Is your avatar the gender you identify as?

applevines

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I'm not going down the rabbit hole of having a female av to dress too or I will end up broke and homeless. :)

I swear that's the truth. After switching to a female body my inventory doubled in about two months, and is still rising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I swear that's the truth. After switching to a female body my inventory doubled in about two months, and is still rising.

Try that with five. Honestly that's it. I know I said that after my first alt. And yeah I said it after my second alt. Ok after my third alt I was certain. But then I had a bad day. So I loaded the Lindens and made my final alt. Really. Yes really. That's really it.

Unless I have a really bad day again.

• Haha 6

• 1 year later...

I recently just started as a male avatar and loving it! I didn't expect to do so so much I just wish I had made a whole new account up! My question is this, isn't secondlife a kind of escape from real life & we can be what we want in there? I've actually started having a crush on a female too which is so unexpected I'm bewildered & if anything did come of it I would be truthful but would want to stay in male roleplay would that be even possible? I mean I seen a few couples in there where you can tell they're alt is a female (but as male) & I suppose if the other person is fine with it then all is grand! Answer is this if you can be a mouse in SL 🤣the I don't see a problem for anything!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zara Southpaw said:

My question is this, isn't secondlife a kind of escape from real life & we can be what we want in there?

Nods , just like in every game you login and play whatever you like (*as long as you can afford to make it.)

For example i always enjoyed fantasy avatars as a kd and remember playing Street Fighter with friends as Chun-Li or Ryu, so in SL you will rarely see me walking around with a standard human looking avatar.

13_Chun_Li_Edition_V3_Street_Fighter_Art.jpg.f876bf96350f0c9477001679810fcef9.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I do have a male alt that never gets used in SL (but still has a nice little skybox home anyway) that matches my RL sex and gender expression.

And I have three TWI animal avatars and a house cat avatar that don't even match my RL species.

But my main avatar is female, and I've just created (and bought tons of clothing for) a ball-joint-doll avatar with snow-white banged hair who is also female.

So no. My SL avatars do not match my RL sex or gender expression.

But it's more complicated and nuanced than that, I suspect.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

My main (this one) and most of my alts match who I am RL.  I do have a male avatar, who's handy for dragging to events when my husband can't attend (I like couple dances, and they look stupid if you're alone lol).  Lord, the clothing options for men... sigh.  Once he reaches his goal of buying everything at Deadwool, I have no clue what to do with him next.

• Like 3

Getting a notification that someone's responded to one of my posts from 2 years ago is interesting to say the least.

That post of mine on page 1 is slightly out of date, but not as much as I expected it to be.  

On 3/25/2020 at 9:34 AM, Maitimo said:

It's still changing, though. On occasion, an item of clothing doesn't work at all without breasts, so occasionally I have those too, only as big as they need to be to make the clothing work. It feels like my avatar is undergoing a transition resembling that of male-to-female transition in RL. It's slow-paced, and varies a little depending on my mood of the day. I suspect that at some point I'll settle with an avatar that's fully female, though I am not there yet. 

This was the most interesting part to me.  Since 2020 I've stopped using the flat chest and petite mods, and now have decent sized boobs, though everything else is still as it was. As I said in another thread the other day, my intention is not to look like a girl. It's to look like a guy who's trying to look like a girl. Or transitioning towards being a girl. It's interesting that it's been very much like a real life MTF transition, even at about the same pace it would have been in RL (about two years on hormones and maybe implants).  I didn't think, 2 years ago, that I would embrace having boobs, but I like them now.

51688136264_f6b0f633b2_c.jpg

My RL identity and expression has not changed. I still identify as male, (a flamingly gay one admittedly, but still male) and I have no desire to transition or crossdress in RL. 

Inventory is still growing too.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, zara Southpaw said:

I recently just started as a male avatar and loving it! I didn't expect to do so so much I just wish I had made a whole new account up! My question is this, isn't secondlife a kind of escape from real life & we can be what we want in there? I've actually started having a crush on a female too which is so unexpected I'm bewildered & if anything did come of it I would be truthful but would want to stay in male roleplay would that be even possible? I mean I seen a few couples in there where you can tell they're alt is a female (but as male) & I suppose if the other person is fine with it then all is grand! Answer is this if you can be a mouse in SL 🤣the I don't see a problem for anything!

Well, yes. But things are never that simple when numerous people are involved.

