Next theme teaser (after the stilts!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 79 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

36 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

You are quite right there! And I am sure lots of people will LOVE them.

I prefer the Traditionals though they also may not be the real thing - which only Amercans would realize! ;)

Actually, for this US resident the smaller trad styles are a little TOO real, lol.

7 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

I agree it is not an actual German theme, but the whole SL is actually a virtual representation of RL, including the Trads and the Victorians; I was just telling a friend I have never seen a HB as fancy as the ones inworld.

I don't think most SL residents want to live in 'the real thing'.   In SL we live in an idealized body; can't fault LL for providing idealized homes as well!   People will buy up gingerbread like mad for these already cuted-up pseudo-chalets; they just kinda beg for it.

How long would I have to search in RL to find a clean, spacious houseboat surrounded by sailable water on three sides, near a lighthouse, with a little beach where there are sun umbrellas?  I wouldn't have it any other way :)

• Like 6
  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so proud of you all finally finding my teaser image!  😁 None of you have figured it out yet though. For those of you counting the themes: Traditional Houseboats Campe

Here are some of my snapshots of the new preview homes. I love the Chalet Windmill as it fits in rather well. 

Hand them over....

Posted Images

Speaking as an English person I grew up in the School House, (named for the obvious reason - a Victorian school house built onto the school for the Gaffer to live in). I've lived in numbers as well and currently I am at a No.2 which is also much smaller a number than I realise lots of people across the pond reside in. 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Nika Talaj said:

I don't think most SL residents want to live in 'the real thing'.   In SL we live in an idealized body; can't fault LL for providing idealized homes as well!   People will buy up gingerbread like mad for these already cuted-up pseudo-chalets; they just kinda beg for it.

I think there are some who do want to nitpick about how "real" some of the home themes are. I can only judge by what's said in this thread, but that's the feeling I get. I agree that what's said in here doesn't represent "most SL residents". :) 

• Like 3
On 11/1/2020 at 3:04 AM, Claireschen Hesten said:

if it's not another American theme i reckon judging by the rendering it could be a first half 20th century British house

The theme doesn't look too far off what i predicted more so than the Helen place they're supposed to be based on, if the exterior wood beams were painted light blue on the bungalow style it would be like going back in time to my grandparents home

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Chloe Dolores said:

Speaking as an English person I grew up in the School House, (named for the obvious reason - a Victorian school house built onto the school for the Gaffer to live in). I've lived in numbers as well and currently I am at a No.2 which is also much smaller a number than I realise lots of people across the pond reside in. 

I just recalled my father telling me as a child what name he gave our house.  He didn't get a plaque for it though, presumably because it was too rude.

p.s. I'm at a no. 1

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Crossed paths with my edit and a reaction.
  • Haha 5
4 hours ago, Claire Atheria said:

The new theme is chalets!

That wasn't how they looked to me. Looks like a particular sort of Mock Tudor, the sort of fakery built in the 1930s with stucco and wooden slats hiding the conventional house-building of the time. So a fake of the sorts of cottage-level houses used around 500 years ago.

And I have seen the inside of working windmills. That's an unusual style of mill, came out of China, and where's the feed system?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
40 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I think there might be a problem with copyright that precludes using textures procured from a web search.  I doubt there is the same problem when photographing real buildings as a reference point.  I presume a visit to Germany was too expensive.

If you have found a photo in the web that inspires you and sit down and try to rebuild it in SL the likeness will be so slight that you will certainly not have problems with copyright! ;)

There is no copyright to a certain type of wall or a type of roof or a type of door or window! I am sure they did not actually VISIT Helen in Georgia and took photos to rebuild a special house. Some of the Lindens or Moles might have visited there for a holyday in the past though and got the inspiration there.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Funny selection of names!

Being German I look at this "German style" with a bit different eyes. Anyway Matterhorn is a mountain, Alpenrose and Edelweiß are flowers, all of them found in Bavaria or the Alps in generall ... but why "Reizend"?

You would write that with a small letter as it is not a noun but an adjective, meaning something like lovely or charming. Noone would name his house "Reizend" even if he thought it to be so

I've been to the Austria/German parts of the alps a couple of times and tbh I didn't really notice the style of houses, just that they were generally very pretty and I do remember window boxes. I was too taken with the beautiful scenery but I do remember some of the houses had wooden balconies. Im not sure how common that is. Naming houses wouldn't be uncommon in Ireland or Great Britain. Usually it is bigger houses, and usually but not always older houses such as one near me called Little Lea where CS Lewis was brought up. 

