Inconsistent height readings

Gregorian Chant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My height slider has been at 85 since my noob days and is supposed to be appear as 6'2" or 1.88 meters but the shape editor in the LL viewer says I'm actually 7.08 feet or 2.16 meters tall.

image.png.11e970384d4d59efb695374a09a216dc.png

So I set out to rescale my avatar to a more normal height close to 6'4" or 1.94 meters.

image.thumb.png.a34c06d0443983bd0f23b288873aec06.png

So far, so good. But I have no idea why that height detector thing said something different.  So when I looked at the the sliders again in the Firestorm viewer, it tells me something different....

image.png.51c9e07efb50f7045af4b407ea71000a.png

2.13 meters or 7 feet?!

One of them is lying.

it would make life a lot easier and less confusing for everyone if Linden put the Firestorm height calculation display ruler method in the official Linden viewer shape editor window

the Firestorm ruler method might not be totally accurate but is a whole lot closer to accurate than is the Linden viewer

am not suggesting that Linden fix the bounding box discrepancy. Just change the ruler number that displays in the shape editor

• Like 1

Blush has it right. Various viewers calculate avatar height different ways and give different results. And it affects everything in SL.

Rezzing a prim and sizing it to the height you want is the only way to get it right. For my self I made the "Model Shape Tool" and then put it in the market place for others. Editing a prim each time I want to check a shape-height gets old. But even with such aids you bang into the problem of land owners that decide you must be a child if you are not 6'-0"/1.83m or taller. I prefer my avatar to be close to RL, 5'-10"/1.78m. So obviously I am a child. 😡

A number of things affect the total height of your avatar. Gadgets like the one Sire points to often aren't that good. They use the SL scripting language to get the height from the system and then adjust it to what they think is more 'real'. Depending on the age of the scripts there are things that can through off the calculation. Even then they are better than most viewers.

There are a number of SL residents that crusade for better avatars, more proportional and with similarity to RL. The League of Anti-T-Rex-Arms (no, that isn't a real group) tries to get people to make their avatar arms a realistic length... and so it goes.

Many miss the problem of the default camera location. The Lindens placed it so it worked well with the old old SL avatar. If the ceiling isn't 20ft/6m above the floor there isn't room for the camera. Firestorm and other viewer makers provided easy ways to change your default camera view. (Short tutorial) I highly recommend you change your default camera position.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.  I'm going to do the rezzed prim route and use this video as my guide for human proportions.

I've picked up a few more clues on how proportions work such as:

• The adult body is 8 heads tall.
  • FOOT = FOREARM: A foot is often about the same length as the forearm (wrist to elbow).
  • FOOT = HEAD: A foot is often about the same length as the head (chin to crown)
  • If you stretch out your arms, the distance from your right to left fingertips should be your exact height.

Oy, wish me luck.

• Like 2

there is always the classic male Vitruvian guide made famous by Leonardo Da Vinci.  Wiki here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvian_Man

as I remember @Penny Patton did some shape size modelling using this guide for both SL male and female shape. With some adaptions for female, like the head to shoulder width ratio. Females in the Vitruvian sense have larger heads than males when related to the width of their shouders. Leg to torso ratio: Vitruvian female legs are longer than male legs, etc

Edited by Mollymews
fix link
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

...........................Many miss the problem of the default camera location. The Lindens placed it so it worked well with the old old SL avatar. If the ceiling isn't 20ft/6m above the floor there isn't room for the camera. Firestorm and other viewer makers provided easy ways to change your default camera view. (Short tutorial) I highly recommend you change your default camera position.

I am old in SL, so I am so used to the default camera. I have tried to change the camera angle at least three times the last years. It feels so wrong to walk around without the default camera angle after I used it over 10 years. So I change back to default.

Perhaps the solution for me would me to move it just 10 cm instead of the radical change everybody suggests. Using that setting some months, move it 10 cm again.

Is there a quick way to load different camera placements? Firestorm let me load different graphic settings, so I have saved default, photos and sales. I change graphics up and down in quality by pressing load, select one setting and then ok.

Is it possible to save camera location the same way, without entering Debug settings every time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I am old in SL, so I am so used to the default camera. I have tried to change the camera angle at least three times the last years. It feels so wrong to walk around without the default camera angle after I used it over 10 years. So I change back to default.

The radical camera view change can be a bit disorienting when we've been accustomed to the default for many years.

This is what Eddy sees with the regular default camera (and the view I'm used to):

eddyview_001.thumb.png.823339c814ad06d4133e449eeca7ffdf.png

This is what I'm seeing with the new camera setting suggestion from @Nalates Urriah:

feelswrong_002.thumb.png.eaf76b26651e3f2231c6fa08bbbab7e5.png

12 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Is it possible to save camera location the same way, without entering Debug settings every time?

Not exactly.

In Firestorm the settings via Debug are sticky. So you shouldn't have to set them every time you log in. HOWEVER... pressing Shift ESC will reset them to the viewer's built-in Defaults.

