Does anyone act like this in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I mean, under my "Gopi" account I am almost always an alien. I have a slightly different personality from my real life personality and may roleplay as that (as Gopi I try to be more fun loving than I am in real life) but I wouldn't consider what I do "hard roleplay." I try not to act too "weird" (unlike how aliens in sci-fi are usually perceived) and may discuss real life stuff (but not all the time though), however I also mix that with some of my avi's "lore". some aspects of my real life I keep private of course.

Basically I do have a persona in Second Life that is somewhat different than my real life, yet I don't do "strict" roleplay. The same is true for most of my other usernames (human or not).

• Like 2

I dont, I might have initially but I dont 'role play' as its too hard to keep up a different persona. For me Sl is about relaxing and having fun (as me).

I didnt realise you were 'alien' like. I see your name G.Passiflora and think something botanical and smelling sweet. 

• Like 1

Just now, CheriColette said:

I dont, I might have initially but I dont 'role play' as its too hard to keep up a different persona. For me Sl is about relaxing and having fun (as me).

I didnt realise you were 'alien' like. I see your name G.Passiflora and think something botanical and smelling sweet. 

I usually don't mention it here. But in-world I have adopted an alien appearance at least

• Like 1

I did hard roleplay as a dog on one avatar. It was ruff. I had to type "arf! arf!" all the time and walk my avatar in a circle before going to sleep.

In terms of playing a personality that is not really you, I think it's not that different from the personality that some entertainers use in public. I've read that some actors are introverts but they can't be introverts in front of the camera or when promoting their show. They have to put on a personality that is not their own for their art. I'm sure a lot of musicians have to put on a different personality to make themselves fit into the genre they sing under. My point is that I think it's perfectly OK to play a character while going around SL because the virtual world is a stage where we are all performers.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

When I first joined SL, I tried to be someone else. I didn't like it. I ditched the avatar entirely and started fresh using my real first name. Personality wise, I'm the same in both worlds and I'm much happier that way. I'm not a very good actress.

• Like 5

I have been many things in sl. Its not always easy for some people to play other personalities than them self. It can become tedious and time consuming to remember the details and keep track of what you last said or did or with who and why.

Really what you need to ask is do you like doing what you do? Does it give you some enjoyment being here and acting in that manner? If you answer yes, than there is nothing wrong in what you are doing or how you are being while here.

It really doesn't matter what someone other than yourself thinks about what you do or why. You don't need outside verification or validation for what you are doing or why. If it makes sl more fun and enjoyable doing it that is all that matters.

Almost everyone wheres a mask here and portrays themselves somewhat or totally different than who they really are in rl. Even the ones that claim they don't actually do. Being behind a name that is not your birth name allows you to be more or do more or act in ways that you wouldn't around others normally. Not being able to be held accountable for your behavior is liberating to some people.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On several occasions I've created an alt in order to be a particular personality. I always revert to type eventually though. I'm good at sustaining and developing characters totally unlike myself in designated roleplay though.

• Like 2

My first av I made to be as much like my real self as I possibly could.  I made Kali to be more gregarious, braver, more flirtatious, more confident.  I learned that I could actually do those things and still feel like me. I made another alt when I was about to retire my first av.  She was meant to be even more extreme than Kali.  I gave her the name Pavanne after a song by Richard and Linda Thompson.  But in no time at all she turned out to be more like me, and not much at all like the woman in the song.  I was uncomfortable being her.  So I dropped her and made Kali the main av. I can RP a scene.  I can't sustain it longer than that.

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 3

Even when Seicher is a mermaid or a tiny plaid bunny, I am still me. I will say the bunny tends to be more playful than I am normally, but if I'm feeling that way in RL that's when I'll select the plaid bunny. I think I generally feel more stabby as my dark mermaid, come to think of it. But if it is Seicher, which I am 98% of the time, you meet  me, the person with the keyboard.

I have a few alts for roleplay, and for those I can go into a persona, but I make it *clear* that is what is going on inworld.

I distinctly do not like interacting as me with another avatar who I think is acting like themselves only to find out later that they are role playing. And that's how a lot of relationship (romantic or otherwise) problems begin and where some real hurt can occur.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I mean, under my "Gopi" account I am almost always an alien. I have a slightly different personality from my real life personality and may roleplay as that (as Gopi I try to be more fun loving than I am in real life) but I wouldn't consider what I do "hard roleplay." I try not to act too "weird" (unlike how aliens in sci-fi are usually perceived) and may discuss real life stuff (but not all the time though), however I also mix that with some of my avi's "lore". some aspects of my real life I keep private of course.

Basically I do have a persona in Second Life that is somewhat different than my real life, yet I don't do "strict" roleplay. The same is true for most of my other usernames (human or not).

My main account (this one) is just me, but my alts are like this. I don't really roleplay as such (though I intended to, originally) but their personalities are slightly different from mine and they have their own "lore" which is separate from RL. But at the same time, they are still me, or at least parts of me.

• Like 1

I don't have any particular alter ego nor specific role play even though I am a Dinkie in SL and belong to the Tiny community in SL.  Dinkies are a small cat avatar that walks upright and wears clothes but can dance incredible and about as cute as Shirley Temple.  Dinkies are tiny in size and probably go up to the average human avatar's calf.   We may use "Dinkie-speak" on occasion but we are really just "winging it" and just have some laughs and sharing music and games together.  There is no specific role play required to be a Dinkie but she is still "me".  My human is my rl persona...it's just me...average and likes to chat when I'm not building.  I see SL as just hanging out with people...if they bring a little bit of their role play anywhere it never bothers me.  

And, if by your title, are you asking have I set myself up in Second Life to have another life?  Not anything in particular like a fantasy life...no, I haven't.  I don't have the time to commit to something like that right now and/or maybe never would.  It takes a commitment, imo, to have a fantasy life here.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

I am always me, except i am entering a RP Sim or i actually agreed to RP outside of RP Sims. But even in RP Sims, i am still me to a degree, just adapting to the setting, RPing as realistically as possible how i would act and react. Once i am out of RP, i snap back into my very self and i dislike it very much when people cannot differ and mess it all up. I have a few alts ... it was a try to play a different person but that's just no fun for me. They are rotting in my inventory. 

I dislike it very much when i am approached in clubs or anywhere outside of RP sims and get emotes thrown at me, assuming i would be up for roleplay everywhere i am going. Get to know me first, get my consent, let me get to know you and then lets see if there would be any spark interesting enough to dive in. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.