Next theme teaser (after the stilts!)

Claire Atheria
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here''s another pic from Helen (I'll stop now lol), which is in the mountains.   I really, REALLY hope there are some home sites in hills with streams.

As for this European alpine town being in the US, there are more things in heaven and the US, @Raspberry Crystal, than are dreamt of in your philosophy :)  I know of 3 other Euro-clone alpine villages in the US, and I don't ski!  It's just a really lovely type of village to live in.

helen-ga.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Patch's latest flickr - this has got to be the new theme! The walls and wood look like that shown in the other pic.

Snowball Fight!

HAHA - I was totally wrong 😁

Edit - maybe not! the pic is tagged in his Linden Homes album:) It doesn't look like one of the ones in the reveal so maybe it's one of the other 4 more open ones to come..

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
Updated text

Just now, Nika Talaj said:

Here''s another pic from Helen (I'll stop now lol), which is in the mountains.   I really, REALLY hope there are some home sites in hills with streams.

As for this European alpine town being in the US, there are more things in heaven and the US, @Raspberry Crystal, than are dreamt of in your philosophy :)  I know of 3 other Euro-clone alpine villages in the US, and I don't ski!  It's just a really lovely type of village to live in.

helen-ga.jpg

It looks like a hybrid to me, Bavaria with a dollop of american hotdog sauce :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Raspberry Crystal said:

It looks like a hybrid to me, Bavaria with a dollop of american hotdog sauce :)

True that!  Of course, if you go to LA you can see Tudor Revivals with more than a dollop.  They were mostly built in the 1920s, and people have smaller ones in sherbet colors with showy woodwork.  Big hairy palm trees and draping bougainvillea.  Of course.

I do hope there are some exterior options in non-white/beige tones.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Actually, I'm not too worried about these being more american homes, it was the sheer brain fogging confusion of not knowing what was going on which bothered me :)

Its also much more tame, than what I would have had in mind, if someone said "picture a classic traditional bavarian house in the mountains!" Which might be good, for an international audiance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elyeah said:

Just noticed the names, found 4 different types so far

Matterhorn
Alpenrose
Reizend
Edelweiss

Funny selection of names!

Being German I look at this "German style" with a bit different eyes. Anyway Matterhorn is a mountain, Alpenrose and Edelweiß are flowers, all of them found in Bavaria or the Alps in generall ... but why "Reizend"?

You would write that with a small letter as it is not a noun but an adjective, meaning something like lovely or charming. Noone would name his house "Reizend" even if he thought it to be so

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elena Core said:

From Patch Linden inworld:

The inspiration was German, specifically prototyped after the village of Helen, GA in the northeast Georgia mountains ...

I googeled Helen Georgia and it is not German but what Americans imagine to be "German" - a sort of Disneyland version.

I cannot understand why they didn't model these Chalets after REAL German (Bavarian) or Swiss or Austrian houses instead of making an imitation of an imitation.

They don't need to travel there, just look in the web: if you google "chalet" you get masses of them. The loghomes resemble them more than these buildings.

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Leora Jacobus said:

They don't need to travel there, just look in the web: if you google "chalet" you get masses of them. The loghomes resemble them more than these buildings.

If I google 'chalet' I do find lots of things that look like the Log Homes.  However, if I google 'German chalet' then I get lots of pictures that look like the Reveal homes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Actually German houses usually don't have mames - contrary to English! ;)

This is SL, we don't HAVE to be just like RL here. :)  "Your world, your imagination!"

I think the new theme is great and if the Moles took some liberties with RL, well....why not? 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If I google 'chalet' I do find lots of things that look like the Log Homes.  However, if I google 'German chalet' then I get lots of pictures that look like the Reveal homes.

Again there is a little difference! If you google "Deutsches Chalet" you get the real thing if you google "German chalet" you get what Americans take for it *gggg*

2 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Actually German houses usually don't have mames - contrary to English! ;)

Not sure exactly what you mean by "English".  While the British English might name their houses -- I honestly do not know -- it is most definitely not common in the US for folks to name their houses.  

House STYLES do get names, but not the houses themselves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

This is SL, we don't HAVE to be just like RL here. :)  "Your world, your imagination!"

I think the new theme is great and if the Moles took some liberties with RL, well....why not? 

You are quite right there! And I am sure lots of people will LOVE them.

I prefer the Traditionals though they also may not be the real thing - which only Amercans would realize! ;)

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not sure exactly what you mean by "English".  While the British English might name their houses -- I honestly do not know -- it is most definitely not common in the US for folks to name their houses.  

I meant the British - the only country where I lived in houses with names.

I agree it is not an actual German theme, but the whole SL is actually a virtual representation of RL, including the Trads and the Victorians; I was just telling a friend I have never seen a HB as fancy as the ones inworld.

We all tend to represent the world based on our own reality, like when people talk about 'Spanish style' into decor, and I cannot see it anywhere... 

But I do think it is great LL are looking at other cultures, trying to be more inclusive. Also, the homes are beautiful, and although I am still not sure they are actually my style (maybe I need more time), I still appreciate the work that has been put into them. 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I googeled Helen Georgia and it is not German but what Americans imagine to be "German" - a sort of Disneyland version.

I cannot understand why they didn't model these Chalets after REAL German (Bavarian) or Swiss or Austrian houses instead of making an imitation of an imitation.

I think there might be a problem with copyright that precludes using textures procured from a web search.  I doubt there is the same problem when photographing real buildings as a reference point.  I presume a visit to Germany was too expensive.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, the English do often give their houses names, following in the old tradition of the aristocracy.  Houses had names before they had numbers but now it's a matter of being individual or showing love for the pile of bricks.  It used to be common for people other than aristocrats to name them after a mix of their own names so you'd get something like ValRich or PruBar;  I don't know how common it is now.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.