I do like the new style though. Can't wait until they are released which I think may be Spring.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I am sure they did not actually VISIT Helen in Georgia and took photos to rebuild a special house. Some of the Lindens or Moles might have visited there for a holyday in the past though and got the inspiration there.

Ummm....

georgia.JPG.880d422e7d638a7fe56d26abc9187a00.JPG

(Patch and some of his team are based in the Atlanta area)

• Like 4

I like them. They appear easy to live in. I was walking towards the first I saw, Reizend, and thought "they look small" and then walked in and just wow, this is really big. The others are even bigger. No need to add-ons for more rooms. Other than some inside walls, to divide a big room into two smaller.

I miss that no one has a veranda to walk out on from the second floor, and LL does not make many styles with that. I wonder why. The Stilt homes got nice, big and versatile verandas.

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

I always thought the moles were remote contractors.... a lab employee is a Linden.

The Moles are located all over -- in the US and outside the US.  Some might be in the Atlanta area.  Patch definitely does live in the Atlanta area.

50 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I am sure they did not actually VISIT Helen in Georgia and took photos to rebuild a special house. Some of the Lindens or Moles might have visited there for a holyday in the past though and got the inspiration there.

I'm pretty sure that I read (in one of these threads) that Patch actually said in group chat that the location was used for inspiration partly because someone could easily go there for photos.  Given where Patch lives, he could very easily be that 'someone'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I miss that no one has a veranda to walk out on from the second floor, and LL does not make many styles with that. I wonder why.

In the alpine clone town I live near, many houses have stairways leading to a small balcony and separate entrance.  This suits them well to be a B&B, but is also just ... nice. 

/me looks around for an add-on maker. 

The trouble with this approach is that you end up with 2 houses glued together, not one home with a coherent floorplan.

I really wish Linden Homes had an option to replace a 2nd-floor window in a hallway with an exterior door.  I know, LHs are starter houses, lalalala ....

just one window?

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

In the alpine clone town I live near, many houses have stairways leading to a small balcony and separate entrance.  This suits them well to be a B&B, but is also just ... nice. 

/me looks around for an add-on maker. 

The trouble with this approach is that you end up with 2 houses glued together, not one home with a coherent floorplan.

I really wish Linden Homes had an option to replace a 2nd-floor window in a hallway with an exterior door.  I know, LHs are starter houses, lalalala ....

just one window?

Maybe LL was going for a bit more realistic on the 'balcony' point.  If I google pictures of homes actually in Germany, even the Bavarian styled ones, I see very few balconies.  The few I see appear to be more of a business building, maybe a hotel or such.

Though I personally would love a balcony.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Maybe LL was going for a bit more realistic on the 'balcony' point.  If I google pictures of homes actually in Germany, even the Bavarian styled ones, I see very few balconies.  The few I see appear to be more of a business building, maybe a hotel or such.

There is a balcony in classic Bavarian houses (the ones I would think of, when thinking mountains + south Bavaria), but they are very much attached to having the house in this specific style and LL went with more like "something something Fachwerkhaus!"b3dbf3a5-6609-30d7-a388-ca615d56166c

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

People will find a way to build more rooms into already huge homes. Looks like LL made these basic and flat for add-ons.. but who can afford an add-on and more rooms on a 371li budget! 

I can! Decorating these homes is a breeze compared to old pre-mesh days, back before prim allowances were increased.

If I could fully decorate a 1024 sq m parcel with 234 prim allowance using prim furniture that was 30 prims per piece, I can (and do) definitely have a great time using mesh 1-2 LI pieces with 351LI to play with. :) 

• Like 1

Speaking of many rooms: The Alpenrose has plenty of roomes, no addon needed. Thats why its probably the one design that I like the most among this style. I just counted them: 7 rooms. Not gigantic ones, but still!

- Edelweis has 4 (but one is the big space downstairs).

- Matterhorn has 5 and seems to be the biggest overall.

- Reizend also has 5 and seems to be equally big, compared to the Matterhorn, as it does not need space to include stairs.

Edited by Syo Emerald
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 79 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.