While you can't do these things in real life any more, you can do them in Second Life.

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, animats said:

Here's a potential marketing direction, for about three weeks from now, when people are starting to go crazy from isolation.

(Some) people are going to lose their job, Animats or already did.  

Just the way we buy food could dramatically change and with less money because of no job as well as trying to help other family members, some sims may close.

We don't know what is what yet.

Plus a region only holds so many people.  

Also, I know my SL spending habits will change into almost nil right now.  SL spending is on hold for me now due to certain things I've stated above - "crazy from isolation or not".   

Edited by FairreLilette

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I don't think following the image exactly is necessary because the world isn't like that and neither is SL.

bruneldinner1.thumb.jpg.d38ef015a10fa862d7e1369b03537eba.jpg

Dinner at the Brunel Hotel in New Babbage. 

Not quite Norman Rockwell, but similar in spirit. In a few weeks, people will miss this in real life.

Post your dinner pictures here!

Edited by animats
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is the peril of nostalgia. We remember the past as a "better time", even though it wasn't. By almost any objective global measure (longevity, health, violence, etc.) things have been improving for all of recorded history. There are, of course, localized (in time and space) pockets of regression, but the overall trend remains. This is why I try to be careful to separate my feelings of nostalgia from my hopefully objective understanding of the past.

Also remember that the memories of your past were laid down by a "you" what was (hopefully) more ignorant than the current you. How much trust would you place in a child's understanding of the world at large? That's approximately what we do when waxing nostalgic.

It's only perilous if we try to make things better by simply turning the clock back.  If we use it to strive to achieve/strengthen/recover what we remember as "good" by moving forward, then I think nostalgia can be a good influence on our thinking.

• Like 2

A positive turning point for me was when I stoped trying to make my idealized Real Life here in SL and started building a Second Life that makes me happy.

-I’ve had my Partner for 15-ish years now and we still socialize, share “fealz” and check on each other every day. Most RL relationships struggle to make 5 years.

-I have my SL “family” (or maybe GirlGang) that in no way looks like a traditional RL family, but we COMMUNICATE, have fun and share common fetishes....

-I even have certain social rituals that I observe because they are meaningful to me.

From my perspective, “Family” and “Society” have been reinvented to suit (and take advantage of) the nature of SL.

I found my Tribe here.

If you have yet to do that, I recommend it.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29f694bfc1c15ab540a8

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 3

On 3/13/2020 at 10:01 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

Hey, that first Rockwell's a ripoff.

I grew up lookin' at this picture on dumpling night...

2379480_AuntJuliasDumplings.thumb.jpg.6aae127311e0da273cc4f1ab9fb44218.jpg

Nooo, I need the dumplings!

Norman Rockwell made his painting in November 1942, based on FDR's 1941 speech on the "Four Freedoms" (it's "Freedom from Want"). It was published in 1943. I think it's more likely that this dumpling mix, which look like it came from the 1960s, judging from the wide collar, tie, and haircut and photo qualities, was consciously copying Rockwell's painting because the company would know it would find resonance with people who knew Rockwell's iconic painting. Unless you can put an earlier date than 1942 on this photo, but it doesn't seem so.

On 3/13/2020 at 12:40 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

In the 1920's the KKK was protesting Democratic national conventions because they were considering nominating (horrors) a Catholic.

In the 1920s, the KKK and the Democratic National Convention had a huge overlap in membership.

9 hours ago, Amanda Dallin said:

In the 1920s, the KKK and the Democratic National Convention had a huge overlap in membership.

Yes - at the time the Democratic party was largely a coalition between southern whites and northern ethnic (i.e. Catholic) whites, with the latter proportion growing rapidly. For similar reasons Congress never got off their butts and reapportioned House districts after the 1920 census because there was such a swing in population from rural to urban areas.

28 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Yes - at the time the Democratic party was largely a coalition between southern whites and northern ethnic (i.e. Catholic) whites, with the latter proportion growing rapidly. For similar reasons Congress never got off their butts and reapportioned House districts after the 1920 census because there was such a swing in population from rural to urban areas.

You're statement is correct except Congress doesn't reapportion House districts. State legislatures do.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:20 AM, Beth Macbain said:

Much like this entire thread suggesting LL react to COVID-19 by capitalizing on it?

For the people who truly do not understand why this is such an atrocious idea, take a look at this and this and this for just a few examples. 

Good thing the Lindens ignore the forums when they make marketing decisions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.