What kind of skills you learned fro SL?

Zzevir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm in the middle of designing my (start trading next year) RL company logo and product labels. What I'm able to do myself (saving money ) as I learned a lot thanks to this forum. 

When I edited my pictures for the "look how pretty my avatar" topics. Even when most didn't hit the standard what I would post.  

So what did you learned? Or did you learned something? 

• Like 4

I learned to build and texture a bit. I was never a professional but I made some skyboxes for friends, helped with a club interior and sold some loudspeakers to a reggae promoter :)

I also did basic scripting - just things like random colour changing lights, random chat announcements, water particles etc. Forgotten most of it now. Also went to Japanese classes before it was common to find tutorials on Youtube. And I learned to host SL events but some people would disagree ;)

• Like 4

I learned how to make textures for furries,  typically content creators were not and have not been very forth coming, so kinda do my own thing and work either the next skin or face texture in with the original.    but as of now. I'm working on some new skunk colors for lusk. so I've got that.  and oh.  hm I know how to make a pretty prim pretty?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zzevir said:

So I'm in the middle of designing my (start trading next year) RL company logo and product labels. What I'm able to do myself (saving money ) as I learned a lot thanks to this forum. 

When I edited my pictures for the "look how pretty my avatar" topics. Even when most didn't hit the standard what I would post.  

So what did you learned? Or did you learned something? 

That's great!  I probably with my Photoshop skills now could make invitations for real life or all kind of graphic thingies.

What I really did learn here is it far, far easier to make my Shabby Chic furniture in real life than it is on a computer.  Far, far easier in real life.  

Sometimes in real life I could make beautiful things with just a needle and thread.  You cannot do that on a computer.  It's way more difficult to make things on the computer.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

My first avatar is about to turn 14 years old in SL and my greatest accomplishment and skill...I can make a box!  Still struggle to walk through doors though!  #makedoorsphantom

Snapshot_001 bmn.jpg

You should take the advanced course, " How to turn your box into a board".  I just aced it and can build an amazing wood textured board that's great for rezzing things on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

i will say the skills i have learned in sl are mostly social and artistic. 
in the social aspects: i have learned how to deal with stress, problems, and applying those situations that could be seen as "drama" or personal issues into a healthy manner and growing from them!
in the artistic aspects: i have learned about character design, color theory with those designs, and how to make things in my style in sl when it comes to avatars or photography.

• Like 4

Talking about skills which could be used outside of SL - my picture editing skills got better, my English as well. I learned A LOT about 3d and making game assets, and what makes a good one (it is still work in progress). Some things about map/level/landscape design. 

I am better at saying "no" to people without feeling guilty about it. More comfortable approaching strangers and better at small talk. 

Also, I learned to pay more attention to my surroundings in RL by exploring SL. Was surprised to realize the difference in the way I look at things now while venturing outside for the 1st time after a lockdown. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not necessarily learned in SL, but as a consequence of SL. I wanted to learn how to photoshop my avatar, which dumped me headfirst into photoshop and I’ve worked my tail off. It is now something I’m certified in and utilizing at my current RL place of employment 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:33 PM, Zzevir said:

What kind of skills you learned from SL?

I don't think i got any unique knowledge/skills from it. Already had studied Turbo Pascal, C++, Delphi, CorelDraw5 and 3DStudio4 (although never followed such occupation) 12 years before i started playing SL so LSL scripts and textures wasn't what i would call a "new skill". In regards to the business aspect, already worked as a manager in RL so applying some of that knowledge in SL made everything easier both financially and in regards to time management.

For me SL started as an online chat/game with funny 3d avatars that i randomly found back in 2009 and i could use it to spend some time interacting with people from all around the world while being at home and remained like that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.