Most anything is possible. But because you can do something doesn't you should or that it is a good idea. There are people here that have started out as one gender then shifted to another. Some play as both genders. Some publicize their RL sex and others don't. Some of them have formed emotional attachments and allowed others to form emotional attachments with them. Some of the relationships have worked and others have blown up. It all depends on the people involved. I know of no way to predict what any person will do. I believe initial honesty is always the best choice. Especially when you understand that emotional attachment is a part of play in SL that exists outside of the virtual world and has real consequences.

The idea of 'the other person being fine with it' is really complicated. Few people consider all the possibilities. It is the surprises that upset things.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Getting a notification that someone's responded to one of my posts from 2 years ago is interesting to say the least.

That post of mine on page 1 is slightly out of date, but not as much as I expected it to be.  

This was the most interesting part to me.  Since 2020 I've stopped using the flat chest and petite mods, and now have decent sized boobs, though everything else is still as it was. As I said in another thread the other day, my intention is not to look like a girl. It's to look like a guy who's trying to look like a girl. Or transitioning towards being a girl. It's interesting that it's been very much like a real life MTF transition, even at about the same pace it would have been in RL (about two years on hormones and maybe implants).  I didn't think, 2 years ago, that I would embrace having boobs, but I like them now.

51688136264_f6b0f633b2_c.jpg

My RL identity and expression has not changed. I still identify as male, (a flamingly gay one admittedly, but still male) and I have no desire to transition or crossdress in RL. 

Inventory is still growing too.

that is the beauty of second life, you do not have to be as you are in rl. You are free to become anyone and be anyone you want in sl.  I often play an elfish person ... Im obviously not an elf in rl.

love necro posting

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 5

I tried making a male avatar, couldn't manage to keep my pronouns straight attempting to RP as a man, so I pretty much only use him for driving around exploring since nobody IMs me when I'm on him asking for teh secks.

I've had a few people who know me ask for me to bring him out, but I only do it with existing friends, if I'm going to be playing something "adult" I'd rather just switch to my amazon shemale character (who is a different body, clothes to fit it, and The P, but still my account) so I can refer to myself as "she" without it breaking the scene.

• Like 4

I am MTF... to be clear I would say non op MTF some would say crossdresser, but I "crossdress" 24/7 just no plans to go any further. My avi is female, but really doesnt interact with a bunch of folx. I do have a supportive RL SO. In my ideal life in SL, I'd love to meet a guy that is female in RL and we can perhaps even give each other pointers (and perhaps more, I really want to experience things I can't in RL). I'm starting to think it's a unicorn at the end of a rainbow munching on 4 leaf clovers! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 12:55 PM, Maitimo said:

As I said in another thread the other day, my intention is not to look like a girl. It's to look like a guy who's trying to look like a girl. Or transitioning towards being a girl. It's interesting that it's been very much like a real life MTF transition, even at about the same pace it would have been in RL (about two years on hormones and maybe implants).  I didn't think, 2 years ago, that I would embrace having boobs, but I like them now.

Really interesting, Matti. I think I've mentioned before here that I had a friend (a long time ago) who created a shape specifically intended to represent a post-op trans woman. (I don't know whether it was also supposed to represent someone undergoing HRT or not.) So, breasts, feminized face, but less pronounced hips and such.

Fascinating and very cool.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Missing word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a little interesting for me; I'm AFAB nonbinary IRL, and pretty butch-looking in how I present myself, but my SL avatar leans a lot more feminine than the actual me. Part of it's just availability - I hate the popular male bodies and there's not really all that much out there for V-Tech/Maitreya Flat - but part of it is that I do enjoy fashion and dressing Someone up, just not me. Sure, IRL I may exclusively wear jeans, but I can put my avatar in a cute skirt that I'd hate to be seen in IRL. There's a safe level of distance that lets me explore more feminine fashion without worrying about people making assumptions about who I am.

Plus, heeled boots just look good, okay?

• Like 6

Nope. 

RL male, female in SL. I do have a couple of male alts to play with when I feel like being more of myself... or when I need a 'tester'... but anyway, I enjoy being a female. As far as I'm concerned, every time I TP inworld I am RPing/Cosplaying. Heck, I think that also goes for talking in Discord, twitter, MeWe, in world chat, and here in these forums.

To those RL dudes concerned about dressing SL females, let me tell ya... so much easier and actually cheap AF if you know what you're doing. I mean, sure, I pay for a few groups but some have extensive group gifts so that really helps keep my wardrobe budget down. About the only few clothes I've paid good money for are some suits and business threads, and of course some body and head upgrades (I love Irina + Maitreya).

As it is I just want to explore as much as I can in SL before it's gone, so overall I'm really not too worried about clothes... except that one can't go naked everywhere LOL!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.