Firestorm also allows you change the settings without going into Debug, which requires you remember the setting names and navigate to them. Tedious. 🙄

The PhotoTools provide some help. https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/phototools_camera_floater

FS also lets you use the mouse wheel and Shift, Control, and Alt to adjust the camera. Those changes are also sticky and ESC once or twice does not reset them. Shift-ESC will reset them. This video explains and demonstrates. 

Edited by Nalates Urriah

16 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I started resetting my camera many years ago. It made a huge difference for me. I was so tired of either having houses with ceilings that were the height of cathedrals, or if the ceiling was a normal height I felt as though I was going to hit my head. So when I found a post about changing the camera angle using debug I jumped on it. I did try the settings recommended in the post but it seemed as though the camera was too far behind my avatar.  So,  I made little adjustments and tested it each time walking around a room until I found the perfect distance and angle for myself. It really transformed my SL.

20 hours ago, Mollymews said:

you are the right height for the furniture and for your friend, so I think is good

The scaled down shape looks a bit too stocky for someone who is supposed to be tall and lanky.  The side effect also made the pecs poke through my shirts.  But I could see the shorter shape might come in handy when visiting a height restricted sim, so I'll hold that aside.  Looks like Greg will have to put up with back pain from bending over to reach the counters. ;)

I use the standard SL viewer for Second Life but I use Firestorm for my Open Sim standalone and for OS Grid. My avatar is the same in Open Sim as it is SL, by means of copying all my SL slider settings to OS. I also use the same skins on both, which I made myself.  I would say my appearance is very similar in SL and OS, yet the OS height reading is considerably more.  I assumed that was something to do with Open Sim, but now I'm wondering if it's to do with Firestorm. It's not a problem for me as I still appear to be in scale with my surroundings, just that there's a different value in the height readings!

22 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

I use the standard SL viewer for Second Life but I use Firestorm for my Open Sim standalone and for OS Grid. My avatar is the same in Open Sim as it is SL, by means of copying all my SL slider settings to OS. I also use the same skins on both, which I made myself.  I would say my appearance is very similar in SL and OS, yet the OS height reading is considerably more.  I assumed that was something to do with Open Sim, but now I'm wondering if it's to do with Firestorm. It's not a problem for me as I still appear to be in scale with my surroundings, just that there's a different value in the height readings!

Definitely a difference between the SL viewer and Firestorm. Both of them calculate the height from the "bounding box" but Firestorm adds a few inches, on account of the bounding box ending at about eye level. Firestorm is closer to accurate, but still not as accurate as using a prim to measure yourself.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:37 AM, Gregorian Chant said:

The scaled down shape looks a bit too stocky for someone who is supposed to be tall and lanky. 

Just moving the height slider squashes and stretches your avatar. If you make a shorter shape and also want to be thin and lanky then you need to adjust other sliders to achieve that.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I find that using Singularity Viewer is the most reliable way to edit or determine an accurate bodyshape height measurement. And surprisingly for a V1 based viewer, Singularity has the fastest Frames Per Second timings and seems faster than other viewers.

Do not waste money or inventory space by buying scripted height detectors, they simply do not work properly and have always given incorrect height readings.

I have personally experimented and evaluated a wide variety of popular viewers and have found that Singularity Viewer is still the ONLY viewer which displays a bodyshape height (in Appearances) that is 100% completely accurate when directly compared in relation to the standardised never changing ruler, the humble prim.

Be sure NOT to wear any shoebases while editing bodyshapes as this extra shoebase height is added in and displayed in Appearances while editing. This extra height can be up to 5 centimetres (almost 2 inches) of additional height when a shoebase has been set up to its maximum height. You should edit your avatar height using the height meter displayed on the LEFT side of the Appearances menu in Singularity Viewer. The RIGHT side one displayed (concerning shoebases) should be ignored.

After you have finished editing and saving your bodyshape and height, rez out a simple cube prim onto a flat solid surface and stretch this prim up to the exact same avatar height value in order to test your edited bodyshape. Then rez out a second prim on top of the first and stretch out the second prim horizontally (so to make an T or inverted L) , so that you may physically walk your avatar "through and under" beneath the horizontal prim to test your height.

If you have edited your bodyshape and the prims correctly, you should be able to walk underneath the second prim you rezzed with little or no physical resistance. Make sure you are NOT wearing a shoebase (yet) while determining that your bodyshape height is correct. When you feel happy with your height, save your completed shape in Singularity then revert back to your preferred or favourite viewer.

Once you have relogged, go back into Appearances and then re-examine how the displayed avatar height measurement APPEARS to have miraculously slightly increased a few centimetres (or inches). The bodyshape actually remains unaltered from the height saved from using Singularity Viewer. But from my experience, I've found that other viewer's DISPLAYED height adds on a few centimetres in height than what it was originally in Singularity Viewer.

😜

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Some people like to edit themselves to a specific height. Or lack any interest in an NBA career.... 

True but a few inches one way or the other makes little difference to most people IMO.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.