peeve.  The thought that people bickering might lead to the loss of a whole forum including innocent word games and fun listening/watching topics with things I might not have otherwise heard/seen.

Well that's true, and I've actually learned of some interesting books and movies from you!  But don't you care what has been done to these transgender people? They really have it tough in society and it's not fair that we just erase them.  Quite a few were very open about themselves on that thread, and it's like the side won that wanted to erase them.  Don't you care about that too, or do you just care about your pleasure?

The forums exist because, at various points in the evolution and development of SL, Linden Lab determined that they were in one or more ways contributed to the viability, function, and appeal of their primary product, Second Life. In other words, they contribute to the bottom line, the profitability of their platform, in part by fostering community, and in part by offloading tech support onto the shoulders of helpful volunteer residents.

They do not exist to provide me with a platform to talk about trans rights or women's rights. But they also do not exist to support fun word games. They exist to make money.

When and if LL decides, after a cost-benefit analysis, that the forums are no longer financially beneficial, they will disappear.

That's how capitalism works.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am a very tenacious sealion, Arielle.

I was thinking the other day how remarkably predictable some are with their respective viewpoints and do I daresay agendas, wherein the only fresh insights we see on similar threads are those from people who have never commented on a particular topic. Rather a pity that opinions seem to crystalize to such a degree that nothing new gets in to change  previous views and I blame that mostly on white knighting codeps who have this overpowering need in the name of supposed empathy to insert themselves into every conversation, regardless if they actually experience or have personal experience with the particular topic.

My pet peeve to stay on topic is at myself for allowing self to again get baited into arguing with the same persons who I know will not ever allow a differing viewpoint to enter their narrative. Some surely are tenacious sealions in that regard.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well that's true, and I've actually learned of some interesting books and movies from you!  But don't you care what has been done to these transgender people? They really have it tough in society and it's not fair that we just erase them.  Quite a few were very open about themselves on that thread, and it's like the side won that wanted to erase them.  Don't you care about that too, or do you just care about your pleasure?

Please don't make accusations based on nothing.  One topic being deleted does not of itself eliminate any kind of people from the public view; that's the realm of totalitarianism, and I don't believe the forum is in such a state.  I'm not going to argue about this with you.  That's what my peeve was about, after all. :/ 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But don't you care what has been done to these transgender people? They really have it tough in society and it's not fair that we just erase them.  Quite a few were very open about themselves on that thread, and it's like the side won that wanted to erase them.  Don't you care about that too, or do you just care about your pleasure?

Just stop it.  Just because someone prefers to stay out of contentious threads doesn't mean they don't care, ffs.   It's exactly that kind of response that I and many others, hate making it my peeve of the day.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Dyna Mole said:

A mild reminder about the obvious: When threads go off the rails, it's usually because they have gone off topic or because disagreements have become personal. Once a thread is closed, it's time to move on. 

you-timing-is-perfect-right-time.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

OFGS! Let it go! Yes because she likes simple word games to pass the time on a forum means that she only cares about herself and not transgender people. Just stop now Luna.

Today's Peeve:   Was expecting lots of kids for Halloween, especially after last year, so we bought lots of candy.  The doorbell rang 5 times, for a total of about 15 kids.  Literally the lowest Halloween activity we've ever seen in this house - and we've been here about 23 years.  Now we have tons of candy that we'll have to pawn off onto our neighbors.

• Haha 1

Does anyone actually know what a pet peeve is? The meaning has gotten lost somehow. Just because something bothers you or you can't have or do something doesn't mean it's a pet peeve. 

Example of a pet peeve: The barista always  pours the milk in my coffee with her little finger up in the air.

Not an example of a pet peeve: The barista spilled my milk today and it didn't get in my coffee.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Does anyone actually know what a pet peeve is? The meaning has gotten lost somehow. Just because something bothers you or you can't have or do something doesn't mean it's a pet peeve. 

Example of a pet peeve: The barista always  pours the milk in my coffee with her little finger up in the air.

Not an example of a pet peeve: The barista spilled my milk today and it didn't get in my coffee.

image.png.c8c0df59e78d04ef4dba773cdfe9c418.png

Also, it has been generally accepted that this thread can be about Peeves in general, not just Pet Peeves.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1