Next theme teaser (after the stilts!)

Claire Atheria
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

It would be nice to have other options.  I'm sure there is a good reason why they don't do it that way, but I always thought having a mole store on the MP would be a convenient way to distribute premium content.  

I find it useful to have all of the content packs, regardless of which theme I am currently occupying, as some are more complete than others, and in many instances, textures for one work well with another.  I recently spent a couple of days grabbing homes from each theme in order to make sure I have the latest of each.  It's not that big of a deal, but it would be much easier if they were all available from a single location.

It does not help much to have an alt ot two for me... The only thing the alt can send me is the textures, but not objects like the lilies in the Log Home content pack. It is tedious to log in an alt for setting out flowers. And I can't link or duplicate them, and moving an alts stuff around is always a bit tricky.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

In my case, I am not puzzled by the theme's architectural choices.  Not particularly because I am American, but because I have no expectation that a LH theme will be anything other than a simplified, "inspired-by" representation of any one style. (I was astounded by how well they did with the Vics).  I've never heard any Linden imply that understanding other cultures is a goal of the Linden Home program.  Patch's team is small, and rather than indulging in research to attain European verisimilitude, I wouldn't be surprised if the research were something more like:  "Hey!  It'd be nice to something with a European flavor.  People really like these alpine villages!  It wouldn't be HARD to do something like them!  Let's go have lunch in Helen and see what we can find."  The Chalets are a nod in the direction of European alpine styles, not a textbook.

I have to admit that it is totally LOL to me that you would be frowny about a small American town deciding to invigorate itself by remaking itself into an alpine tourist town.    Here we have Leavenworth, Washington - it is unabashedly mock-Bavarian, and has the advantage of being set in a genuine alpine landscape with fabulous skiing.  People love to stay there in the winter, eat a little bratwurst, drink pilsner and Rhine wine, and feed carrots to the Clydesdales that pull them around the countryside in big open sleighs stocked, predictably, with hot chocolate.  Restaurant wait staff in dirndls and lederhosen.  Lots of Bernese Mountain dogs.  They know it's pastiche, they do it all with a wink, but it's fun. And it brings dollars into a region that would otherwise be, economically speaking, a little bleak.

Downtown-Leavenworth-now-has-pedestrian-

And as for the Idahoan mailbox-world, if such a thing happened, you can bet some guy in a garage in Twin Falls would get to work with his lathe to create a miniature golf course with that theme.  Idahoans might be so delighted at the attention from the UK that they would research the mailboxes in "Idaho-world" and hustle to install clones all over the place.

@Raspberry Crystal, I really hope you get a "chalet" and make something that pleases you with it.  I would really welcome a little education on authentic styling within the strictures of these homes!

I'm not frowning at people having fun! (except when they do it loudly and drunkenly right next to me :D)
I must admit that places like Disneyworld are a turn off as well, but I can stare at an old building (or a tree) for ages.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It does not help much to have an alt ot two for me... The only thing the alt can send me is the textures, but not objects like the lilies in the Log Home content pack. It is tedious to log in an alt for setting out flowers. And I can't link or duplicate them, and moving an alts stuff around is always a bit tricky.

Exactly, which is why I claimed one of each theme with my main avatar, and do all my building and decorating with it.  The only thing that my alts do is configure the parcel settings and rezz a radio prim.  Then they go back into hibernation until I decide to abandon.      

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Exactly, which is why I claimed one of each theme with my main avatar, and do all my building and decorating with it.  The only thing that my alts do is configure the parcel settings and rezz a radio prim.  Then they go back into hibernation until I decide to abandon.      

I do the same but with both Blush and Debi. It's not such an ordeal to just grab a house with each of my accounts since I'm not caring about the parcel location. But then I'm not trying to hold onto a location, so having them parcel hop to obtain the kit isn't a problem for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LunaThyme said:

@Malayaa - How lovely!  Could you please tell me where the store is that sells those Tudor cottages and windmills?

It is called Compulsion located at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Overdrive Island/106/118/105  :)  they have some lovely things, I found the store after seeing their country path at Elena's florist shop in Red Hook....

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I use my alts for Linden Home ownership, but since Lil is the primary account, she owns all decorating objects.  Thus, whenever a new Theme is released, Lil removes 1024 from the land group long enough to nab a new Linden Home and grab the content pack.  Groups can sit negative in tier for a day without any repercussions. 

LOL - Same thing said by a few.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Now I want to buy a large parcel and live grandly once more.  So much for the budget. :/

hahahahaha, I can SO relate!  I think I am finally cured of owning mainland though and now rent half a homestead sim in a lovely, watery, sailing community of sims.  Gives me lots of land to play with.  :D  It also gives any homeless alts a place to call home.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

Now that this is exposed and will definitely be abused, LL will immediately shut it down. Get ready for negative tier = instantly losing your land. 

Instantly would cause too many server issues -- trying to constantly monitor it throughout the day.  However, they may eventually put in a process that checks it at night.

12 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

Now that this is exposed and will definitely be abused, LL will immediately shut it down. Get ready for negative tier = instantly losing your land. 

Land dealers have used this from the beginning of group owned land. It's not as though this has been a hush hush thing with only a very few people realizing they could do this. It's just part of using group owned land. 

The main purpose for doing this is not to cheat on tier. It enables the transfer of land from one group into another group without having tier raised for a momentary transfer.

In fact, I learned about this when I filed a ticket about increasing my tier accidentally when trying to change the group on my land many years ago. It was actually a Linden CSR that told me about it being okay to have a negative briefly.

Edited by Blush Bravin
added about transferring land
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

Land dealers have used this from the beginning of group owned land. It's not as though this has been a hush hush thing with only a very few people realizing they could do this. It's just part of using group owned land. 

Exactly! This has been a known "thing" for as far back as I can remember, and I've seen it used in groups I'm a member of many times. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

This would also mean lots of upset landholders, if they make a typo when typing their tier donation (or miscalculate how much they need to donate).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Claire Atheria said:

This would also mean lots of upset landholders, if they make a typo when typing their tier donation (or miscalculate how much they need to donate).

True, and I've made such mistakes more than once, when miscalculating how much contribution I can remove from a group. It can get a bit tricky because of the group bonus, and I've erred by L$1 on more than one occasion. No way is LL going to start snatching land away because of something like that.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

On a different note, I don't recall seeing mentioned yet this tidbit from Patch via Inara Pey's blog:

https://modemworld.me/2020/12/04/an-alpine-touch-for-linden-homes-in-second-life/

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 10.31.52 AM.png

Hills, mountains, valleys and such ---- YAY

@Eirynne Sieyes - Jinx

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am sad now. I had hoped for a 2 floor veranda in at least one of the houses we have not seen. 😞

The Matterhorn house with a tiny room (rear hallway) where the back door is, annoyed me in the Hardy Victorian house. So a first floor without that tiny room will be good.

The Reizend will also have a lighter feeling with fewer rooms.

Who posted about using half of the house as a store? (Roleplay store) The houses that have a large, open room downstairs would be perfect for this.

Edited by Marianne Little
added a few words to clarify

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.